Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Love From The Peace Loving Left!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Love From The Peace Loving Left!

Why does the left so hate opposing speech? I thought they were the models of tolerance and understanding?

Donald Trump's rally in San Jose, California, Thursday night was marred by violence by anti-Trump demonstrators who targeted the event's attendees and police.

The San Jose Police Department said it "made a few arrests" after the rally, and an officer was assaulted. A department representative said Thursday night, "As of this time, we do not have specific information on the arrests made. There has been no significant property damage reported."

Trump's foes surrounded the San Jose Convention Center, where scuffles broke out between them and Trump supporters. Some of the altercations were physical, resulting in bloody injuries, as in the video below.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/viole...ry?id=39576437
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

There was also this on twitter from Vox's Emmett Rensin:

Advice: If Trump comes to your town, start a riot.

- Emmett Rensin (@emmettrensin) 10:10 PM - 2 Jun 2016

@emmettrensin Wait, this is a diversion. What is legitimate to do to Trump or his supporters? What isn’t?

- Michael B Dougherty (@michaelbd) 11:05 PM - 2 Jun 2016

@michaelbd Destroying property is legitimate. Shouting down is legitimate. Disruption of all events is legitimate. Murder isn't.
    - Emmett Rensin (@emmettrensin) 11:06 PM - 2 Jun 2016
    But of course the left is completely blameless, and the right is 100% responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Why does the left so hate opposing speech? I thought they were the models of tolerance and understanding?
      Because they spend so much time talking about "hate speech" that they think they're supposed to hate speech?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

from vox:

"On Thursday night, Emmett Rensin, the deputy editor of Vox’s first person section, sent a series of tweets that, among other things, urged people to riot if Donald Trump comes to their town.

We at Vox do not take institutional positions on most questions, and we encourage our writers to debate and disagree. But direct encouragement of riots crosses a line between expressing a contrary opinion and directly encouraging dangerous, illegal activity. We welcome a variety of viewpoints, but we do not condone writing that could put others in danger.

In this case, Emmett’s tweets violated Vox’s standards and Emmett has been suspended as a consequence."

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/3/11853096...-emmett-rensin

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          from vox:

"On Thursday night, Emmett Rensin, the deputy editor of Vox’s first person section, sent a series of tweets that, among other things, urged people to riot if Donald Trump comes to their town.

We at Vox do not take institutional positions on most questions, and we encourage our writers to debate and disagree. But direct encouragement of riots crosses a line between expressing a contrary opinion and directly encouraging dangerous, illegal activity. We welcome a variety of viewpoints, but we do not condone writing that could put others in danger.

In this case, Emmett’s tweets violated Vox’s standards and Emmett has been suspended as a consequence."

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/3/11853096...-emmett-rensin
          I wouldn't really trust a place run by this guy.

Comment

I've honestly only seen violence from the left. Whether it's Trump rallies, democratic conventions, confrontations of Trump supporters, anti-abortion groups, racial riots, protests on college campuses, etc. Only from the left. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              I've honestly only seen violence from the left. Whether it's Trump rallies, democratic conventions, confrontations of Trump supporters, anti-abortion groups, racial riots, protests on college campuses, etc. Only from the left. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, not sure.
              Yeah, I seem to remember the violence on the right taking place with guns and nonsense like that bird sanctuary being taken over, or a similar armed standoff with the Bundy ranch

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                Yeah, I seem to remember the violence on the right taking place with guns and nonsense like that bird sanctuary being taken over, or a similar armed standoff with the Bundy ranch
                I was talking about recent random violence and in relation to the political campaigns (as that seems to be the context of the OP). In regards to the Bundy situation; during the first Bundy standoff, no one got hurt. During the second standoff, it was one of the Bundy members that got shot. If you want to compare that to riots, threats against press at college campuses and random violence against Trump supporters, okay.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  I'm fairly liberal and do not like Trump, but I disapprove of what many did at these protests. Why is it that when these things happen, you tend to accuse "the left" as if they're one homogeneous group? Many on the left oppose these actions.
                  Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                    I'm fairly liberal and do not like Trump, but I disapprove of what many did at these protests. Why is it that when these things happen, you tend to accuse "the left" as if they're one homogeneous group? Many on the left oppose these actions.
                    But those on the Left have been about as effective at suppressing these protests as the more respectable elements on the Right have been at suppressing Trump's more absurd statements or the actions of some of his followers.
                    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                      Probably because if these were Trump supporters it would be treated by the left press like it was the end of the world. I remember specifically that violence was initially blamed on Trump supporters. I remember networks like TYT milked this misconception for all it was worth. Now that folks are prepared with their cameras on the ready, we realize who was actually behind the violence.

Comment

Probably because if these were Trump supporters it would be treated by the left press like it was the end of the world. I remember specifically that violence was initially blamed on Trump supporters. I remember networks like TYT milked this misconception for all it was worth. Now that folks are prepared with their cameras on the ready, we realize who was actually behind the violence.
                        And no apology from the Turks for their lies,
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Time for a new candidate.

Zombie Reagan.

Comment

I was talking about recent random violence and in relation to the political campaigns (as that seems to be the context of the OP). In regards to the Bundy situation; during the first Bundy standoff, no one got hurt. During the second standoff, it was one of the Bundy members that got shot. If you want to compare that to riots, threats against press at college campuses and random violence against Trump supporters, okay.
                            Yes, hurt after pulling a weapon on a federal agent. The point is that right wing violence, used politically, is by the use of Firearms. Or do you think those fools would have been in that bird sanctuary for a full month without guns?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              But those on the Left have been about as effective at suppressing these protests as the more respectable elements on the Right have been at suppressing Trump's more absurd statements or the actions of some of his followers.
                              We discourage it, routinely, among the local party leadership. Same reason we don't counter protest most things. Can't control people though, least of all unaffiliated people new to the process, and making a real attempt beyond advice would be the same kind of authoritarian stuff we routinely denounce.

Comment