Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Morality Of James Savile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Morality Of James Savile

Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile, (31 October 1926 – 29 October 2011), commonly known as Jimmy Savile, was an English DJ, television and radio personality, dance hall manager, and charity fundraiser. He hosted the BBC television show Jim'll Fix It, was the first and last presenter of the long-running BBC music chart show Top of the Pops, and raised an estimated £40 million for charities.[2] At the time of his death he was widely praised for his personal qualities and as a fund-raiser.[3] After his death, hundreds of allegations of sexual abuse were made against him, leading the police to believe that Savile was a predatory sex offender[4]—possibly one of Britain's most prolific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile
    So he rapes women and children for decades, fools everyone and dies a good old age. In a godless universe (where everyone dies anyway) - Jimmy, the sexual predator wins!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    So he rapes women and children for decades, fools everyone and dies a good old age. In a godless universe (where everyone dies anyway) - Jimmy, the sexual predator wins!
    So do many priests, ministers and evangelical leaders, whether the universe is Godless or not.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      So do many priests, ministers and evangelical leaders, whether the universe is Godless or not.
      So what? My point does not change, there is no justice in a godless universe.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

So what? My point does not change, there is no justice in a godless universe.
        Apparently in your view no justice in God's universe.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

????

Comment

To play the gerbil's advocate here:

1: I don't like this example because it assumes [person a] has an especially vile sin life whereas [person b] is relatively innocent. That underlying assumption seems to contradict Scripture. In Christian theology are his victims less deserving of hell than Jimmy?

2: I don't like this example because I think the case could be made that Jimmy lost more in this life than he ever gained. I think he entered the next life with a tremendous net deficit of pain. I don't think happy well-adjusted people rape kids. I think I could make the argument that in a godless universe he paid a very large price.

3: You are addressing the topic of fairness. I think in Christian theology the greatest unfairness is me receiving eternal life - and that unfairness causes all others to pale in comparison. Getting away with crime is pretty much the salvation story, isn't it?

4: I think when it comes to a godless universe the extinction of a person is more threatening (or comforting, depending on your view) than someone getting away with a crime.
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I'm a little disturbed that you view getting away with rape as 'winning'.
              I'm glad to see I'm not the only creepy guy on the internet.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                To play the gerbil's advocate here:

1: I don't like this example because it assumes [person a] has an especially vile sin life whereas [person b] is relatively innocent. That underlying assumption seems to contradict Scripture. In Christian theology are his victims less deserving of hell than Jimmy?
                Well some people are more innocent. I would not put the sins of a Hitler on the same level as Joe six pack who never repented. Even Christ spoke of those with the "greater" sin. And the idea of there being sins that lead to death and those that don't.

2: I don't like this example because I think the case could be made that Jimmy lost more in this life than he ever gained. I think he entered the next life with a tremendous net deficit of pain. I don't think happy well-adjusted people rape kids. I think I could make the argument that in a godless universe he paid a very large price.
                You are assuming that his conscience is similar to yours. And there is no "next life" in a godless universe. He most likely was a rather satisfied sociopath.

3: You are addressing the topic of fairness. I think in Christian theology the greatest unfairness is me receiving eternal life - and that unfairness causes all others to pale in comparison. Getting away with crime is pretty much the salvation story, isn't it?
                Except justice was met on your behalf in Christ. So there was justice.

4: I think when it comes to a godless universe the extinction of a person is more threatening (or comforting, depending on your view) than someone getting away with a crime.
                I have no idea what this means.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                  I'm a little disturbed that you view getting away with rape as 'winning'.
                  I'm glad to see I'm not the only creepy guy on the internet.
                  No, he gets away with it all.

Comment

????

Frank

Comment

How so?

Comment

How so?
                        If what you stated is that actual reality of 'things' than logically 'Apparently in your view no justice in God's universe.'

Frank

Comment

If what you stated is that actual reality of 'things' than logically 'Apparently in your view no justice in God's universe.'
                          I have no idea, once again, what your point is.

Comment

Shuny is confusing the objective morality problem with the problem of evil. Or he's trying to turn the tables on you by switching arguments.

Comment

Any evidence that he wasn't a Christian? The Catholic Church is far worse in it's cover-ups.
                              "Look at what happened after the European peoples succeeded in removing the clergy from public life and restricting them to their churches. They built up human being promoted enlightenment, creativity and rebellion. States which are based on religion confine their people in the circle of faith and fear."-Raif Badawi

Comment