Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shot heard around the world be fired first in Conneticut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot heard around the world be fired first in Conneticut?

Now that we have the whole gay distraction issue nonsense out of the way, there seems to be a silent issue in Connecticut regarding gun registration...

"Connecticut’s gun control deadline requiring gun registration has come and gone — putting tens of thousands of law-abiding citizens at risk of felony charges, should officials decide to crack down on what one gun owner called a stand of “civil disobedience.”

Last January after the Sandy Hook shooting, Connecticut passed a stringent new gun control laws, and in April, Gov. Dannel Mallory approved restrictions which redefined the definition of an “assault weapon” to ban 100 more types of semi-automatic weapons. The law’s grandfather clause allowed gun owners already possessing AR-15s and similar weapons to keep them, but they must submit their personal information to a statewide registry. A photo taken by George Roelofson depicting long lines of gun owners waiting to register their weapons and ammunition went viral in December as the law’s deadline approached:

Now, as Connecticut’s The Courant estimates, as many as 100,000 gun owners with 350,000 unregistered weapons have yet to come forward, making state officials uneasy. Furthermore, estimates concerning banned magazines holding more than ten rounds — which have no serial numbers and are impossible to track unless registered — show that only 36,932 have been entered into the state’s databases, while over two million remain on the market.

“I honestly thought from my own standpoint that the vast majority would register. If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don’t follow them, then you have a real problem,” Republican state Sen. Tony Guglielmo, ranking senator on the legislature’s public safety committee, told The Courant."

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/13/la...ister-weapons/
    If this comes to your state (and it's almost a sure thing that it will), as a gun owner, will you register your guns?

I can't see this happening in Texas in my lifetime, and a long time after. But not for lack of trying on the part of liberals.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't think I would. I'd also look into moving to a more gun-friendly state.

Seriously, I'm single so it wouldn't be too hard to move. Getting my professional certifications to transfer might be difficult, though. Montana and Texas would be good possibilities. I like Texas, but it's way too hot there in the summer.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, seanD. I honestly hadn't heard any whispering about this.
      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I can't see this happening in Texas in my lifetime, and a long time after. But not for lack of trying on the part of liberals.
        Never say never when public emotion and hysteria are at play. Who would have ever thought we'd have things like the NDAA and the NSA prism program initiated on US citizens, but all it took was 911. All it takes a couple more mass shootings, MSM sensationalism, public mass hysteria and there's no telling what policy any state will or won't accept. The weird thing is is that the republicans are going along with it. Makes it difficult to distinguish the lines between "liberal" and "conservative" in these instances.
        Last edited by seanD; 02-27-2014, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Never say never when public emotion and hysteria are at play.
          True that -- but I'm old! So, "in my lifetime" ends fairly soon, and "a long time after" was chosen instead of never, because, well... what you said.

Who would have ever thought we'd have things like the NDAA and the NSA prism program initiated on US citizens, but all it took was 911. All it takes a couple more mass shootings, MSM sensationalism, public mass hysteria and there's no telling what policy any state will or won't accept. The weird thing is is that the republicans are going along with it. Makes it difficult to distinguish the lines between "liberal" and "conservative" in these instances.
          I try not to use "republican" and "democrat" labels anymore for that very reason -- and I just finished writing to my republican representatives/congresspeople telling them I'm disgusted with them, and voting independent.

Seriously, though... I think Texas is pretty isolated from this "anti gun" hysteria for the foreseeable future.

(Then, again, I never IMAGINED that one day I would be vilified for simply saying that 'marriage is one man and one woman'. )
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What do you think the Connecticut residents should do, aside from moving out of the state? Technically the state has deemed them as felons. Let’s just hypothetically assume that it happens in every state (not all that farfetched of a hypothetical). I’d really be interested in hearing from Christians that own arms what their opinions are about it. How should they handle this on a moral level?

Comment

I have only vaguely followed this, and I *thought* the registration was only for "assault" weapons, not for all guns. And certainly not for ammunition. But for those evil high capacity magazines.

*checks to see how tracable this computer is... gives up, beyond me*

No, I would not register. I'd first move, or try really hard to move to someplace more free. I'm 99% sure my wife would be fully behind me, she isn't much of a gun fan but has gone shooting with me on occasion. She is no fan of where this country is headed. But sorry CP, unless if Northern Texas is different than the rest of it, we would have no plans of moving there!
              No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
                No, I would not register. I'd first move, or try really hard to move to someplace more free. I'm 99% sure my wife would be fully behind me, she isn't much of a gun fan but has gone shooting with me on occasion. She is no fan of where this country is headed. But sorry CP, unless if Northern Texas is different than the rest of it, we would have no plans of moving there!
                Them folks are yankees.

Comment

I like how you think northern Texas is "north", hehe.

As long as there's no belt buckles, 32 gallon hats and no heat/humidity, I *might* be persuaded to move. Some day. Some century.
                  No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

What do you think the Connecticut residents should do, aside from moving out of the state? Technically the state has deemed them as felons. Let’s just hypothetically assume that it happens in every state (not all that farfetched of a hypothetical). I’d really be interested in hearing from Christians that own arms what their opinions are about it. How should they handle this on a moral level?
                    I think it's pretty much like Christians in the old Soviet Union did for decades... they understood, for example, that owning or possessing a Bible was illegal, and they understood that getting caught with one could result in a beating, jail time, or even death. The evaluated the risk, and made the choice to keep their Bibles.
                    In that case, Acts 5:[29]*Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

But, yeah, I realize that owning a gun is not the same as owning a Bible. It's just a matter of -- have you evaluated the risk as opposed to the liberty, and are you willing to accept the consequences?

Comment

From your cite: "If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don’t follow them, then you have a real problem."

Forget moving out of state. There won't be mass action against them. It's impossible on the face of it. They have an estimate as to how many exist. That's it. They're not even trackable, by their own admission. That's one reason, out of many, that Texas is unlikely to ever implement such a policy.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
                        I have only vaguely followed this, and I *thought* the registration was only for "assault" weapons, not for all guns.
                        Yet!
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          From your cite: "If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don’t follow them, then you have a real problem."

Forget moving out of state. There won't be mass action against them. It's impossible on the face of it. They have an estimate as to how many exist. That's it. They're not even trackable, by their own admission. That's one reason, out of many, that Texas is unlikely to ever implement such a policy.
                          Nothing is impossible. Authorities don’t have to go after all the guns. They could go after a few just to set an example. The remaining gun owners then become even more defiant and vocal about their noncompliance. Now the state is on the spot. Do they back down and show how weak they are, or do they apply even more pressure? A scenario like that can easily escalate. So I don’t think that one can assume any absolutes in this argument. But I'm not really concerned about whether it's possible or not... it is. I'm more interested in how gun owners, specifically Christians, will handle it within that hypothetical scenario.

CP, kudos to your answer.
                          Last edited by seanD; 02-27-2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Why are people so against a gun registry?

Comment

In related news:

Colorado’s package of gun laws, enacted this year after mass shootings in Aurora, Colo., and Newtown, Conn., has been hailed as a victory by advocates of gun control. But if Sheriff Cooke and a majority of the other county sheriffs in Colorado offer any indication, the new laws — which mandate background checks for private gun transfers and outlaw magazines over 15 rounds — may prove nearly irrelevant across much of the state’s rural regions.

Some sheriffs, like Sheriff Cooke, are refusing to enforce the laws, saying that they are too vague and violate Second Amendment rights. Many more say that enforcement will be “a very low priority,” as several sheriffs put it. All but seven of the 62 elected sheriffs in Colorado signed on in May to a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the statutes.

This year, the new gun laws in Colorado have become political flash points. Two state senators who supported the legislation were recalled in elections in September; a third resigned last month rather than face a recall. Efforts to repeal the statutes are already in the works.

In New York State, where Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo signed one of the toughest gun law packages in the nation last January, two sheriffs have said publicly they would not enforce the laws — inaction that Mr. Cuomo said would set “a dangerous and frightening precedent.”

In Liberty County, Fla., a jury in October acquitted a sheriff who had been suspended and charged with misconduct after he released a man arrested by a deputy on charges of carrying a concealed firearm. The sheriff, who was immediately reinstated by the governor, said he was protecting the man’s Second Amendment rights.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment