Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Scientific Priesthood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scientific Priesthood

Wow, I'm glad didn't put my faith there:
    http://theweek.com/articles/618141/big-science-broken
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    You just need to have greater faith!

Advocates of the existing scientific research paradigm usually smugly declare that while some published conclusions are surely false, the scientific method has "self-correcting mechanisms" that ensure that, eventually, the truth will prevail. Unfortunately for all of us, Wilson makes a convincing argument that those self-correcting mechanisms are broken.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Medical research is currently a mess. One problem is that there are a bunch of fake, legitimate sounding journals that keep popping up which will print your "research" if you pay them from which you can use that to push for everything from grant money to getting the results picked up and covered by the media.

The TV show "Adam Ruins Everything" covered this in an episode on nutrition where they reported on a journalist who had a fictitious study claiming that eating chocolate helps you lose weight (“Chocolate with high cocoa content as a weight-loss accelerator”) published in the International Archives of Medicine for 600 Euros. It was picked up by multiple news outlets often getting front page coverage.

The entire affair can be read about here: I Fooled Millions Into Thinking Chocolate Helps Weight Loss. Here's How as well as here: How the "chocolate diet" hoax fooled millions.

The host of the aforementioned TV show, Adam Conover, had his own fraudulent study "The Possible Irritating Effects of Nutritional Facts" published in a faux journal called Advances In Nutrition And Food Technology to confirm that this does indeed happen. It was pretty obvious that the publisher never read it for it is a blatant spoof.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Advocates of the existing scientific research paradigm usually smugly declare that while some published conclusions are surely false, the scientific method has "self-correcting mechanisms" that ensure that, eventually, the truth will prevail. Unfortunately for all of us, Wilson makes a convincing argument that those self-correcting mechanisms are broken.
        Popper is still the top of the line in terms of philosophy of science. He's the only philosopher of science who is admired by most scientist. His thing is that science is not about truth but verisimilitude.
        Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Medical research is currently a mess. One problem is that there are a bunch of fake, legitimate sounding journals that keep popping up which will print your "research" if you pay them from which you can use that to push for everything from grant money to getting the results picked up and covered by the media.

The TV show "Adam Ruins Everything" covered this in an episode on nutrition where they reported on a journalist who had a fictitious study claiming that eating chocolate helps you lose weight (“Chocolate with high cocoa content as a weight-loss accelerator”) published in the International Archives of Medicine for 600 Euros. It was picked up by multiple news outlets often getting front page coverage.

The entire affair can be read about here: I Fooled Millions Into Thinking Chocolate Helps Weight Loss. Here's How as well as here: How the "chocolate diet" hoax fooled millions.

The host of the aforementioned TV show, Adam Conover, had his own fraudulent study "The Possible Irritating Effects of Nutritional Facts" published in a faux journal called Advances In Nutrition And Food Technology to confirm that this does indeed happen. It was pretty obvious that the publisher never read it for it is a blatant spoof.
          Back in the early ought's a study came out claiming that only 16% of scientific medical studies were scientific.
          Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            You just need to have greater faith!

Dang that sounds just like Shunya's argument about the text books being wrong.

Comment

Second thread referring to First Things magazine. A conservative Christian magazine with a religious agenda.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Second thread referring to First Things magazine. A conservative Christian magazine with a religious agenda.
                Yep, shoot the messenger - tell us Shuny, what did the piece get factually wrong? And here are links to non-Christian sites making the same case:

In 2009, Science published a paper linking chronic fatigue syndrome with the mouse virus XMRV, prompting a flurry of subsequent studies—none of which could replicate the findings. The paper was retracted last year. The following year, Science published a paper describing a strain of bacteria that incorporated arsenic instead of phosphorus into its DNA backbone, only to publish two studies refuting the findings this July. In this case, the journal has not asked the authors for a correction or retraction, citing the self-correcting nature of the scientific process.

And these high profile examples are by no means isolated incidents. In 2011, scientists at Bayer Healthcare in Germany recounted their dismal experience in trying to validate published research on new drug targets: in more than 75 percent of the 67 studies they attempted, Bayer’s labs could not replicate the published findings. This past March, researchers at Amgen reported a similar problem, successfully reproducing the results of just six of the 53 hematology and oncology studies they attempted.

Indeed, published studies whose findings cannot be reproduced appear to be on rise, and while some such studies are later retracted, many stand, collecting citations, either because no one has tried to replicate the data, or those who have, successfully or not, cannot get their studies published. http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...Do-That-Again/

Or here: http://protomag.com/articles/replica...search-problem
                Last edited by seer; 04-18-2016, 12:28 PM.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Yep, shoot the messenger - tell us Shuny, what did the piece get factually wrong? And here are links to non-Christian sites making the same case:
                  It only cited negative examples and did not address the over all situation of modern history of science.

Yes, I would shoot incompetent messengers with a religious agenda.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    It only cited negative examples and did not address the over all situation of modern history of science.

Yes, I would shoot incompetent messengers with a religious agenda.
                    Really Shuny, they are speaking of the same studies, like the Bayer study that First Things referenced.

Many factors contribute to the low odds of reproducibility. The original experiments may have been poorly designed, or there could be problems with how results were analyzed. The trend may also be a symptom of a scientific community in which the job market and funding are tighter than ever, and researchers must publish or perish, leading to a lack of rigor in their research. “It is a dysfunctional scientific climate,” says Ferric Fang, a professor at the University of Washington School of Medicine and editor-in-chief of the journal Infection and Immunity. And because journals favor original research, scientists have little incentive to pursue replicative work. http://protomag.com/articles/replica...search-problem
                    There is a built in bias not to do replicative work.

Comment

I didn't expect the edifice of 'science' to show cracks quite this soon.
                      I thought worshipping the gods of knowledge in their pure white coats would last at least another 100 years.
                      So much for 'rational systemic thought' leading to enlightenment.

This spawns two additional thoughts:
                      1: You can criticize the Roman Catholic Church for it's corruption all you want, however, the organization was around 1500 years before the scientific method and by all appearances it will be around 1500 years after the golden calf of rationalism has been melted and fashioned into thuribles. You earn +10 points if you know what a thurible is without looking it up.

2: Anytime a house falls this quickly you can be sure it was built upon a foundation of sand, and oh, how this gerbil loves digging in the sand.
                      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I didn't expect the edifice of 'science' to show cracks quite this soon.
                        I thought worshipping the gods of knowledge in their pure white coats would last at least another 100 years.
                        So much for 'rational systemic thought' leading to enlightenment.

This spawns two additional thoughts:
                        1: You can criticize the Roman Catholic Church for it's corruption all you want, however, the organization was around 1500 years before the scientific method and by all appearances it will be around 1500 years after the golden calf of rationalism has been melted and fashioned into thuribles. You earn +10 points if you know what a thurible is without looking it up.

2: Anytime a house falls this quickly you can be sure it was built upon a foundation of sand, and oh, how this gerbil loves digging in the sand.
                        Stop you are going to give Shuny a stroke!

Comment

Where can I cash in my 10 points?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Where can I cash in my 10 points?
                            As soon as the Trout/Gerbil forum is set up we'll begin work on the store.
                            Trout and I have really big plans for TWEB, unless of course, short sighted management blocks it.

Comment

As soon as the Trout/Gerbil forum is set up we'll begin work on the store.
                              Trout and I have really big plans for TWEB, unless of course, short sighted management blocks it.
                              When Sparko and I become president of the U.S. one of our first executive actions will be to establish a forum for you guys.

Comment