Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Inner or outer strength?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner or outer strength?

Christians talk about God being present with them and describe their inner strength as coming from God. Of course, Christians are not alone in their ability to tap into something powerful at times of distress and stories about harnessing and sustaining great courage are universal across cultures and at different times in history. Such courage is not always attributed to a God. There are atheists in foxholes. Ordinary courage is commonplace and often silent.

So, I am curious to know what this experience of inner or outer strength is and to ask whether it is the same thing that is being described differently by theists and atheists.

This is just a get started question. I am not concerned how this thread develops from this point.

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

So, I am curious to know what this experience of inner or outer strength is and to ask whether it is the same thing that is being described differently by theists and atheists.
    For me inner strength is grounded in hope, hope of everlasting life in the presence of my God. That there is something tangible and perfect beyond this vale of tears. That we are not mere accidents of nature but that we have a purpose and meaning that transcends the mundane. That love and justice are universal and immutable concepts, not simply the result of a biological fluke. That I may in fact meet and make amends to many loved ones and friends that have passed on. Hope FF, hope...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I started to respond, but don't really have the time right now it deserves....
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I started to respond, but don't really have the time right now it deserves....
        You have actually given the subject all the time it does deserve.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          For me inner strength is grounded in hope, hope of everlasting life in the presence of my God. That there is something tangible and perfect beyond this vale of tears. That we are not mere accidents of nature but that we have a purpose and meaning that transcends the mundane. That love and justice are universal and immutable concepts, not simply the result of a biological fluke. That I may in fact meet and make amends to many loved ones and friends that have passed on. Hope FF, hope...

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Perhaps!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Perhaps!

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Comment

I should think your question would be difficult to assess.
                    Consider the following example:

A man loses his wife of 50 years to cancer.
                    The man bids her a teary-eyed good-bye but otherwise seems strong and unaffected.

1: Was this man a Christian sustained by a great hope?
                    2: Was this man a Christian who disliked his wife and was glad she was gone?
                    3: Was this man an atheist who loved his wife but bravely accepts the inevitable?
                    4: Was this man an atheist who cannot wait to offer her remains to his demon god?

It is difficult to tell if the person is strong or merely unattached, if the person is exceptionally wise or foolish, if the person is the type to show a great deal of emotion or the type to bury it deep down inside.
                    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post

The man bids her a teary-eyed good-bye but otherwise seems strong and unaffected.

3: Was this man an atheist who loved his wife but bravely accepts the inevitable?
                      4: Was this man an atheist who cannot wait to offer her remains to his demon god?

It is difficult to tell if the person is strong or merely unattached, if the person is exceptionally wise or foolish, if the person is the type to show a great deal of emotion or the type to bury it deep down inside.
                      I vote for number four!
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Comment

The Bible defines God's presence for us in Galatians.
                          It is described as the Fruit of the Spirit.

I think it is something that a person learns about over time.
                          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

The Bible defines God's presence for us in Galatians.
                            It is described as the Fruit of the Spirit.

I think it is something that a person learns about over time.
                            Yes, but learns what? I would say he learns a Pavlovian association between the strong emotions generated in a church or churchlike setting with the idea of the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              Yes, but learns what? I would say he learns a Pavlovian association between the strong emotions generated in a church or churchlike setting with the idea of the presence of the Holy Spirit.
                              I think that is most often the case.
                              It would account for much of the nonsense we see with shrines/robes/ceremony.
                              It is brain washing, pure and simple brain washing.

BTW, you can get the same rush at a Nazi rally and you get free haircuts and free tattoos.

That all written, I wasn't talking about what is learned in a pep rally but rather what is learned in solitude.
                              I have no more faith in pep rally froth than you do.

Comment