Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Best apologetics sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best apologetics sites

I was wondering what apologetics websites TWebbers here are familiar with. Reasonablefaith.org and tektonics are pretty obvious ones. BioLogos is pretty decent as well.

Also, what criteria do you use to determine what a good tektonics website is?

I don't personal see a lot of merit in sites that spend most of their time attacking other Christian camps, such as Theistic Evolution, instead of actually presenting a case for God/Christianity.

While we're at it, any top book recommendations? I lean towards more technical work in philosophy and New Testament studies, but general apologetics books can be helpful.

Christian ThinkTank.

http://christianthinktank.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MattMurdock View Post
      I was wondering what apologetics websites TWebbers here are familiar with. Reasonablefaith.org and tektonics are pretty obvious ones. BioLogos is pretty decent as well.

Also, what criteria do you use to determine what a good tektonics website is?

I don't personal see a lot of merit in sites that spend most of their time attacking other Christian camps, such as Theistic Evolution, instead of actually presenting a case for God/Christianity.

While we're at it, any top book recommendations? I lean towards more technical work in philosophy and New Testament studies, but general apologetics books can be helpful.
      Welcome Matt, I like Alvin Plantinga, you can find much of his stuff here: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/philo...inga_alvin.htm

You might like these books by him

http://www.amazon.com/Faith-Rational...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Warranted-Chri...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Conflict...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

As already mentioned Christian Think Tank and Bill Craig's Site.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Welcome Matt, I like Alvin Plantinga, you can find much of his stuff here: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/philo...inga_alvin.htm

You might like these books by him

http://www.amazon.com/Faith-Rational...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Warranted-Chri...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Conflict...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

As already mentioned Christian Think Tank and Bill Craig's Site.
        Oh, I'm very familiar with Plantinga. The 2nd and third books you listed I already own. Christian Think Tank is phenomenal as well. I will have to check out his virtual library though.

These are all great resources, but I had a thought. Of all of the apologists and apologetics efforts out there, I have yet to find a site that encompasses everything, linking to the best materials from other sites. Something absolutely huge. I don't know, maybe my standards are a little high.

Comment

www.str.org -- General Christian training with the theme of being ambassadors for Christ.
          www.equip.org -- Equipping Christians to think and live Christianly.
          www.carm.org -- Christian apologetics.
          Last edited by 37818; 05-14-2016, 10:57 AM.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by MattMurdock View Post
            Oh, I'm very familiar with Plantinga. The 2nd and third books you listed I already own. Christian Think Tank is phenomenal as well. I will have to check out his virtual library though.

These are all great resources, but I had a thought. Of all of the apologists and apologetics efforts out there, I have yet to find a site that encompasses everything, linking to the best materials from other sites. Something absolutely huge. I don't know, maybe my standards are a little high.

I don't know Bill Craig's site has so much stuff on it, on all kinds of subjects. You must read a lot faster than me.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              www.str.org -- General Christian training with the theme of being ambassadors for Christ.
              www.equip.org -- Equipping Christians to think and live Christianly.
              www.carm.org -- Christian apologetics.
              STR is excellent!

Comment

Dr. Craig's site was my first resource when I became a Christian in high school. Reasonable Faith was the first book I purchased. I just mean a site that covers philosophy, exegesis, all of the arguments out there, all while directing you to all the other amazing work out there on other sites. Something that is practically a library in itself.

Also, why aren't more Christians aware of these resources? How can we change that?

Comment

I've used Bible.org a lot as a source, mainly because of Dan Wallace's work. I personally like the scholars that deal with the history of Judeo-Christianity.

I don't think Christians are aware of these sites because Christians don't face the many issues and problems raised by modern skeptics, or some just don't care (they're more into the spiritual and emotional antics).

I was a TBN Christian schlub before I read the book Holy Blood, Holy Grail. That book shook my faith but opened a door to a whole new realm of knowledge for me because it made it pursue the world of apologetics and NT scholarship.

Sadly, many Christians just fall away when they're faced with questions they can't answer. Weird how that works. It either drives you further away from the faith or drives you to a more solid foundation of the faith.

Comment

I have tried to compile a list. Here is what I have so far:

reasonablefaith.org
                    tektonics.org
                    johnlennox.org
                    christianthinktank.com
                    biologos.org
                    apologetics.com
                    apologetics.net
                    winterknight.com
                    bethinking.org
                    risenjesus.com
                    jpmoreland.com
                    afterall.net
                    crossexamined.org
                    impact360institute.org
                    ntwrightpage.com
                    alistermcgrath.weebly.com
                    calvin.edu/academic/philosophy/virtual_library/plantinga_alvin.htm
                    redeemer.com/learn/skeptics_welcome
                    home.messiah.edu/~rcollins/
                    alexanderpruss.blogspot.com
                    robkoons.net
                    alexanderpruss.com/papers/
                    garyhabermas.com
                    peterkreeft.com
                    paulcopan.com
                    premierchristianradio.com
                    beliefmap.org
                    danielbwallace.com
                    dangerousidea.blogspot.com
                    apologeticsinthechurch.com

Youtube channels:

drcraigvideos
                    ReasonableFaithOrg
                    The Veritas Forum
                    Ravi Zacharias International Ministries
                    oneminuteapologist
                    Frank Turek
                    Impact 360 Institute
                    Theology, Philosophy and Science
                    InspiringPhilosophy
                    tektontv
                    firstcauseargument
                    PremierUnbelievable

Curriculums for group study:

TrueU (3 part series)
                    The Defense Never Rests: A Workbook for Budding Apologists (William Lane Craig)
                    Ask: RZIM's Interactive Youth Apologetics (Ravi Zacharias)
                    Big Questions - Teen Bible Study Leader Kit & Student and Leader Guide (by Andy McLean)
                    I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be An Atheist - Curriculum Complete Set (Frank Turek)

Comment

Add Messianic Drew to the Youtube list. He has a blog, too. Particularly interesting as far as countering anti-missionary apologetics.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Personally I have a hard time getting past the fact that Glenn Miller endorses the Grace Evangelical Society on his website. I like Biologos a lot. James Hannam's website has some good stuff on historical issues as well. http://www.jameshannam.com
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Personally I have a hard time getting past the fact that Glenn Miller endorses the Grace Evangelical Society on his website. I like Biologos a lot. James Hannam's website has some good stuff on historical issues as well. http://www.jameshannam.com
                          What specifically is the error of GES? That needs to be addressed.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            I've used Bible.org a lot as a source, mainly because of Dan Wallace's work. I personally like the scholars that deal with the history of Judeo-Christianity.

I don't think Christians are aware of these sites because Christians don't face the many issues and problems raised by modern skeptics, or some just don't care (they're more into the spiritual and emotional antics).

I was a TBN Christian schlub before I read the book Holy Blood, Holy Grail. That book shook my faith but opened a door to a whole new realm of knowledge for me because it made it pursue the world of apologetics and NT scholarship.

Sadly, many Christians just fall away when they're faced with questions they can't answer. Weird how that works. It either drives you further away from the faith or drives you to a more solid foundation of the faith.
                            I second bible.org

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              What specifically is the error of GES? That needs to be addressed.
                              They teach that a mental assent to the truth of the gospel is all that is needed for salvation... but as we know, even the demons believe.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment