Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Dropping DirecTV - What's good on Hulu or NetFlix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping DirecTV - What's good on Hulu or NetFlix

So, I finally got tired of paying $100/ month for TV, I had renegotiate it a couple of times, but I'm just tired of paying. I now have my antenna and HTPC setup and working (for the most part), we also have a Netflix and a Hulu Prime account. So I'm looking for some recommendation for some good series to stream/get into. We like (and are recording off the antenna) Blue Bloods, NCIS family, Bones, Last Man Standing, Big Bang Theory... My wife likes some of the British stuff. One of her fav's is "Rosemary and Thyme", and we started watching a British Detective Series called "A Touch of Frost"
    so, let me have your suggestions...Movie suggestions are ok to!

Thanks!

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Dr Who.
    Top Gear.

And when it starts on Amazon Prime: The Grand Tour.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      Dr Who.
      Top Gear.

And when it starts on Amazon Prime: The Grand Tour.
      We LOVE Doctor Who...but we don't have Amazon Prime. Is Doctor Who on Netflix or Hulu Prime? I didn't find it. Is there another way to stream Doctor Who?
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Dr Who is on Netflix (atleast the NZ Netflix)

The Grand Tour (Clarkson, Hammond and May from Top Gear) will be on Amazon Prime

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          Dr Who is on Netflix (atleast the NZ Netflix)
          Apparently not on the US Netflix...

The Grand Tour (Clarkson, Hammond and May from Top Gear) will be on Amazon Prime
          Top Gear's ok, we used to watch it a lot...I've seen most of them

Comment

They just took Who off netflix. It's on amazon prime now.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              They just took Who off netflix. It's on amazon prime now.
              That would explain why I can get it on Netflix and you can't. We don't have Amazon Prime in New Zealand.

(we also don't get Hulu)

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

I've got Netflix, mostly because Cable is WAAAAY too expensive ($10 a month to stream Netflix on my Wii U... My local Cable TV Provider would set me back $70 a Month). I mostly keep it around for the Cartoons, Westerns and the Superhero Stuff, as well as the occasional movie.

If you like Superhero stuff... the Daredevil TV show is very well done. It's darker than Marvel's Usual Cinematic fare, but they needed it that way to do The Man Without Fear justice.
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  Apparently not on the US Netflix...
                  It was on BBC America but they stopped as well

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We have been watching Flashpoint on Netflix....

it's an intense cop drama - Special Response Team - in CANADA, of all places, but I don't think I've heard a single cuss word
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                      I've got Netflix, mostly because Cable is WAAAAY too expensive ($10 a month to stream Netflix on my Wii U... My local Cable TV Provider would set me back $70 a Month). I mostly keep it around for the Cartoons, Westerns and the Superhero Stuff, as well as the occasional movie.

If you like Superhero stuff... the Daredevil TV show is very well done. It's darker than Marvel's Usual Cinematic fare, but they needed it that way to do The Man Without Fear justice.
                      Yeah...my wife doesn't like the darker stuff, Capt. America, Iron Man, she's ok with those but she doesn't like rough/gritty/dark stuff much. I might prescreen it though...just to make sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

it's an intense cop drama - Special Response Team - in CANADA, of all places, but I don't think I've heard a single cuss word
                        Yeah...that's a pretty good show. We used to watch it when it was on network TV...so I've seen most of them already...unless they continued the series on Netflix?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

yeah it looks like Toronto, but they try to keep it generic so you don't know that it is even in Canada, until you see all the pink money and stuff.

I liked that show. It kinda just faded away on network TV. I cant remember if they had a closure episode or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                            Yeah...that's a pretty good show. We used to watch it when it was on network TV...so I've seen most of them already...unless they continued the series on Netflix?
                            We watched series 1 episode 1 of NCIS and Bluebloods last night... Commissioner Reagan sure has fattened up since the first episode, and it was neat remembering how Kate got added to the team from her stint with the Secret Service.

We SERIALLY watched Bluebloods a while back from episode 1, and it was interesting to see how things that happen in subsequent episodes reference things that happened in previous episodes --- sometimes, it's like there's an "inside joke" if you didn't see a prior episode.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just for grins, since my wife and I seldom watch different shows - most of the time we watch stuff together - we went down to just one receiver, and I cabled it to the various places in the house and garage that had TVs.

It was actually pretty good, cause no matter what room you walked into, you picked up where you left off. (like the Grasshopper, or whatever that is)

I also contested the high cost, and actually got down to $47 for everything we wanted. So, we have that, but we also use ROKU.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X