Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Dick and Jane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick and Jane

For some reason, my 34 month old niece actually likes those stories! Even though the were written before her grandparents were born. Did anyone here actually learn how to read from these? I don't remember how I was taught how to read, but it certainly wasn't with Dick and Jane. The simplistic stories could only appeal to a two-year old. Apparently this is how kids from 1930-1970 were taught how to read. Maybe that's why many baby boomers I know don't like to read as much as me. Or they just don't have the time.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I learned from them in the late 1950s. I have a couple of them in my library.

It portrayed a fantasy world where everybody belonged in a white upper-middle-class family with both parents. Nobody was divorced and nobody did drugs or alcohol. Fathers smoked pipes, however.
      When I Survey....

Comment

Yes? Did you have to read those? The stories don't look like they would appeal to school age children.

Comment

spot was my favorite. he was silly. see spot? see spot run? run, spot, run!

Comment

My sister loved spot books....
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
              I learned from them in the late 1950s. I have a couple of them in my library.

It portrayed a fantasy world where everybody belonged in a white upper-middle-class family with both parents. Nobody was divorced and nobody did drugs or alcohol. Fathers smoked pipes, however.
              IOW, pretty much like most TV shows from the 50s to late 60s. And society is so much better now that we don't have people on TV who can act as a positive role model for others to look up to and aspire to be like.

Today they would likely have Dick incessantly telling everyone how he's an atheist and vegan then putting on a dress and following a group of girls into the bathroom while Jane would be a militant lesbian who gets pregnant through artificial insemination just so she can exercise her 'right' to have an abortion.

Sorry. Rough morning.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't remember exactly how I learned to read. A lot was from laying on the floor in front of the radio on Sunday reading the "funny paper" along with Puck the Comic Weekly man. I also pestered my folks to tell me what every billboard* said. When I entered school they put me in the lowest reading group with Dick and Jane. One day the teacher (in our one room first through sixth grades) caught me reading a sixth grade book.

My daughter learned to read the same way I did, more or less. She would read the newspaper and ask, "What does ####### spell." Soon she stopped asking as she had learned them all.

* We had lots of billboards around in those days. If you don't know what billboards are try google.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Melmak taught himself to read, I guess. We read to him a lot, and thought he had just memorized books we had read over and over.

Until a doctor gave him a book one day that Melmak had never read before, and the doctor informed us he could read.

He was 4.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    spot was my favorite. he was silly. see spot? see spot run? run, spot, run!
                    See, that's the beauty of Dick and Jane... the story line builds nicely. Run, run, run!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      See, that's the beauty of Dick and Jane... the story line builds nicely. Run, run, run!
                      No one talks like the kids in the books do. And why is Sally called a baby when she can walk and talk?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        No one talks like the kids in the books do. And why is Sally called a baby when she can walk and talk?
                        My BABY sister is 47 years old!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          My BABY sister is 47 years old!
                          I know she is the baby of the family.

Comment

Yep we learned to read from a mixture of these and a few others. We also used to have a 15 minute slot at the end of the day where the teacher would read us stories and over the primary school years we worked our way through a lot of Enid Blyton who is now practically banished. Fairy Tales, Faraway Tree, Magic Wishing Chair, Famous Five, Secret Seven , Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                              Yep we learned to read from a mixture of these and a few others. We also used to have a 15 minute slot at the end of the day where the teacher would read us stories and over the primary school years we worked our way through a lot of Enid Blyton who is now practically banished. Fairy Tales, Faraway Tree, Magic Wishing Chair, Famous Five, Secret Seven , Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys
                              We started our day with a pledge to the flat, then prayer time, including prayer requests from students, then the teacher would read from a story. I most clearly remember Brighty of the Grand Canyon - Mrs Ludlow read with such flair!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X