Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Hudsucker Proxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hudsucker Proxy

We watched this movie the other day, and I loved it. It has just that perfect level of goofiness, and everyone overacts their parts. It's great. Plus, it taught me what has now become one of my favorite words: dingus--a word used to describe an object whose name the speaker doesn't know or has forgotten.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Here I thought dingus was an insult.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      We watched this movie the other day, and I loved it. It has just that perfect level of goofiness, and everyone overacts their parts. It's great. Plus, it taught me what has now become one of my favorite words: dingus--a word used to describe an object whose name the speaker doesn't know or has forgotten.
      IIRC it also means an intelligent person who often does comically stupid things.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Have you guys seen the movie?

Comment

Nope. I'll see if I can find it.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            Nope. I'll see if I can find it.
            It's streaming on Amazon Prime, but I don't know of any other places. Don't think it's on Netflix.

Comment

I haven't seen it since shortly after it came out, so I only remember the basic outlines, but I do remember loving it at the time. I really need to rewatch it. Between that film, The Player, Jacob's Ladder, and Shawshank Redemption, Tim Robbins was one of my favorite actors of the 90s (up there with Jeff Goldbloom). Sadly he hasn't really flexed his acting chops or been top billing in any good films for a long time.

I remember the film not doing well in the box office, and I never understood why. I think maybe it took audiences time to catch up with the Coen Brother's brand of dark comedy/drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I haven't seen it since shortly after it came out, so I only remember the basic outlines, but I do remember loving it at the time. I really need to rewatch it. Between that film, The Player, Jacob's Ladder, and Shawshank Redemption, Tim Robbins was one of my favorite actors of the 90s (up there with Jeff Goldbloom). Sadly he hasn't really flexed his acting chops or been top billing in any good films for a long time.

I remember the film not doing well in the box office, and I never understood why. I think maybe it took audiences time to catch up with the Coen Brother's brand of dark comedy/drama.
                It's a weird sort of comedy. I haven't seen much of the Coen brothers, but I didn't think The Big Lebowski was that great and Raising Arizona bored me. But The Hudsucker Proxy...oh man. I think I laughed out loud for like ten minutes straight at "extruded plastic dingus."

Comment

It's a weird sort of comedy. I haven't seen much of the Coen brothers, but I didn't think The Big Lebowski was that great and Raising Arizona bored me. But The Hudsucker Proxy...oh man. I think I laughed out loud for like ten minutes straight at "extruded plastic dingus."
                  I had to see The Big Lebowski twice to let it sink home for me. The first time I watched it, I thought it was kinda goofy, but unmemorable. Then I think I watched it again somewhere, and it all just sort of clicked. Then I watched it with my dad, who really related to Jeff Bridges' wry sort of stoner-hippy thing, and watching him have a blast to a type of film that I totally didn't think would be on his level was hilarious. So I went from thinking it was kinda meh, to really appreciating it. I think a number of their films are like that. It takes a couple times for it to click. Personally, I'm not a fan of Burn After Reading. Too dark. But I imagine I just need to watch it with the right people. And I think Ladykillers was terrible, but I think I need to give it another chance. But I love Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou?, and No Country For Old Men. Blood Simple and True Grit I'm kinda ambivalent about.

Comment

I had to see The Big Lebowski twice to let it sink home for me. The first time I watched it, I thought it was kinda goofy, but unmemorable. Then I think I watched it again somewhere, and it all just sort of clicked. Then I watched it with my dad, who really related to Jeff Bridges' wry sort of stoner-hippy thing, and watching him have a blast to a type of film that I totally didn't think would be on his level was hilarious. So I went from thinking it was kinda meh, to really appreciating it. I think a number of their films are like that. It takes a couple times for it to click. Personally, I'm not a fan of Burn After Reading. Too dark. But I imagine I just need to watch it with the right people. And I think Ladykillers was terrible, but I think I need to give it another chance. But I love Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou?, and No Country For Old Men. Blood Simple and True Grit I'm kinda ambivalent about.
                    I intend to rewatch Big Lebowski for that reason. I watched the Ladykillers remake not too long ago and thought it was hilarious. Fargo is great, and I think of No Country for Old Men as the best, most narratively dissatisfying movie I've ever seen, but I haven't seen the others.

Comment

I intend to rewatch Big Lebowski for that reason. I watched the Ladykillers remake not too long ago and thought it was hilarious. Fargo is great, and I think of No Country for Old Men as the best, most narratively dissatisfying movie I've ever seen, but I haven't seen the others.
                      I envy you not having seen O Brother, Where Art Thou?. You're in for a treat. Such a fun film. It's essentially a comic take on Homer's Odyssey taking place during the Depression. I recently heard someone on a film forum I'm on call it the perfect film, and while I'm not sure I'd go that far, it's definitely one of my all time favorites. The soundtrack alone was worth the price of admission.

Comment

I envy you not having seen O Brother, Where Art Thou?. You're in for a treat. Such a fun film. It's essentially a comic take on Homer's Odyssey taking place during the Depression. I recently heard someone on a film forum I'm on call it the perfect film, and while I'm not sure I'd go that far, it's definitely one of my all time favorites. The soundtrack alone was worth the price of admission.
                        In that case, I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

It might be a hair off perfect. I love that movie.

I've recently read a couple of books by Cormac McCarthy. He's the author of No Country for Old Men. Narratively dissatisfying is a good description, but his characters are so real.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                            It might be a hair off perfect. I love that movie.

I've recently read a couple of books by Cormac McCarthy. He's the author of No Country for Old Men. Narratively dissatisfying is a good description, but his characters are so real.
                            Just use some Dapper Dan then.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Just use some Dapper Dan then.

I don't want Fop. I'm a Dapper Dan man.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X