Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Lead singer of Everyday Sunday says he is a homosexual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead singer of Everyday Sunday says he is a homosexual

https://www.yahoo.com/music/everyday...160500502.html

Trey Pearson, the founding member of Christian rock group Everyday Sunday, kept his sexuality secret for decades. Then, on Tuesday, he came out as gay in an open letter to his fans, published in (614) Columbus, explaining the daily difficulty he faced in pretending to be something he wasn't for fear of how his church, his God, his family and his friends would respond.

"I grew up in a very conservative Christian home where I was taught that my sexual orientation was a matter of choice, and had put all my faith into that," Pearson wrote.

"I had never before admitted to myself that I was gay, let alone to anyone else. I never wanted to be gay. I was scared of what God would think and what all of these people I loved would think about me; so it never was an option for me. I have been suppressing these attractions and feelings since adolescence. I've tried my whole life to be straight."
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

I am sure he will be applauded for his courage and accepted with open arms by the liberal Christan group.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Does it say whether he's in a partnership with anyone? Could just be that he's admitting to be a homosexual, and hasn't had any luck changing his sexual desires. In that case I don't see what's wrong with him admitting this public. Conversion therapy, and other nonsensical ideas like 'pray the gay away' needs to die.

Comment

He is still married with 2 kids.
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Does it say whether he's in a partnership with anyone? Could just be that he's admitting to be a homosexual, and hasn't had any luck changing his sexual desires. In that case I don't see what's wrong with him admitting this public. Conversion therapy, and other nonsensical ideas like 'pray the gay away' needs to die.
          I don't know Leo... they are doing some pretty amazing things with neuroplasticity and behavior/addiction modification, so who knows?
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I don't know Leo... they are doing some pretty amazing things with neuroplasticity and behavior/addiction modification, so who knows?
            No they aren't. We do know this stuff doesn't work. The psychiatric department tried to cure people of homosexual attraction for years using just about every kind of treatment you can imagine, from cognitive therapy, down into the dark basement of brain surgery, and torture (I mean aversion therapy). No consistent success.

I've seen the stuff peddled as reperative therapy, and been psychoanalysed by amateurs as well. Some of it is a harmless waste of time, and the rest is outright ridiculous and pseudoscientific sham treatment made by well meaning but misguided pastors. While I've seen people change their sexual attraction slowly over the years, I've not seen any studies really indicating that this can be controlled.

Me personally I haven't had my desires change since I was aware of them in ninth grade. I've decided to live a life of celibacy rather than beat my head against a wall in futility.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              No they aren't.
              Uh, yes they are. As I said, for addiction and behavioral modification.

We do know this stuff doesn't work.
              This stuff works. But it has not been explored WRT sexual orientation, but it has shown great promise in modifying behavior in addicts.

The psychiatric department tried to cure people of homosexual attraction for years using just about every kind of treatment you can imagine, from cognitive therapy, down into the dark basement of brain surgery, and torture (I mean aversion therapy). No consistent success.
              The type of treatments tried didn't work, but that is not to say that it can't leverage newer techniques of neuroplasticity. If it ever gets permitted again...

I've seen the stuff peddled as reperative therapy, and been psychoanalysed by amateurs as well. Some of it is a harmless waste of time, and the rest is outright ridiculous and pseudoscientific sham treatment made by well meaning but misguided pastors. While I've seen people change their sexual attraction slowly over the years, I've not seen any studies really indicating that this can be controlled.
              But, again, there are fascinating developments in behavioral modification going on. Who knows how far they can take this new approach?

Me personally I haven't had my desires change since I was aware of them in ninth grade. I've decided to live a life of celibacy rather than beat my head against a wall in futility.
              Admirable. And that is what I asked the lead singer on their Facebook page. Would he remain in his marriage or would he give in to his fleshly desires?
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment