PDA

View Full Version : Ashkelon and Gezer

Ged
02-28-2014, 07:16 AM
The famous Merneptah stele reads, among other things, "Ashkelon is conquered, Gezer seized." These were cities on the south Canaan coast during the Pharaohs, Ramses II and Merneptah.

Ive got 2 questions for any Egyptology people out there. :help:

Did they remain under Egyptian jurisdiction or did they just get destroyed and left?
Do these place names come up again in Egyptian records?

Outis
02-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Did they remain under Egyptian jurisdiction or did they just get destroyed and left?
Do these place names come up again in Egyptian records?

Ashkelon is a Canaanite city that was under the jurisdiction of the Egyptians during the Amarna period: there are half-a-dozen or so letters from the king of Ashkelon to Akhenaten. I think we even have the name of the king at that time, but I don't remember what the name was right off. I don't remember anything about Gezer in other records.

The Merneptah conquests were not destruction--more like subdual. However, it was only about 50 years later when the Philistines came in: they conquered both cities, but I seem to remember that Gezer became a "mixed population" city, with both Canaanite and Philistine pottery being found. I don't remember reading about a destruction layer, so theis may have been a fairly peaceful "conquest"--the city surrendered, or the Philistines simply became part of the population. Not too sure about the details, as it's been a while since I read anything on this, and I haven't had coffee yet, so my memory isn't working 100%.

shunyadragon
02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Ashkelon is a Canaanite city that was under the jurisdiction of the Egyptians during the Amarna period: there are half-a-dozen or so letters from the king of Ashkelon to Akhenaten. I think we even have the name of the king at that time, but I don't remember what the name was right off. I don't remember anything about Gezer in other records.

The Merneptah conquests were not destruction--more like subdual. However, it was only about 50 years later when the Philistines came in: they conquered both cities, but I seem to remember that Gezer became a "mixed population" city, with both Canaanite and Philistine pottery being found. I don't remember reading about a destruction layer, so theis may have been a fairly peaceful "conquest"--the city surrendered, or the Philistines simply became part of the population. Not too sure about the details, as it's been a while since I read anything on this, and I haven't had coffee yet, so my memory isn't working 100%.

Roughly correct, and leveled and burned by Nebuchadnezzar 604 BC, and conquered by Alexander the Great in the 4th century, and became a Hellenist Seaport until the Jews took it in ~167 BC , and then the Romans showed up and shut down the revolt.

In its whole history it was an important seaport.