Girl Scout Cookies - the numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Scout Cookies - the numbers

OK, somebody who knows some background....

First, I love my ThinMints!

Second, our company has shipped over $67,000 dollars worth of Girl Scout Cookies to our troops, so I HAVE been a big supporter.

I've been hearing lately that the national organization is involved in some pretty liberal politics. I'd like more information on that.

Meanwhile, does anybody know how much of the $4.00 per box actually goes to the local troop selling them? Supposedly, it's only something like 25 cents a box, and the thought is to just write a check to the local troop, and skip the cookies.

Comments?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I think this was what I heard (I only heard the tail end of it)

Source: Catholic News Agency

In recent years, the Girl Scouts have tacked left, and criticism has mounted – over their programs and their partnerships with America’s leading abortion provider, Planned Parenthood. (As an aside, the Scouts mislead families and churches into believing that they have no relationship with Planned Parenthood at any level; they maintain that “Girl Scouts of the USA (i.e. the national office) does not have a relationship or partnership with Planned Parenthood,” but say nothing about the many local Girl Scout councils that do partner with Planned Parenthood and its teen subsidiaries.

© Copyright Original Source

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/cw/post.php?id=621
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Girl Scouts US >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

>
      >>

>>>>>>

>>>>>

> Boy Scouts US.

The gulf between the organisations is phenomenal.

Comment

Well here's my understanding as I have checked carefully into Girl Scouts. Its kind of like a "unitarian" run organization. They encourage strong woman, and then let the local troops decide how to run their idea of what a strong woman should be. So if a troop comes out of a church, the values and charities that troop picks will associate with that church. If it comes out of a school district, it will associate with the parents who run it. I guess one just has to kind of pick and choose. But on a national level it really is not affiliated with much of anything other than a set of loose rules that local groups may interpret at their discretion. Which won't stop me from buying thin mints from the church troops.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Chrs View Post
          Girl Scouts US >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

>
          >>

>>>>>>

>>>>>

> Boy Scouts US.

The gulf between the organisations is phenomenal.
          Well, duh... one deals with boys, the other with that other sex.
          No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Well here's my understanding as I have checked carefully into Girl Scouts. Its kind of like a "unitarian" run organization. They encourage strong woman, and then let the local troops decide how to run their idea of what a strong woman should be. So if a troop comes out of a church, the values and charities that troop picks will associate with that church. If it comes out of a school district, it will associate with the parents who run it. I guess one just has to kind of pick and choose. But on a national level it really is not affiliated with much of anything other than a set of loose rules that local groups may interpret at their discretion. Which won't stop me from buying thin mints from the church troops.
            I'm waiting to see what my wife does. She was involved with GS, but IIRC she went "independent" or rogue or whatever it was, not affiliated with a troop. My daughter hasn't heard of GS and that's probably a good thing (too many activities at the moment) but I'll be curious with my kids if we go into that or not.
            No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
              I'm waiting to see what my wife does. She was involved with GS, but IIRC she went "independent" or rogue or whatever it was, not affiliated with a troop. My daughter hasn't heard of GS and that's probably a good thing (too many activities at the moment) but I'll be curious with my kids if we go into that or not.
              Because it is so individualized on the local level, I am looking into local troops here for my daughter. Of course we'll find out what they do. But as long as they aren't participating in something we don't support or find heinously wrong, I don't see why not. Its just not something I have an issue with.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment