PDA

View Full Version : Not the typical guy

Bill the Cat
03-24-2016, 03:52 PM
So, how many of us have sons that aren't the "typical guy" who likes sports or cars?

:hi:

Chaotic Void
03-24-2016, 05:57 PM
I'm one of those sons that's not into sports and cars. :lol:

LostSheep
03-24-2016, 06:02 PM

You're Canuckistani and you don't like hockey??? :huh:

Chaotic Void
03-24-2016, 06:34 PM
You're Canuckistani and you don't like hockey??? :huh:

I liked it when I was trolling my one teacher in High School. He was a Boston Bruins fan, so I wore a Montreal Canadiens jersey to bother him (huge rivalry between the Bruins and the 'Habs'). :smug:

Apologiaphoenix
03-25-2016, 05:33 AM
I am the son who doesn't care for sports and cars. One exception. Mike and my brother-in-law and I might go see a Braves game this summer.

Bill the Cat
03-25-2016, 06:32 AM
Adam kind of likes going to the local Double A baseball team we have here, the Flying Squirrels (:brood:) from time to time, but mainly he wants to try to catch a baseball. He couldn't care less about the game.

It's an interesting thing, having to come out of my comfort zone, so that we have some things in common and can talk dad to son. I've always been into sports... cars, not so much, but I love sports. Adam couldn't care less about them. He loves Minecraft. So, I take the time to learn about his interests and it has made all the difference in our relationship.

Zymologist
03-25-2016, 08:04 AM
I don't care about sports. Pretty sure I'm the only guy in Montana who doesn't. I only care about cars insofar as mine run and get me where I need to go, but I can still appreciate a nice car.

My son sure likes his cars, though. (1 year old)

Littlejoe
03-25-2016, 08:32 AM
So, how many of us have sons that aren't the "typical guy" who likes sports or cars?

:hi:I have one son who does and one son who doesn't. Oldest played baseball and tried football, likes both...and cars! Younger son doesn't even have a drivers license at age 23...:sigh: and could not care less about sports.

Cerebrum123
03-25-2016, 08:55 AM

Same. Now, when I was healthy I was just fine playing sports, but watching them was just boring.

Carrikature
03-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Adam kind of likes going to the local Double A baseball team we have here, the Flying Squirrels (:brood:) from time to time, but mainly he wants to try to catch a baseball. He couldn't care less about the game.

It's an interesting thing, having to come out of my comfort zone, so that we have some things in common and can talk dad to son. I've always been into sports... cars, not so much, but I love sports. Adam couldn't care less about them. He loves Minecraft. So, I take the time to learn about his interests and it has made all the difference in our relationship.

I foresee myself having the opposite problem with my daughter. I couldn't care less about sports. Cars hold some interest, but I never learned to do much mechanically so I don't bother. At almost 5, my daughter is crazy into sports. She's really good at soccer and will probably be starting leagues this summer. She found a basketball and wants to play with that. She's asked to watch football on TV. She asked me to buy her a glove and baseball so I could teach her catch. We went to a local baseball game last summer, and she threw a big fit when we had to leave before it was over (was already 11pm).

Fortunately(?), she's also shown an interest in video games. We have certain nights to play together. That can be nice sometimes, but why sports?!

Maybe I should introduce her to sports video games...

Bill the Cat
03-25-2016, 11:51 AM
I have one son who does and one son who doesn't. Oldest played baseball and tried football, likes both...and cars! Younger son doesn't even have a drivers license at age 23...:sigh: and could not care less about sports.

The funny thing is that both of my girls play volleyball, my oldest climbs rocks, and my youngest loves to watch basketball. :xavier:

supton
05-27-2016, 08:06 PM
I can't speak much--wife has me taken ballet classes.

I do like working on cars, but have given up all hope as to "fun" cars. Too expensive. All about cost. Which is kinda of another number: instead of looking for best 0-60 time, or quarter mile, or what have you, all about cost per mile. It's sorta the same, a numbers game... sorta. Sports, eh, it's not fun if you're not playing. Too boring to watch.

I fear my son won't be into guy stuff. I've (jokingly) offered to let him drive the car (or truck). No interest. I think he's scared. Then again. He has muscular dystrophy. :( In some ways I don't want him to get into stuff that he can't do when he's older. Bad of me I know. But as long as he is under my roof I'll always be looking out for his best interests.

I'm afraid I have no interests in his interests. Minecraft and the like. I guess it's a generational gap.

Jedidiah
05-27-2016, 08:28 PM
My son is not "into" sports or cars. He takes after his dad in those things.

Sparko
06-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I never liked sports much, but I did like cars. Still do. Not fixing them, just appreciating them. Probably the geek in me. The more high-tech the car the better.

Jedidiah
06-03-2016, 06:50 PM
I love cars for getting places. Beats walking.

TheWall
09-23-2016, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't call myself typical.
I don't care much for cars or football and the like. I do enjoy camping. I like reading. History is pretty cool and I do kind of want to join the S.C.A.
I suppose everyone has things they find fascinating that others can't wrap their heads around.

Cow Poke
09-24-2016, 12:36 PM

:hi:

As a youngster, I was only interested in playing baseball and soccer. Never found much need to sit for hours watching others play, and only if I could watch it live in person, not on TV.

As for cars, I enjoyed working on cars out of necessity, cause I never had money to pay mechanics. :smile: As I got older and was in a better financial position, I decided that rebuilding engines and repairing automobiles was something I could pay others to do.

I would not be the least bit worried or concerned if my son (I have two daughters) was not interested in sports or cars. :shrug:

Cow Poke
09-24-2016, 12:39 PM
My son is not "into" sports or cars. He takes after his dad in those things.

Is he "into" bacon?

Jedidiah
09-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Is he "into" bacon?

How could he not be?

Jedidiah
09-24-2016, 05:10 PM
I guess I am not your typical guy. I mean does the "typical guy" keep bees?

Cow Poke
09-24-2016, 05:14 PM
I guess I am not your typical guy. I mean does the "typical guy" keep bees?

Probably typically not.

Sparko
09-26-2016, 07:02 AM
You are unique. Just like everybody else.

Cow Poke
09-26-2016, 07:31 AM

I'm uniquer.

Jedidiah
10-01-2016, 10:45 PM
I'm uniquer.

Me too.

Cerebrum123
10-02-2016, 01:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

KingsGambit
10-02-2016, 01:45 PM
I made the mistake of admitting at work that I didn't care about football.

Cerebrum123
10-02-2016, 01:59 PM
I made the mistake of admitting at work that I didn't care about football.

Try saying you don't care about music and see what happens. :yes:

Jedidiah
10-02-2016, 07:10 PM
I don't care about football, and my failing hearing has stolen my enjoyment of music.

Sparko
10-03-2016, 07:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCKONHUigVk