Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

My best friend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My best friend.

It was probably a mistake to comeback to this forum while my emotions are so high.

Recently, I've had to watch my beloved Labrador of sixteen years draw closer to her end, and it's ripped my hear like nothing else. I've been through break-ups, broken arms, cracked pelvis, vertigo, family troubles, and career issues but this is the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I was going to do it today but it wasn't the right moment for several reasons.

Thing is, I've dealt with this dozens of times before but this time is just so much worse. After she's gone, I will not have an animal for the first time in my life. I've had to go through the process and then bury them afterwards but she's just different - though I truly loved all of animals equally. She's got a personality like no other It seems like just yesterday I found her - she was a stray. I can honestly she has been more faithful and loving than many of the people in my life.

Despite all of this I would do it all over again without a second though, and I hope you all will too. If you are thinking of getting a pet (or someone else is) please adopt one from a shelter, you will be saving it's life! And man... do they give you something in return that you can't put a price on.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...17868183,d.eWE

I know it is hard Sea. My dad found a stray puppy on the James River when I was young, and we had Ace for 16 years. He was my dad's buddy. When the time finally came, he couldn't bear to turn around and walk away, so the attendant at the shelter had to take him and go behind a closed door. To this day, 20 years later, my dad has never wanted another dog. They become part of you. So sorry for your pain.

Bill
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      It was probably a mistake to comeback to this forum while my emotions are so high.

Recently, I've had to watch my beloved Labrador of sixteen years draw closer to her end, and it's ripped my hear like nothing else. I've been through break-ups, broken arms, cracked pelvis, vertigo, family troubles, and career issues but this is the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I was going to do it today but it wasn't the right moment for several reasons.

Thing is, I've dealt with this dozens of times before but this time is just so much worse. After she's gone, I will not have an animal for the first time in my life. I've had to go through the process and then bury them afterwards but she's just different - though I truly loved all of animals equally. She's got a personality like no other It seems like just yesterday I found her - she was a stray. I can honestly she has been more faithful and loving than many of the people in my life.

Despite all of this I would do it all over again without a second though, and I hope you all will too. If you are thinking of getting a pet (or someone else is) please adopt one from a shelter, you will be saving it's life! And man... do they give you something in return that you can't put a price on.

OK, I used to be one of those who would have said, "oh, grow up, it's just a dog".

Then Jake came a long.

I didn't want a dog - my wife did. And we rescued Jake from a shelter where, supposedly, the next day was to be Jake's "bad day".

For whatever reason, Jake took to me. He pretty much ignores my wife, and follows me everywhere, sitting at my feet, laying on the floor on my side of the bed, wanting to go for car rides with me, etc....

It didn't take long at all to realize how much it would hurt if something happened to Jake. He's only 5 people years old, and I'm already thinking about....

I can't say I understand how you feel, SoR.... but I think I'm heading in that direction.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I do understand how you feel, sea.

I had to take our last 2 cats to the vet for their last visit. About 5 years apart. It tore me up to leave them there, especially the last one. We got her from a shelter as a wee kitten, and she lived with us about 18 years. As she aged, we decided that she would our last pet. And I cannot remember a time in my life when there was not a cat in the house.

I still miss her horribly. I still see her sometimes out of the corner of my eye, in one of her favourite haunts around the house. And she's been gone 5 years or so.

Our pets manage to insert themselves into our homes and hearts with very little effort, and the pain of losing a beloved animal is very real.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Last edited by mossrose; 03-26-2016, 07:42 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

While I've had and loved several dogs over the years there is still only one that I always think of as "my dog." That was nearly 30 years ago. He was one of my closest and dearest friends. He was family. He died when he was only ten and had been sick for about the last two. The last of his many trips to the vet it was the only time he refused to let the nurse take him into the back. He insisted on coming back to me and jumped up and licked my face. He died less than an hour later. It was like he knew and wanted to say good bye. I know that I will never stop missing him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I totally understand. Losing a pet is the loss of a family. I've lost three. My first two were my kitty cat, one partial stray we started feeding when she was a kitten, eventually we took her in and she lived with us for her long 17 year life the the other a rescue kitten whom developed fatty liver and only lived 5 years The last was our beloved Standard Poodle Hannah, who passed a few years ago and watching her life draw to a close was gut wrenching for me. Animal companionship is part of who we are as humans.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yeah, it's tough losing a beloved pet. And 16 years for a lab is doing pretty good.

I'm not much of a dog person, but I'll even miss my aunt & uncle's dogs when they go - the viszla seems to have taken a shine to me for some reason.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Perhaps you smell like bacon?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Perhaps you smell like bacon?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post

I went through that with my last dog, Max. He was truly my best friend. He ended up with cancer when he was 13, and I just couldn't let him go. I spent around $4K to get him treatments and they actually helped and he gained another year. But the cancer came back and I had to put him to sleep when it got too bad. It was like ripping my own heart out. I felt like I was betraying him by taking him to the vet to be put to sleep. I know I was stopping his suffering but I felt so guilty. I held him as he died and I cried for about a week every time I thought of him (still get misty even writing this). I tried to go without a pet for a while but after only a couple of months the house felt so empty I decided to get another dog. I went to a schnauzer rescue and found my next buddy, Taz. Taz is now almost 13 years old himself, and they just found a heart murmer in him. Other than that he is still doing well, but I know he can't last that much longer and the pain will be back again. I only pray that when his time comes, it comes naturally and I don't have to put him to sleep.

It is truly rough losing a pet. They are with you every day, loving you and playing with you.

I am glad you came back here SoR. I hope you find a new best friend when your current one is gone. It really does help with the pain.

Comment

I think that people and pets are so special because they are examples of how God wanted us to relate to the animals when he created Adam and Eve. He gave mankind dominion over the animals, not to harm them or control them, but to guide them and work with them and love them. And pets love us and look to us the way God intended. There is love and trust between us and our pets.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I am glad you came back here SoR. I hope you find a new best friend when your current one is gone. It really does help with the pain.
                        A few years ago we lost two dogs in one weeek. We decided that there would be no more dogs. It just hurt too much to lose them. But eventually we got another dog and love her dearly.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          A few years ago we lost two dogs in one weeek. We decided that there would be no more dogs. It just hurt too much to lose them. But eventually we got another dog and love her dearly.
                          yeah that was what I was going to do. I rationalized it by saying I couldn't deal with the loss again, and a pet ties you down, you can't leave it alone too long without having to come home to take care of it, or you have to put it in a kennel during trips, etc. But the reality is that the pet is more than worth the trouble and loss is part of life, and the joy you get from the pet makes up for it all.

I will definitely get another dog when Taz passes away. I was thinking of getting another one now to buffer the loss when it happens, but taking care of two dogs costs too much and is too much for me to handle right now. Plus Taz is an ornery old dog who just wants to be left alone to lay on the couch. A puppy or younger dog would just bother him too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            yeah that was what I was going to do. I rationalized it by saying I couldn't deal with the loss again, and a pet ties you down, you can't leave it alone too long without having to come home to take care of it, or you have to put it in a kennel during trips, etc. But the reality is that the pet is more than worth the trouble and loss is part of life, and the joy you get from the pet makes up for it all.

I will definitely get another dog when Taz passes away. I was thinking of getting another one now to buffer the loss when it happens, but taking care of two dogs costs too much and is too much for me to handle right now. Plus Taz is an ornery old dog who just wants to be left alone to lay on the couch. A puppy or younger dog would just bother him too much.
                            It's hard work keeping the couch from floating off

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              It's hard work keeping the couch from floating off
                              I help out all I can.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X