Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Power of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power of God

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God. (1Cor. 2:1-5).

Hi friends, let's contextualize the above verses and then proceed to explain the bolded. Let's hone in on the "demonstration of the Spirit and of power" and "power of God". Precisely what does that mean? How does it manifest itself? I'm guessing not like this:

How does this edify the body?

And, just as a side note, when we see people worship the Lord in the Bible, they fall on their face. When they are experiencing the judgment of God, they fall backward.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The dude is a Jedi!

yeah what CP said.

I think what Paul meant was even though he came in weakness and his speech was not eloquent, people were saved and convicted by the power of God through the Holy Spirit. Not some magic show.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I think what Paul meant was even though he came in weakness and his speech was not eloquent, people were saved and convicted by the power of God through the Holy Spirit. Not some magic show.
        You are going to be convicted (not convinced) of bad word choice . . . hmmm, maybe you did mean "convicted." Yeah, that does seem to make sense.
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

The dude is a Jedi!

yeah what CP said.

I think that makes sense, after-all, it is the Holy Spirit who convicts people. And this conviction is an internal spiritual thing not...throwing people around.

Although I do have to wonder about this because at least in his letters and as reported in Acts, Paul doesn't come across as someone weak or lacking in eloquence. Quite the opposite. God inspires scripture, but I don't think that means scripture is completely devoid of any reflection of the human authors. And from what we have from Paul, he comes across as a highly educated and intelligent leader, not trembling or stuttering or timid. Of course, I could be wrong. Anyone have any thoughts on this or how it would relate to what Paul said?
          Last edited by Paula; 03-15-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't throwing people around be potentially lethal? Merely knocking some one over wouldn't be impressive.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

The dude is a Jedi!

yeah what CP said.

How do you think the power of God and the Holy Spirit manifested in Paul's preaching, how was it "demonstrated"?

Comment

Originally posted by Paula View Post
                I think that makes sense, after-all, it is the Holy Spirit who convicts people. And this conviction is an internal spiritual thing not...throwing people around.

Although I do have to wonder about this because at least in his letters and as reported in Acts, Paul doesn't come across as someone weak or lacking in eloquence. Quite the opposite. God inspires scripture, but I don't think that means scripture is completely devoid of any reflection of the human authors. And from what we have from Paul, he comes across as a highly educated and intelligent leader, not trembling or stuttering or timid. Of course, I could be wrong. Anyone have any thoughts on this or how it would relate to what Paul said?
                Corinth had it's fair share of professional orator's and sophist's so it's possible that Paul deliberately held back. He didn't want the Corinthian's to place his preaching in the same category as the sophist's "so that [their] faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God." My question is what did he do by giving such provision to the Spirit's power? Raise his voice? Bang on the "pulpit"?

Comment

well if he was such an eloquent speaker, then he could have purposefully spoke without eloquence. Or perhaps he didn't do as well in public speaking as he did in his letters. Writing is easier than speaking in front of a crowd, you have more time to gather your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                    How do you think the power of God and the Holy Spirit manifested in Paul's preaching, how was it "demonstrated"?
                    By people coming to Christ.

I had that happen to me once. I was (am) not very good at "preaching" the gospel with people, and I had volunteered at a free medical/clothing clinic at our church once. I was basically an "advocate" who took people around to the various stations to get their teeth checked, then medical needs met, then to a food pantry and clothing center if needed. During the trip I was supposed to share the gospel but I was not very good at it and pretty shy, so after leading someone through the system, I was sitting in the pews feeling bad because I had not gotten anyone to come to Christ. The preacher sat down and asked what was wrong and I told him. He said to me that it was not my job to convince them, that was the job of the Holy Spirit, and that all I had to do was ask them if they wanted to know more about Jesus and if they said yes, to tell them a quick summary of the gospel. And offer to pray with them for any needs they had. So I said, "OK that makes sense" and then the preacher said "look over there, that guy just came in and he needs you to help him find his way around" - so I went to the guy and basically just came out and said "welcome, my name is ____. I am going to be your advocate and take you around the stations. In the meantime let me tell you about Jesus" and I told him the basics about how Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected and that through his sacrifice we could be forgiven and have eternal life. Then I asked him if he would like me to pray with him about anything or would he want to know more? And bam. He said he wanted to be saved and wanted to know how to pray to God and accept Jesus. It sure wasn't my words that convinced him. I was stuttering and shaking the whole time, and I only blurted out the basics. It was the Holy Spirit that did the converting. The power of God was demonstrated for me and him right then and there. God took my lousy speech and made it touch the man's heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                      By people turning to Christ.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        By people turning to Christ.
                        Sure, Paul certainly has conversion in view. He believes that "..the gospel is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes.."(Rom. 1:16). Yet I think there was more going on at times - being filled with the Spirit and demonstrating the Spirit's power through gospel proclamation was done with deep conviction in the Holy Spirit (1 Thes. 1:5) that at times resulted in manifestations of miracles (Acts. 14:3).
                        Last edited by Scrawly; 03-17-2016, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Maybe he was referring to the difference between what men can achieve by their natural gifts, and what can be done through them when God gives His power to their ministry ?

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker
                            "Convince" not "convict"?
                            [Jhn 16:7-11 KJV] 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon -- Reprove - elegchō

reprove.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              [Jhn 16:7-11 KJV] 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon -- Reprove - elegchō

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15212[/ATTACH]
                              Paula apparently confused the two meanings of "conviction":
                              1) the state of being convinced about something and
                              2) the state of being convicted of some evil-doing.
                              I myself thought that "convicted" had only one meaning (sense 1 above), until recently.
                              I think sense 1 (see above) is right for 1 Thessalonians 1:5.
                              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment