Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Candida: causes ~90% cancer cases???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candida: causes ~90% cancer cases???

Are ~90% cancer cases caused by a kind of yeast? Namely, Candida. It infects ~70% of Americans in their intestinal tracts. Journal of Infection=OK? Critical Reviews in microbiology=OK? British Medical Bulletin=OK?

The paragraph above contains notes made while viewing an e-promo for a "natural and safe" medicine to cure candida overgrowth. My hope is that someone will post good advice here. Also, a warning you should check for candida infections.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

You should probably limit your trust in someone who's trying to sell you something.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I think the border patrol folks on the US/Candida border should be especially vigilant, and we should quarantine anybody who visits there and comes back home.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        Are ~90% cancer cases caused by a kind of yeast? Namely, Candida. It infects ~70% of Americans in their intestinal tracts. Journal of Infection=OK? Critical Reviews in microbiology=OK? British Medical Bulletin=OK?

The paragraph above contains notes made while viewing an e-promo for a "natural and safe" medicine to cure candida overgrowth. My hope is that someone will post good advice here. Also, a warning you should check for candida infections.
        Yeah I would seriously doubt that figure unless they're claiming that smoking only causes 10% of cancers.
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          You should probably limit your trust in someone who's trying to sell you something.
          OK, good advice, but I will wait for more posts.

Didn't Bill Gates and Steve Jobs try to sell us . . . ? How do you regard them?
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

OK, good advice, but I will wait for more posts.

Didn't Bill Gates and Steve Jobs try to sell us . . . ? How do you regard them?
            As not trying to scare us into buying their products so we would be healthier?
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I think the border patrol folks on the US/Candida border should be especially vigilant, and we should quarantine anybody who visits there and comes back home.
              I tried to think of some joke based on Canada - candida to earn a swing of the Mossy pin. But you beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                Yeah I would seriously doubt that figure unless they're claiming that smoking only causes 10% of cancers.
                I think you wrote that for the 90% statistic, not the later one.

Comment

I think you wrote that for the 90% statistic, not the later one.
                  Yup. If as they claimed that Candida causes 90% of cancer cases, that means that at most smoking can cause the remaining 10%. Over here it would be battling it out with skin cancer for that 10%. And in 2013 Melanoma in NZ alone made up 10% of all new cancer cases, as did lung cancer.

http://www.health.govt.nz/publicatio...strations-2013

So their figures are very dodgy, which would lead me to doubt the rest of their claims.

And besides studies show that the links are inconclusive: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3084579/
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    Yup. If as they claimed that Candida causes 90% of cancer cases, that means that at most smoking can cause the remaining 10%. Over here it would be battling it out with skin cancer for that 10%. And in 2013 Melanoma in NZ alone made up 10% of all new cancer cases, as did lung cancer.

http://www.health.govt.nz/publicatio...strations-2013

So their figures are very dodgy, which would lead me to doubt the rest of their claims.

And besides studies show that the links are inconclusive: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3084579/
                    "Inconclusive" -- duh, evidence can never be truly conclusive. "Low probability" is perhaps what you meant.

I suspect the e-promo went in for a bit of exaggeration. "Caused" like candida was the sole and sufficient factor--nah. Maybe candida was a cofactor. Though maybe in most of the cancer cases in which candida is involved, curing the yeast infection will lead to improvement if not cure of the cancer.

I am still keeping my mind open.

Comment

it could also be that an immune system weakened by cancer and chemo is more susceptible to fungus infections like candida. in other words, candida overgrowth could be caused by cancer instead of vice versa

Comment

This Candida stuff is not new. Twenty years ago it was causing all sorts of other terrible diseases. They had to come up with cancer because of the escalation I expect.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...ake-illnesses/

Candida

One popular fake illness is chronic candidiasis. Candida albicans is a fungus that colonizes about 90% of the population (meaning it is present in the body but not causing an infection or any problems). It can, however, become an infection, usually at times of stress or immunocompromise. The most common manifestations are thrush (a superficial Candida infection in the mouth) and vaginitis, also commonly referred to as a yeast infection.

Candida can also rarely cause serious systemic infection, but this is mostly restricted to those with compromised immune systems, such as patients undergoing chemotherapy or with advanced AIDS.

Candida became the focus of a fake illness beginning in 1986 with the publication of The Yeast Connection by Dr. William Crook. In this book Crook proposed the idea that systemic candidiasis, or Candida hypersensitivity, was responsible for a host of common conditions and non-specific symptoms, such as fatigue, sexual dysfunction, asthma, and psoriasis.

Over 25 years later Candida hypersensitivity remains an unproven claim, but popular among “alternative” practitioners. The claims have also spread, unhindered by logic and evidence. For example, in a 2009 article in The Huffington Post, Kim Evans claims:

First, an estimated 90 percent of the population has a problem with candida overgrowth, although most don’t know it. And second, candida overgrowth can be the root cause of literally hundreds of different problems in the body.

and

It’s also fascinating that an oncologist in Rome, Dr. Tullio Simoncini, says that cancer is a fungus and actually an advanced form of candida overgrowth.

There is absolutely no science behind the claim that 90 percent of the population “have a problem with candida” or that Candida causes cancer, or that cancer is actually a fungal infection.

Of course, fake illnesses require fake treatments, and they are numerous for Candida. One such example, ZapCandida, claims:

Fungus is the silent killer that robs you of your life-force, controls how you feel, and even how you think, this website will not only help you understand what fungus, Candida Albicans among others, and its relation to severe skin-issues, it will introduce you to a little known method to heal yourself by reclaiming your Immune system.

They don’t say what their treatment actually is – it sounds like some type of supplement with lifestyle advice to avoid Candida.

While there is precious little in the published literature about Candida hypersensitivity, the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology did review the claims and evidence and concluded:

The concept is speculative and unproven.
                          Elements of the proposed treatment program are potentially dangerous.

I could only find a single double-blind placebo controlled trial of treatment for Candida hypersensitivity, which found:

In women with presumed candidiasis hypersensitivity syndrome, nystatin does not reduce systemic or psychological symptoms significantly more than placebo. Consequently, the empirical recommendation of long-term nystatin therapy for such women appears to be unwarranted.

Dr. Crook himself conducted no research to demonstrate the claims he made in his popular book. He essentially bypassed research, peer review, and scientific consensus and went straight to public promotion.
                          Conclusion

Candida hypersensitivity is an implausible syndrome, simply another “one cause of all disease” alternative claim. Such claims are useful only for generating demand for fanciful and worthless treatments.

Comment

But it can be a cash cow if abused correctly.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              it could also be that an immune system weakened by cancer and chemo is more susceptible to fungus infections like candida. in other words, candida overgrowth could be caused by cancer instead of vice versa
                              Maybe. The real relationship could be like the chicken-egg dilemma. More candida tends to more cancer; in turn more cancer tends to more candida. Vicious circle. Incidentally, maybe the 90% statistic needs to be revaluated to take into account that vicious circle?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X