PDA

View Full Version : Do statins really postpone death?

Truthseeker
05-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Finally, what I was asking for, data for and analysis of death postponement. Not for vaccines, alas, but statins are still not to be ignored. Those are heavily promoted and doctors still write a big number of statin prescriptions. There are serious side effects, the "benefits" of statins are claimed to "far outweigh" the drawbacks. Now, do statins postpone death by years? No! The study linked below says that if death was indeed postponed, it was by days, like three days. The margin of statistical error was such that maybe death did come sooner, by around like 2 days.

"The effect of statins on average survival in randomised trials, an analysis of end point postponement," BMJ (www.bmjopen.bmj.com) 9/25/2015***click here>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26408281

Cow Poke
05-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Interesting.... I'm beyond 60 years of age, and the only medication I take is a baby aspirin each morning. I had been wondering if I should be on statins, because nearly everybody I know my age is.

But, besides being a bit over weight, I'm purdy durn healthy for a guy my age, and my cholesterol and other levels seem fine.

:popcorn:

Jedidiah
05-31-2016, 09:38 AM
I have been taking Crestor for years and my only symptom as a ressult is a quarterly series of blood tests.

Sparko
05-31-2016, 09:42 AM
who said they are supposed to "postpone death?"

That's a pretty bold claim.

Bill the Cat
05-31-2016, 12:33 PM
I have been taking Crestor for years and my only symptom as a ressult is a quarterly series of blood tests.

Same here. I'm on Crestor, and I have no side effects, and my ldl is much lower since I started taking it.

Bill the Cat
05-31-2016, 12:34 PM
who said they are supposed to "postpone death?"

That's a pretty bold claim.

Because they observed the parallel universe where that "you" didn't take it and they saw how much longer the other "you" lived. Silly.

Sparko
05-31-2016, 12:50 PM
I was planning on dying in another 100 years, but I should postpone it by taking a statin.

I have a new one I invented myself. I call it Procrastistatin.

Raphael
05-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Interesting.... I'm beyond 60 years of age, and the only medication I take is a baby aspirin each morning. I had been wondering if I should be on statins, because nearly everybody I know my age is.

But, besides being a bit over weight, I'm purdy durn healthy for a guy my age, and my cholesterol and other levels seem fine.

:popcorn:

My dad is 77. Very fit for his age (fitter than a number of people half his age, still stumping around the mountain side sorting out the water pipes after the cows have kicked them loose, riding his bicycle into town etc.)

He just discovered he had a major blockage in one of his arteries. He was having stable anginas whenever he exerted himself. When he wasn't exerting himself he was fine. Nothing showed up on his regular EKG's. His cholesterol levels were good. It was only when they put him on a treadmill could they detect the problem.

He's had a stent put in (two weeks ago) and he's largely back to normal now (and I think on statins). What really scared him is discovering that for some time he's been in serious danger of a heart attack while thinking he was fine.

Moral of the story, once you get older, get them to do stricter testing. make sure they test your heart on a treadmill as well.

Truthseeker
05-31-2016, 02:28 PM

:popcorn:Great! Congratulations!

Truthseeker
05-31-2016, 02:29 PM
who said they are supposed to "postpone death?" That's a pretty bold claim.Not sure what you mean.

Truthseeker
05-31-2016, 02:45 PM
So, y'all are pretty sure you are not suffering any nasty side effects? Also that there will be none?

Sparko
05-31-2016, 04:29 PM
Not sure what you mean.you are saying they claim to postpone death. can you show me where they make this claim?

Cow Poke
06-01-2016, 04:15 AM
make sure they test your heart on a treadmill as well.

They don't have to take it out to do that, do they?

Raphael
06-01-2016, 04:36 AM
They don't have to take it out to do that, do they?

Yup. You get to watch it running in the treadmill

Truthseeker
06-01-2016, 02:48 PM
you are saying they claim to postpone death. can you show me where they make this claim?Did you click on the last link given in the OP? And it was not I who made that claim. The authors of that scientific paper concluded that statins do very little good if at all.

Truthseeker
06-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Yup. You get to watch it running in the treadmill?? Must be a sight to behold, considering that hearts don't have legs, do they?

Raphael
06-01-2016, 02:56 PM
?? Must be a sight to behold, considering that hearts don't have legs, do they?

Truthseeker
06-01-2016, 03:47 PM
I have beheld a heart on legs. Praise the Lord.