Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Excel and Pay Periods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel and Pay Periods

I need to be able to calculate the number of pay periods between two dates - and the pay periods are variable because it's for various people who don't have the same employer. I can get it to calculate the number of days but how do I get it to convert that into weeks so it can differentiate the different pay periods? Or is there a better way?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I need to be able to calculate the number of pay periods between two dates - and the pay periods are variable because it's for various people who don't have the same employer. I can get it to calculate the number of days but how do I get it to convert that into weeks so it can differentiate the different pay periods? Or is there a better way?

It's coming together in my head, along with part of the formula which will ask how many pay periods in the year, to know how many weeks/days......
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

will you, perhaps, have a column for start date, end date, and number of pay periods per year?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Start, end, type of pay period, number of pay periods, gross pay per pay period and the total pay for the interval.

Yes.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

so, pay periods could be....

1st and 15th
          every other Friday
          once a month

15th and last....

do you have a finite number of "types" of pay periods?

Comment

and would the start date and end date necessarily be paydays? Or... what else might the start and end dates be?

Comment

Bi-monthly, bi-weekly, weekly, monthly and annual (that one's easy, at least). I was going to include 'daily' but that seems silly.

The start/end dates are employment so they may or may not conform to the pay period. We need an estimate of income for short duration jobs.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Bi-monthly, bi-weekly, weekly, monthly and annual (that one's easy, at least). I was going to include 'daily' but that seems silly.
                OK, I think the first thing to do is convert the pay period (whatever it is) to the equivalent of an annual salary divided by the number of work days to get a daily rate.

Then use the NETWORKDAYS function to count the number of work days between the start and end dates, times the daily rate.

The start/end dates are employment so they may or may not conform to the pay period. We need an estimate of income for short duration jobs.
                Can we assume they are working "work days", and not weekends and holidays?

Comment

I like that - but no, we can't.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I like that - but no, we can't.
                    Hmmmm

Comment

OK, so we really don't need to know the number of paydays, right?
                      If we know the number of work days between start date and end date, and we know the rate of pay per day, that makes it pretty easy, yes?

(yeah, some of this is rehash)

So, the NETWORKDAYS function uses the start and end dates to calculate how many actual work days there are.

Once we determine what the "daily rate" for a particular pay type is, we have an estimate (plus overtime/holidays, etc.)

Comment

there are lots of paycheck calculators on the web if that helps.

here is a site that might help too:

http://chandoo.org/wp/2008/09/17/pay...xcel-formulas/

Comment

You can't just divide by number of days? 15 for bi-monthly, 14 for bi-weekly, 7 for weekly, 30 for monthly? Move to next largest number for incomplete periods.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

one other consideration Teal...

Start date doesn't always determine the first pay date. Many places will want to sync the employee up with their standard pay day, so if you start the week of a payday, you would have to wait three weeks to get paid and from that point you would get paid every two weeks on the same day everyone else does.

Comment

Give me some sample data and what you want it to look like. I can put something together using VBA in Excel if someone doesn't beat me to it.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment