Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Koi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koi

As part of the massive overhaul of our yard, I'm going to be creating/building a koi pond.

Have any of you owned koi? Know any tips/tricks I should know for their care, particularly as regards designing the habitat? I will be talking to people here locally and doing other research, but I figured I'd get firsthand knowledge if anyone had some.
    I'm not here anymore.

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    As part of the massive overhaul of our yard, I'm going to be creating/building a koi pond.

Have any of you owned koi? Know any tips/tricks I should know for their care, particularly as regards designing the habitat? I will be talking to people here locally and doing other research, but I figured I'd get firsthand knowledge if anyone had some.
    We used to have one here at tweb where you could even feed them

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

When I moved into my home there was a plastic koi pond in the back yard. I didn't put any fish in it but I did use it as a water fountain. But a couple of years later it cracked and I had to fix it with silicon, then the next year it broke again and I finally gave up. I pulled it out a few weeks ago (been sitting empty for about a year now)

So if you do make a koi pond, don't use those black plastic tubs. They will rot and crack on you after a few years. Use concrete, or dig a whole and put in a liner or something.

I have no idea what would happen to the fish in the winter if it gets cold enough to freeze where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        When I moved into my home there was a plastic koi pond in the back yard. I didn't put any fish in it but I did use it as a water fountain. But a couple of years later it cracked and I had to fix it with silicon, then the next year it broke again and I finally gave up. I pulled it out a few weeks ago (been sitting empty for about a year now)

So if you do make a koi pond, don't use those black plastic tubs. They will rot and crack on you after a few years. Use concrete, or dig a whole and put in a liner or something.

I have no idea what would happen to the fish in the winter if it gets cold enough to freeze where you are.
        I have a first cousin in Rochester, NY, who has a koi pond.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

In even a medium sized pond I know they can get big. Down the road from one of my relative's house somebody threw some in to get rid of them. Now they are like 3 feet long or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            In even a medium sized pond I know they can get big. Down the road from one of my relative's house somebody threw some in to get rid of them. Now they are like 3 feet long or so.
            Seasquatch!!

Comment

Seasquatch!!
              Nope, not the same lake. They are also too small even then. Besides, koi are colorful*, the Seasquatch is dark brown, with some lighter coloring near his belly.

*Well, at least the ones I've seen.

Comment

a mate of mine uses his bow to fish for them in the Waikato river.
                http://nzbowhunters.co.nz/public_htm...information-2/
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I was thinking I'd dig a hole and line it. I have a small one in my front yard that I'm going to demolish. It's concrete, but it's cracked as well. Fixing it means draining the pond, though. I'm sure something similar happens with liner. I'll have to look into it.

Koi actually go dormant in the winter. The little bit of reading I've done indicates that you want to keep the water circulating a little to keep it from freezing over. I'm not sure what temperatures they can handle, but it very rarely freezes here.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    a mate of mine uses his bow to fish for them in the Waikato river.
                    http://nzbowhunters.co.nz/public_htm...information-2/
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

On the serious side, when living in South Africa my brother had a very big koi pond, and even made a stream that lead to a waterfall into the pond.it had a very deep section by the waterfall (about 6 foot) leading to a shallow "swampy" section that had lots of water plants that then went into the pump (so the koi would not be able to get into the pump)

Unfortunately from what I can see on street view, the new owners have filled it in the last 9 years.
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I was thinking I'd dig a hole and line it. I have a small one in my front yard that I'm going to demolish. It's concrete, but it's cracked as well. Fixing it means draining the pond, though. I'm sure something similar happens with liner. I'll have to look into it.

Koi actually go dormant in the winter. The little bit of reading I've done indicates that you want to keep the water circulating a little to keep it from freezing over. I'm not sure what temperatures they can handle, but it very rarely freezes here.
                        Yeah almost everything will break down eventually. Instead of Koi you should raise catfish, then you can eat them.

Comment

Yeah almost everything will break down eventually. Instead of Koi you should raise catfish, then you can eat them.
                          From what I've been reading, you can eat koi too. I don't really care for catfish that much.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

From what I've been reading, you can eat koi too. I don't really care for catfish that much.
                            They are fun to catch though.

Comment

I don't know anything about koi in winter, but the marine has a koi pond he tends to help him with his PTSD. I see it whenever I stop by, which is a few times a week.

It's dug in with a liner, and fairly small, maybe 3' by 10' and three or four feet deep, but that's enough to handle just under a dozen, I think, all of them about three years old now, and about a foot long. He's already expanded the pool once, and he's getting ready to expand it again.

It's covered with canvas over a trellis to protect the liner from south Florida sun, both of which he scavenged from behind a nearby fabric store, the point being this can all be done very much on the cheap.

There's one electric pump that filters directly back into the pool for circulation with a split running through a fountain.

The bottom of the pool is lined with gravel and a fish bridge. He's got plants growing above and on the sides of the pool, and some led strips for decorative lighting.

It looks pretty good.

Go ahead and try it for yourself. It's friendly to improvisation, and even if it all goes sideways is easy enough to set up and try again.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X