PDA

View Full Version : looking at a new laptop, ideas ?

Luv1another
06-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Hey Guys,
last time I invested in a laptop was 5 years ago, this one is slowing down and starting to get a few minor issues so just putting some feelers out to see what is good and reliable at the moment. I have a Sony i5-2410M cpu @ 2.30GHz, RAM 4.00gb, 64-bit OS, full HD 1080
Sony is no longer making laptops or I would be tempted to go for another.
I will be using it for normal stuff like email, facebook etc and I play games like Dragon age, sims, mass effect etc

I have looked at a ROG, MSI and Alienware I have about $1500 Australian to spend. I want something reliable and that will last at least 5 years.... so what do people recommend?
I have read that ROG is nothing but one issue after another anyone have any idea if that's true?

Cow Poke
06-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Look at the minimum system requirements of the most demanding applications you use. That will be your baseline.

Video, for example, plus video memory, etc... system memory (RAM), and processor speed.

DesertBerean
06-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Yes...what are your most important requirements?

Raphael
06-04-2016, 04:35 PM
This one is nice:
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/lenovo-yoga-500-14-2-in-1-laptop.html

Otherwise this one http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/hp-pavilion-17-g101ax-17-3-laptop.html

Luv1another
06-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Hi Guys,
hmm Raphael those both have AMD processors, I have been told Intel are better?
I am wondering what brands are reliable these days since a LOT ok MOST laptops are made in china or Asian countries, I have heard Alienware are made in USA still.
I am not sure what my maximum requirements will be in the next 5 years but would like to be able to play some of the games that will come out so want a good reliable machine with system that wont be out of date in 5 years and will keep up with system requirements of a lot of games.
I also want a laptop so for days like today I can move to my bed (I have sciatica pain so am having to limit movement). I also need a disk drive for older games I have...a lot of games are downloaded these days but all mine are still on disk.

what is HP like these days? what about this one Raphael? http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-ab227tx-15-6-notebook-silver.html
or this? http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/toshiba-satellite-l50-c002-15-6-laptop.html
or this? http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-510-15-6-laptop.html

Chrawnus
06-07-2016, 02:39 AM
Hi Guys,
hmm Raphael those both have AMD processors, I have been told Intel are better?
I am wondering what brands are reliable these days since a LOT ok MOST laptops are made in china or Asian countries, I have heard Alienware are made in USA still.
I am not sure what my maximum requirements will be in the next 5 years but would like to be able to play some of the games that will come out so want a good reliable machine with system that wont be out of date in 5 years and will keep up with system requirements of a lot of games.
I also want a laptop so for days like today I can move to my bed (I have sciatica pain so am having to limit movement). I also need a disk drive for older games I have...a lot of games are downloaded these days but all mine are still on disk.

what is HP like these days? what about this one Raphael? http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-ab227tx-15-6-notebook-silver.html
or this? http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/toshiba-satellite-l50-c002-15-6-laptop.html
or this? http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-510-15-6-laptop.html

Looking at the laptops you've linked to, I don't think any of them are going to keep up for even close to 5 years. All of them are either using 940M or 930M graphics card, both of which are low-to-mid tier laptop graphics card in Nvidia's current generation of graphics card (the 9 stands for the generation of the card, while the 30 or 40 that comes after stands for what "tier" they are in in that generation). A laptop with a 780M (the generation before the 900 generation, they skipped the 800 generation) card for example, will massively outperform a 930M or 940M card, because it is a top-tier card in the previous generation, while the 930 and 940 are just in the low range of the 900 generation. Even if you go for a laptop with a 960M (which will require you to go over your $1500 australian limit, the 780M will still outperform it in terms of raw performance (although only slightly, and the 960 might be more attractive due to other capabilities, such as support for newer Nvidia technologies).

Maybe if you'd have lived somewhere other than Australia (seriously, what's the deal with your massively expensive computers/computer parts over there? :huh:) you might have gotten away with spending $1500 on a laptop and expecting it to last for 5 years while keeping up with the latest games.

It would probably be better for you to order a laptop from somewhere like newegg, and have them ship the laptop to Australia. Both of the following will massively outperform the ones you linked to above, and will only slightly set you above your $1500 australian limit when you account for shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232998
http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234164

But even then I'm not sure if they are going to keep up with the system requirements for most games 5 years in to the future. It's possible they will, but I wouldn't count on it. :shrug:

Luv1another
06-07-2016, 02:59 AM
Thanks Chrawnus :) I had looked at those actually but then looked at reviews and apparently Asus isn't that well ranked and seems people have loads of issues with them. That was only a couple reviews though...do you know much about them?
oh and the reason for the high prices is the low dollar here :( $1 is about 69 USA cents presently

Chrawnus
06-07-2016, 03:06 AM
As an aside, if you're willing to pay a little extra I would go for the laptop in the second link, because of the 4GB VRAM.

Luv1another
06-07-2016, 03:10 AM
this is the one I had looked at but then read Asus wasnt that good a brand.... http://www.warehouse1.com.au/epages/shop.sf/?Locale=en_AU&ObjectPath=/Shops/warehouse1/Products/G551VW-FW148T&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal&gclid=CJXskoC6hs0CFYKYvAodOo0Lmg

Chrawnus
06-07-2016, 03:12 AM
Thanks Chrawnus :) I had looked at those actually but then looked at reviews and apparently Asus isn't that well ranked and seems people have loads of issues with them. That was only a couple reviews though...do you know much about them?
oh and the reason for the high prices is the low dollar here :( $1 is about 69 USA cents presently

I honestly don't know much about Asus or any other brand when it comes to laptops, since I'm mostly a desktop PC gamer. But even so I still would recommend the ones I linked to over the ones you linked to, especially when taking into account the fact that you want them to be able to keep up with system requirements for a few years.

Of course, if you're able to find laptops with similar specs in a similar price range from brands with a higher popular opinion when it comes to their laptop selection you're probably not doing anything wrong if you go with one of those instead. :shrug:

Luv1another
06-07-2016, 03:16 AM
ok thankyou Chrawnus :luv:

Chrawnus
06-07-2016, 03:24 AM
this is the one I had looked at but then read Asus wasnt that good a brand.... http://www.warehouse1.com.au/epages/shop.sf/?Locale=en_AU&ObjectPath=/Shops/warehouse1/Products/G551VW-FW148T&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal&gclid=CJXskoC6hs0CFYKYvAodOo0Lmg

Honestly, I'm not so sure it's wise to trust either the ones that praise Asus, or lambast them when it comes to their laptop build quality. It could be that the ones complaining about their laptops simply had issues with their specific laptop, and Asus laptops in general are good quality. Then again, it could be a widespread issue. Did you look at the date of the bad reviews? If they're a few years old it could be that the quality of Asus laptops has become better, and that the problem that people have with Asus is mainly for older generation laptops. I'm just speculating wildly here though.

Chrawnus
06-07-2016, 03:26 AM
ok thankyou Chrawnus :luv:

You better not hit me if you order an Asus laptop and it breaks down in a few months. :uhoh:

Luv1another
06-07-2016, 03:28 AM
haha its Mossy who has the rolling pin ;) I do appreciate the input even if I decide on something else :)

Raphael
06-07-2016, 05:15 AM
All three of those are good options.
Mine beloved had an HP she is happy with. But both Toshiba and Lenovo have good reputations as well.

Raphael
06-07-2016, 05:20 AM

Asus ROG laptops are very good (they're competing with the Alienware and Razer laptops, they have to be good to survive). Definitely one of the best on the list at the moment (my own laptop is a normal Asus and I'm happy with it)

Chrawnus
06-07-2016, 05:53 AM
All three of those are good options.

Are you talking about the laptops she linked to initially?

Sparko
06-07-2016, 07:02 AM
I just got a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, which is basically a tablet computer but with a keyboard cover (with real keys). Runs full windows 10, has an core-i7 processor, solid state hard drive, etc. I really like it because it runs everything my old laptop did, plus it works like a tablet when I want, and it is light and easy to use anywhere. Not cheap, but not super expensive either.

Luv1another
06-12-2016, 10:16 PM
hmm Sparko not sure that the surface pro is suitable for game playing...do you play any games on it?

Luv1another
06-12-2016, 10:23 PM
Raphael, I believe Toshiba are getting out of computers...I had a toshy before my Sony and was happy with it but it seems the last few years they have gone down hill. Thats probably not surprising if they are getting out.

Sparko
06-13-2016, 06:00 AM
hmm Sparko not sure that the surface pro is suitable for game playing...do you play any games on it?Depends on the game. the screen is a bit small (13 inches) but it is as powerful as any other laptop.

Chrawnus
06-13-2016, 06:40 AM
Depends on the game. the screen is a bit small (13 inches) but it is as powerful as any other laptop.

It's as powerful as any laptop without a dedicated GPU, which is pretty much a dealbreaker if you plan on playing games that are even moderately graphically demanding. Especially if you want your laptop to keep up with system requirements for 5 years into the future. :shrug:

Sparko
06-13-2016, 07:25 AM
It's as powerful as any laptop without a dedicated GPU, which is pretty much a dealbreaker if you plan on playing games that are even moderately graphically demanding. Especially if you want your laptop to keep up with system requirements for 5 years into the future. :shrug:
I do video rendering and graphics on the tablet and it is pretty durn fast (video rendering uses a lot of the GPU (built in GPU I suppose)) - I am not much of a gamer but if there is a particular game with a free demo, I would be happy to test it out.

But then most laptops don't have a dedicated GPU, except high end gaming laptops. I don't think luv1another is playing games like Crysis. Probably more like Angry Birds. :teeth:

Chrawnus
06-13-2016, 07:35 AM
I do video rendering and graphics on the tablet and it is pretty durn fast (video rendering uses a lot of the GPU (built in GPU I suppose)) - I am not much of a gamer but if there is a particular game with a free demo, I would be happy to test it out.

But then most laptops don't have a dedicated GPU, except high end gaming laptops. I don't think luv1another is playing games like Crysis. Probably more like Angry Birds. :teeth:

I will be using it for normal stuff like email, facebook etc and I play games like Dragon age, sims, mass effect etc

:shrug:

Sparko
06-13-2016, 07:49 AM
:shrug:sounds like a surface pro would work for her needs.

They are not cheap though. Just portable and convenient, easy to use in bed, etc. If she is not worried about that, then any laptop would do.

Chrawnus
06-13-2016, 08:04 AM
sounds like a surface pro would work for her needs.

They are not cheap though. Just portable and convenient, easy to use in bed, etc. If she is not worried about that, then any laptop would do.

Yeah, except she also stated that she wants a laptop that can keep up with system requirements for games that are 5 years into the future. I highly doubt a surface pro 4 is going to be able to do that, even if you go for the most powerful version with an i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM.

I checked around, and if you're content with playing with low graphical settings and resolution and still getting fairly low framerates, then I guess the SP4 wouldn't necessarily be out of the picture. But if you have about $1500 Australian to spend and want to experience decently smooth gameplay you're much better off going for a low- to mid-range gaming laptop instead. :shrug:

ETA: Incidentally, this is my 3000th post. Do I win something? :noid:

Sparko
06-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Yeah, except she also stated that she wants a laptop that can keep up with system requirements for games that are 5 years into the future. I highly doubt a surface pro 4 is going to be able to do that, even if you go for the most powerful version with an i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM. :smug: That's what I have.

And it plays games like WoW and Steam games pretty well. I haven't had any games glitch on me yet. Most modern games will adjust themselves to your hardware. I think it will last at least 3 or 4 years into the future. The onboard GPU is pretty durn good. 6th Gen 2.2-GHz Intel Core i7-6650U processor with Intel Iris graphics 540

She wants something she can use in bed, so I am thinking a blazing hot Alienware Gaming Laptop weighing 15 pounds is not what she is looking for.

here is a breakdown of the Intel 540 GPU:
http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=3295&graphics=Iris%20Graphics%20540%20Mobile

ETA: Incidentally, this is my 3000th post. Do I win something? :noid: Only 100,000 more to go! Congratulations!

Chrawnus
06-13-2016, 08:52 AM
:smug: That's what I have.

And it plays games like WoW and Steam games pretty well. I haven't had any games glitch on me yet. Most modern games will adjust themselves to your hardware. I think it will last at least 3 or 4 years into the future. The onboard GPU is pretty durn good. 6th Gen 2.2-GHz Intel Core i7-6650U processor with Intel Iris graphics 540

She wants something she can use in bed, so I am thinking a blazing hot Alienware Gaming Laptop weighing 15 pounds is not what she is looking for.

Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend an Alienware. And the most powerful SP4 (which is in the $2K AUS range) is still going to be outperformed by a gaming laptop for $1500 AUS. And the laptops I linked to, while not being lightweight like the SP4, are still only 6 pounds, which is quite far from 15 pounds.

Sparko
06-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend an Alienware. And the most powerful SP4 (which is in the $2K AUS range) is still going to be outperformed by a gaming laptop for $1500 AUS. And the laptops I linked to, while not being lightweight like the SP4, are still only 6 pounds, which is quite far from 15 pounds. which still get awfully hot on your lap. And if you lay it on your bed, it blocks the fans and melts the motherboard. If you want a gaming computer, you are better off with a desktop, and building a $900 monster that can blow away any laptop.

But it is up to Luv1another not me or you. I just gave her a suggestion for a nice computer that is better than any tablet, yet functions as a tablet, and can play games. And will not be obsoleted by the next version of Android in a year.

Chrawnus
06-13-2016, 09:20 AM
which still get awfully hot on your lap. And if you lay it on your bed, it blocks the fans and melts the motherboard. If you want a gaming computer, you are better off with a desktop, and building a $900 monster that can blow away any laptop.

True on all accounts. Although most of the overheating issues can be fixed with a basic laptop stand, like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Support-Reading-laptops-improves-ventilation/dp/B007IT6IO8

But it is up to Luv1another not me or you. I just gave her a suggestion for a nice computer that is better than any tablet, yet functions as a tablet, and can play games. And will not be obsoleted by the next version of Android in a year.

If the SP4 is going to be able to play games coming out in the next few years it's probably going to be at low resolutions and framerates that are barely playable. :shrug:

Sparko
06-13-2016, 09:26 AM
True on all accounts. Although most of the overheating issues can be fixed with a basic laptop stand, like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Support-Reading-laptops-improves-ventilation/dp/B007IT6IO8

If the SP4 is going to be able to play games coming out in the next few years it's probably going to be at low resolutions and framerates that are barely playable. :shrug:lol. no it will not. sheesh. You have obviously never even used an SP4. I have an 3 year old HP Envy 17" high end 3D laptop (i7 3.4Ghz) that can play just about anything and run any program I throw at it. It has TWO graphics cards/GPUs in it! And my SP4 can run anything it can and some things faster and it has a much higher resolution.

Chrawnus
06-13-2016, 09:50 AM
lol. no it will not. sheesh. You have obviously never even used an SP4. I have an 3 year old HP Envy 17" high end 3D laptop (i7 3.4Ghz) that can play just about anything and run any program I throw at it. It has TWO graphics cards/GPUs in it! And my SP4 can run anything it can and some things faster and it has a much higher resolution.

gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8.

Luv1another
11-29-2017, 06:41 PM
I know I was getting a laptop over a year ago... I didnít end up doing and yesterday mine finally died... well it gets to the desktop and shuts down again 😞 sooooooo big question what would you recommend now? It needs to last at least 3 years and as before run ganes like dragon age inquisition and the new mass effect game which I will get soon 😊 the links that were up the products donít exist any longer. Again looking at max $1500 au

Raphael
11-29-2017, 07:25 PM
This one please, and then when you visit NZ next year you can leave it with me....... https://www.razerzone.com/project-valerie

Luv1another
11-29-2017, 08:36 PM
Lol that looks cool 😊 is that brand actually any good?

Raphael
11-30-2017, 01:48 AM
Razer makes very good gaming devices (so laptops, pcs and peripherals).
Intact if you have the cash their laptops that come with an external graphics card unit at a great option.

However for what you need (and kinda knowing your price range I would look at something like these two (which are both Core i7 cpus and decent graphics.... A core i5 will be cheaper but not as good) :
https://www.harveynorman.com.au/hp-15-bs625tx-15-6-laptop.html

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/lenovo-ideapad-520-7b-15-6-laptop.html

Luv1another
11-30-2017, 07:41 PM
so I got this one https://www.harveynorman.com.au/lenovo-ideapad-320-1p-15-6-laptop.html
...hubby and store guy talked me into it ... its ok but storage is only 225GB or something I was wanting maybe 1T oh well also hoping it will run my games the store guy assured me he runs his games on it so :shrug: hopefully it works out and lasts at least 4 years

Raphael
11-30-2017, 07:44 PM
so I got this one https://www.harveynorman.com.au/lenovo-ideapad-320-1p-15-6-laptop.html
...hubby and store guy talked me into it ... its ok but storage is only 225GB or something I was wanting maybe 1T oh well also hoping it will run my games the store guy assured me he runs his games on it so :shrug: hopefully it works out and lasts at least 4 years

You can always get a good external HDD for it.

Luv1another
12-01-2017, 02:49 AM
Thatís a good idea 👍🏼

tabibito
12-03-2017, 04:58 AM
Yup - 2 TB solid state these days comes in at $99