Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Grampa Jed... for your bees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grampa Jed... for your bees

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Wouldn't other creatures get into the open jars?
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

There was a thread about this before.... I believe BC. You didn't care for this did you Jed?
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Oh I think it is fine. Just not for me. I am more involved because of the bees rather than the honey. If I did not get honey I would still love my honey bees.

And in response to Carrikature, you would not do it out in the open like that or you would be inundated by bees. My mentor and I once did some outdoor extracting and never again.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Hm, perhaps they kept it covered when not filming. Interesting. But I don't see how.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            Hm, perhaps they kept it covered when not filming. Interesting. But I don't see how.
            Yeah, the open jar of honey was just for the film. It works by having a plastic honey comb that is in two pieces. The two sections are separated in a way that does not allow the bees access and the honey drains out ultimately through the pictured tubes. One of the guys in our assoc. (Southcentral Alaska Beekeepers Association in case anyone is interested) bought some combs just to try it out. They cost an arm and a leg so they are really just a gimmick at this point.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Yeah, the open jar of honey was just for the film. It works by having a plastic honey comb that is in two pieces. The two sections are separated in a way that does not allow the bees access and the honey drains out ultimately through the pictured tubes. One of the guys in our assoc. (Southcentral Alaska Beekeepers Association in case anyone is interested) bought some combs just to try it out. They cost an arm and a leg so they are really just a gimmick at this point.
              But bees don't have arms
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

That is why beekeepers have to buy their stuff for them.

Comment

Today I hived one new colony. Has two new beekeepers (mentee) and the grandson of an old friend over to watch. The newbies will be hiving their own bees in the next few days - as soon as the packages* (bees with queen) arrive.

*Bees are shipped in a package like this:
                  Bee package.JPG

The queen is in her own private cage inside the bee package. Her cage is like this:
                  bee queen.jpg

Comment

I don't know how I'd feel about opening a package that looked like that.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      I don't know how I'd feel about opening a package that looked like that.
                      It was a bit intimidating the first time I did it. After 35 years it does not give me much reaction beyond the excitement of a new bee hive.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X