Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why do some(many?) people misuse wisdom literature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some(many?) people misuse wisdom literature?

They're not concrete law codes or books of absolute prophecies! Why do people keep using verses from Psalms or Proverbs or one of the other wisdom books to support their doctrinal views? Bonus if they use only verses from Wisdom literature while ignoring all the context. After all, the Devil used a verse from Psalms to claim that Jesus would be okay jumping off the Temple. Of course Jesus knows better than to do something stupid like leaping off a building because you might get saved. And testing God is a terrible idea.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Paul does it in Romans 3:10-18, where he cites Psalm 5:9, 140:3, 10:7, Proverbs 1:16. But still, he takes it figuratively. Do wicked people really have sacks of venom under their lips?

When David said he was conceived in sin (Psalm 51:5), is that enough basis to state that we are all born sinners? It's like that question, are we sinners because we commit sins, or do we commit sins because we are sinners?
    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      Paul does it in Romans 3:10-18, where he cites Psalm 5:9, 140:3, 10:7, Proverbs 1:16. But still, he takes it figuratively. Do wicked people really have sacks of venom under their lips?

When David said he was conceived in sin (Psalm 51:5), is that enough basis to state that we are all born sinners? It's like that question, are we sinners because we commit sins, or do we commit sins because we are sinners?
      Paul knew how to use rhetoric and how to incorporate older material into his letter. I don't think using a verse from a poem to say that we literally are born sinners is the best idea.

Comment

Jesus called a Psalm Law: ". . . Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? . . . ."
        ". . . I have said, Ye [are] gods; . . ." -- Psalm 82:6.

No modern Jew would do so.

Jesus claimed, ". . . And he said unto them, These [are] the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and [in] the prophets, and [in] the psalms, concerning me. . . ." -- Luke 24:44.

Peter cited Psalms as prophecies of Christ's resurrection. As did the Apostle Paul. For example, ". . . God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. . . . "
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          It's like that question, are we sinners because we commit sins, or do we commit sins because we are sinners?
          Yes
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ever hear of high context societies? I'm just annoyed when people treat the Bible as if it were written yesterday in our culture.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X