Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Mixin' It Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixin' It Up

Anyone here use or ever use a combination of Windows and Apple machines? Problems with files used in for example Word? Other issues? I'm considering getting a Macbook (?). There's a program I use that has a version for Apple, but it's so specific I'll use their discussion board for that program. But I wonder about Word compatibility etc.
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 04-25-2016, 12:36 PM. Reason: Word PRO? Really?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Absolutely no problem with document portability between Apple and PC, in my experience. My wife is primarily Mac, and I'm primarily PC. (Yeah, opposites attract, I guess )
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Anyone here use or ever use a combination of Windows and Apple machines? Problems with files used in for example Word? Other issues? I'm considering getting a Macbook (?). There's a program I use that has a version for Apple, but it's so specific I'll use their discussion board for that program. But I wonder about Word compatibility etc.
      You can always install Windows onto the Mac using bootcamp. That should run anything you need to have running.

(though apart from having installed Windows into Bootcamp for a mate, I have had nothing to do with Macbooks, I personally don't like Apple products....but that's just a preference thing)
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I hadn't thought of having both OS on one system. Hm.

Comment

as long as you have the same program on both machines (like Office) it should read the documents on either. One problem might be if the mac doesn't put a valid file extension on the file name, like *.docx for word documents. If it doesn't then you might need to rename the file to put .docx at the end. but it probably does. Also when you save the files on the mac or windows, check to see if there is an option to save for the other OS. Also for word processing docs there is a common format called .rtf (rich text format) that any word processor should be able to read and save to.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I did not realize there might be an option to save a file in the other OS version.

it appears there will be enough similarity between the PC and Mac version of the program I use a lot that it might be worth it. It's called Scrivener and it's a real excellent tool for writers.

if I think of any other questions I'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              Thanks everyone. I did not realize there might be an option to save a file in the other OS version.
              I'd say 99% of the time, that's not even necessary. Microsoft Office, and the free version "Open Office", go to great lengths to make their suites accessible across platforms.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment