Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Honey bee season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey bee season

I lost 3 our of 4 hives

I should be glad. In years gone by I rarely got any through the winter. Last year I got 2 out of 3 through. There was at least one goof which I have to take responsibility for. but still

I have all the equipment cleaned up and ready to put new bees in. My new packages will arrive in the next few days.

The fun is about to begin.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Too bad about the lost hives, Jed. But glad you are ready to go for the new season.

I haven't seen any bees around yet. There isn't much leafing out and certainly no blooms yet, though, so that's likely a good thing.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

jed I was just watching a tv show about bees. they said the bees collect enough nectar to last the hive through the winter. so ai was wondering... if people collect their honey, how do the bees have enough to eat through the winter?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        jed I was just watching a tv show about bees. they said the bees collect enough nectar to last the hive through the winter. so ai was wondering... if people collect their honey, how do the bees have enough to eat through the winter?
        Two ways.

One can either just harvest the excess, as bees keep putting it away and store up much more than they need.

Or you can do what I have been doing, take most of their honey and feed them sugar syrup which they then use to make a honey substitute. I am working on moving from the second to the first. Problem is I have to reliably be able to get my bees through the long Alaskan winter first, because I have to sell honey to get money to replace my bees if they don't survive. Long story.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Two ways.

One can either just harvest the excess, as bees keep putting it away and store up much more than they need.

Or you can do what I have been doing, take most of their honey and feed them sugar syrup which they then use to make a honey substitute. I am working on moving from the second to the first. Problem is I have to reliably be able to get my bees through the long Alaskan winter first, because I have to sell honey to get money to replace my bees if they don't survive. Long story.
          interesting story though.

This year I haven't seen many honey bees in my yard, just wasps and a couple of bumblebees. I think the wasps are keeping them away.

Comment

interesting story though.

This year I haven't seen many honey bees in my yard, just wasps and a couple of bumblebees. I think the wasps are keeping them away.
            Wasps and honeybees are not normally competitors. With some unusual exceptions. Wasps are carnivorous and honeybees eat only nectar and pollen.

Comment

Wasps and honeybees are not normally competitors. With some unusual exceptions. Wasps are carnivorous and honeybees eat only nectar and pollen.
              really? The wasps in my yard are hitting on the flowers. Don't they make honey for their nests too?

Comment

really? The wasps in my yard are hitting on the flowers. Don't they make honey for their nests too?
                No they do not make any honey. When on the flowers they will likely be looking for small bugs. I have seen them collecting nectar in the fall, but only for immediate energy - not to make honey.

Comment

No they do not make any honey. When on the flowers they will likely be looking for small bugs. I have seen them collecting nectar in the fall, but only for immediate energy - not to make honey.
                  so they actually serve a purpose to keep bugs off of my plants? Nice. I guess I won't mess with them like I planned to. Just keep them away from my front and back doors.

Comment

And keep yourself away from them. They can hurt, and they don't lose their stingers!
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

so they actually serve a purpose to keep bugs off of my plants? Nice. I guess I won't mess with them like I planned to. Just keep them away from my front and back doors.
                      That is my policy with wasps. If they are somewhere they cause problems, good bye wasps. Otherwise they are okay.

Comment

My dad hates them. I gather there were nasty ones in Vietnam.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          And keep yourself away from them. They can hurt, and they don't lose their stingers!
                          I learned that last summer. I was trimming my bushes in front and apparently they set up a nest inside. My trimming disturbed them and they attacked. Got a couple of stings before I got away. Kinda afraid to trim my bushes this year. Probably will wear gloves and a jacket if I do.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            My dad hates them. I gather there were nasty ones in Vietnam.
                            There are some really nasty wasps, but there are some pretty nasty bees as well. I met a young man at the fair who, in the army, had been on training maneuvers somewhere in Central America. The set up camp at night in the dark. In the morning when they began to move they were attacked by "Killer Bees."

Comment

I learned that last summer. I was trimming my bushes in front and apparently they set up a nest inside. My trimming disturbed them and they attacked. Got a couple of stings before I got away. Kinda afraid to trim my bushes this year. Probably will wear gloves and a jacket if I do.
                              Check them out early by gently looking inside. They are not so fierce when their nest is smaller, later in the summer they can be a challenge.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X