Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Universal nature of liberal experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal nature of liberal experience

Mystical experiences are the same the world over. The differences come in where people try not explain them then they fall back upon religious doctrine and culture. The universal nature is a good argument for God.

(1) Religion is cultural constructed

(2) Religious experiences transcend culture

(3) culturally constructed experi9ence can't transcend culture unless people are experiencing an objective reality.

(4) Therefor, since the experiences are the same there must be an objective reality that is being experienced

(5) the content of the experience is about the divine therefore, the reality experienced the divine.

Here is an essay that explains how the studies work and makes arguments
    Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

you can pretend it's not here but it disproves the BS he spews in the other thread.
    Metacrock's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by metacrock View Post
      (4) Therefor, since the experiences are the same there must be an objective reality that is being experienced
      I would hesitate on that point. Look at how many people have near-death experiences. They all describe a tunnel with light at the end. Or at least all the ones that get published. Does that confirm that they all went to heaven? I'd rather think that they all had the sudden loss of blood pressure leading to the same sensation.
      When I Survey....

Comment

you can pretend it's not here but it disproves the BS he spews in the other thread.
        No one's saying that that you did not present the Universal Arguments for the Existence of God, just that they're all 'god-of-the-gap' arguments. That is "the logical fallacies that occur when Goddidit (or a variant) is invoked to explain some natural phenomena that science cannot (at the time of the argument). "God of the gaps" is a bad argument not only on logical grounds, but on empirical grounds: there is a long history of "gaps" being filled and the gap for God thus getting smaller and smaller, suggesting "we don't know yet" as an alternative that works better in practice; naturalistic explanations for still-mysterious phenomena are always possible, especially in the future where more information may be uncovered."

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          I would hesitate on that point. Look at how many people have near-death experiences. They all describe a tunnel with light at the end. Or at least all the ones that get published. Does that confirm that they all went to heaven? I'd rather think that they all had the sudden loss of blood pressure leading to the same sensation.
          The problem is I have specific research establishing this. It's not just speculation you are comparing it to other things that you've heard, but it's established by specific studies. You are arguing from anecdote but my point is established by a number of specific studies.

http://metacrock.blogspot.com/2016/0...ural-part.html

you can't explain the kind of dramatic changes in life experienced in tye studies by theories about blood pressure.
          Last edited by metacrock; 04-19-2016, 06:23 AM.
          Metacrock's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            No one's saying that that you did not present the Universal Arguments for the Existence of God, just that they're all 'god-of-the-gap' arguments.
            there is no gap. you are just searching for a term to sound official that term doesn't[t apply they turn on a gap they have positive proof through empirical research

That is "the logical fallacies that occur when Goddidit (or a variant) is invoked to explain some natural phenomena that science cannot (at the time of the argument). "God of the gaps" is a bad argument not only on logical grounds, but on empirical grounds: there is a long history of "gaps" being filled and the gap for God thus getting smaller and smaller, suggesting "we don't know yet" as an alternative that works better in practice; naturalistic explanations for still-mysterious phenomena are always possible, especially in the future where more information may be uncovered."
            explin what yo8 think that term means and why you think it fits here>? where's the gap?

you put up a link that nothing to do with my argument. your link apparel says all God arguments are GOTG and that is BS.
            Metacrock's Blog

Comment

Mystical experiences are the same the world over. The differences come in where people try not explain them then they fall back upon religious doctrine and culture. The universal nature is a good argument for God.

(3) culturally constructed experi9ence can't transcend culture unless people are experiencing an objective reality.

(5) the content of the experience is about the divine...
              Evidence?

You've stated that people fall back on a divine explanation because they can't explain their experiences, but nowhere have you shown that the experience is "about the divine" rather than merely being attributed to the divine.
              ... therefore, the reality experienced the divine.
              There is a difference between "the divine" and "God". You know this, since you admitted in a previous thread that your argument couldn't provide evidence for the entity most people mean when they use the term "God", only for the version that is considered by most modern theologists. So you are reposting an argument that was criticised elsewhere without modifying it to overcome the criticisms. That's dishonest.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Evidence?

You've stated that people fall back on a divine explanation because they can't explain their experiences, but nowhere have you shown that the experience is "about the divine" rather than merely being attributed to the divine.
                Yes I have. It's within the structure of the expero9ences themselves. The people have them most often identify them as experiences of God. There are two basic types of expero9emnce, the undifferentiated unity, and sense of the numinous. The former is a sense of all is one, that includes understanding of all things. There people to tend to feel at on with God. the latter is an overwhelming sense of God's love.

There is a difference between "the divine" and "God"
                sure there is. It would make no0 sense to talk about disembodied sense of divinity without an object that is divine.

You know this, since you admitted in a previous thread that your argument couldn't provide evidence for the entity most people mean when they use the term "God", only for the version that is considered by most modern theologists. So you are reposting an argument that was criticised elsewhere without modifying it to overcome the criticisms. That's dishonest.

I guess you misundersto0od. I said we can't PROVE God exists. We certainly have evidence of since belief in God is warranted and I have said that. that's my standard line that my arguments aren't meant to prove God exists but to show that belief is rationally warranted.
                Metacrock's Blog

Comment

I guess you misundersto0od. I said we can't PROVE God exists. We certainly have evidence of since belief in God is warranted and I have said that. that's my standard line that my arguments aren't meant to prove God exists but to show that belief is rationally warranted.
                  Indeed you can’t prove that deities exist. And there’s nothing rational in assuming that that an unproven immaterial deity did-it either. That's an Argument from Ignorance.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Indeed you can’t prove that deities exist. And there’s nothing rational in assuming that that an unproven immaterial deity did-it either. That's an Argument from Ignorance.
                    I have put up three arguments so far proving belief is warranted you have not touched one, you don't even have an argument, you are lucky I'm even talking to you because you don't have a concept of fair argument. Belief is warranted there is no basis for disparaging belief or rejecting It.

In fact this thread is such an argument so your statement is beggingg the question
                    Last edited by metacrock; 04-20-2016, 01:45 AM.
                    Metacrock's Blog

Comment

I have put up three arguments so far proving belief is warranted you have not touched one, you don't even have an argument, you are lucky I'm even talking to you because you don't have a concept of fair argument. Belief is warranted there is no basis for disparaging belief or rejecting It.

In fact this thread is such an argument so your statement is beggingg the question
                      You ague, as does Plantinga, that belief in God is in fact justified, rational and warranted. But you ignore, as does Plantinga, that for this view to be rationally warranted, belief in God requires some sort of evidential considerations of his actual existence. There is none.

Comment

You ague, as does Plantinga, that belief in God is in fact justified, rational and warranted. But you ignore, as does Plantinga, that for this view to be rationally warranted, belief in God requires some sort of evidential considerations of his actual existence. There is none.
                        can you say "question begging?" you are doing a fallacy called "begging the question." this is a God argument. the point of it is to justify belief God you answer it by saying we have to produce a reason to believe but I did. that's the thing you are arguing against. you are asserting the position you are defending to prove that position that['s called "circular reasoning:it's wrong''

you lose because your reasoning is bad. you are using the conclusion as the premise. logic should move from premise to conclusion.

my proof works God is true exhypothoai QED
                        Last edited by metacrock; 04-20-2016, 10:16 AM.
                        Metacrock's Blog

Comment

Evidence?

Yes I have. It's within the structure of the expero9ences themselves. The people have them most often identify them as experiences of God.
                          Since that is attribution to the divine, and not "about the divine", you have not.
                          There is a difference between "the divine" and "God"... You know this, since you admitted in a previous thread that your argument couldn't provide evidence for the entity most people mean when they use the term "God", only for the version that is considered by most modern theologists. So you are reposting an argument that was criticised elsewhere without modifying it to overcome the criticisms. That's dishonest.
                          That has no bearing on my objection - which suggests you are the one that has misunderstood.

You are using "God" in an unusual technical sense without indication, are as a result your statements are misleading.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

you lose because your reasoning is bad. you are using the conclusion as the premise. logic should move from premise to conclusion.

my proof works God is true exhypothoai QED
                            Your "logic" is execrable.

Even if every part of your "logic" is correct, the most you can conclude is that God is the most likely explanation for the phenomena observed, and therefore tentative belief in God is warranted. This is not the same as "God is true". That last jump from "best explanation" to "truth" is unsupported.

Comment

(5) the content of the experience is about the divine therefore, the reality experienced the divine.

Here is an essay that explains how the studies work and makes arguments
                              I hope you will not object to this post.

If nothing is real, any statement concerning the universe is merely moot at most. It seems safe to say that our consciousness is real and whatever it is that we are experiencing is to some degree real indeed, though our awareness of whatever it is may be at least once removed (that is, we do not experience reality directly).

There is reality out there and we are real, it seems safe to assert, though we may not understand what Reality is. Also, God is real no matter what atheists say. It seems safe to say that they have to concede that it seems safe to assert that bit about reality, it's but a baby step to the assertion that God is real, whatever it may be. We have being that lasts appreciable amounts of time, so reality is at least benign for the most part. It seems a good idea to call reality God.
                              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment