Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California Moves Toward Extending Obamacare to Illegal Immigrants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Moves Toward Extending Obamacare to Illegal Immigrants

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cal...fcL&ocid=edgsp

During a 2009 address to a joint session of Congress, President Barack Obama told the country that his plans for health care reform would not extend to people who are in the country illegally.

"You lie!" South Carolina Republican Rep. Joe Wilson notoriously shouted. Obama replied, "That's not true."

But only two years after the largest coverage provisions in the Affordable Care Act took effect, the country's most populous state has passed a bill that, in fact, seeks to extend Obamacare to people regardless of their immigration status.

The bill, now before California Gov. Jerry Brown, aims to allow people who are in the country illegally to buy private health insurance on the state's exchange. Its author, Democratic state Sen. Ricardo Lara estimates that 390,000 such immigrants could receive health insurance, but officials who operate the exchange place that number closer to 50,000.

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Oh no, people who might otherwise wait until they need to use the emergency room and then not pay their bills are going to give us money, up front, while making it easier to deport them?

It's the end of the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      [..................The bill, now before California Gov. Jerry Brown, aims to allow people who are in the country illegally to buy private health insurance on the state's exchange...................
      How dreadful!
      Folks being allowed to buy insurance......

Comment

I see the usual people fail to notice that this insurance is going to be provided on their dime. That's right, people who are not paying their federal or state taxes, are going to be getting benefits from the federal and state government. Meanwhile, several American citizens (including thousands of vets) remain homeless while the government hands out benefits to non citizens. How lovely to watch the usual idiots ignore these little details about how our government is ignoring it's duty to our citizens and trying to buy votes instead. All, of course, on the tax payer's dime.
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 06-04-2016, 08:27 AM.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
          Oh no, people who might otherwise wait until they need to use the emergency room and then not pay their bills are going to give us money, up front, while making it easier to deport them?

It's the end of the world!
          They are here illegally. They deserve to be deported! But Cali will not deport them, and they will give them financial assistance. That is plain wrong.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post
            How dreadful!
            Folks being allowed to buy insurance......
            0518fa240e3ca33567075a3322391122a9d700-wm.jpg
            That's what
            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

They are here illegally. They deserve to be deported! But Cali will not deport them, and they will give them financial assistance. That is plain wrong.
              Your article says otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                Your article says otherwise.
                California will give them financial assistance. I am making a prediction there. I never mentioned the Federal subsidies, just ones from Cali.
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

California will give them financial assistance. I am making a prediction there. I never mentioned the Federal subsidies, just ones from Cali.
                  Fair enough.

I hesitantly predict the opposite, based on California's continued financial strain and a matchbook calculation on the costs of subsidies for 2.5 million undocumented immigrants, or even the 390,000 suggested by the article. I'd like to see figures detailing current subsidies assumed by covering emergency room care for this population before making a firm prediction.

There are a couple of things that trouble me about the MSN article. First, of course, is the rationale behind identifying Obamacare with a waiver from the provisions of Obamacare, and second, the inclusion of slant from FAIR without including what many would consider important context: FAIR has been named a hate group by the SPLC, which has over the years extensively documented FAIR's links to white nationalists.

Comment

Fair enough.

I hesitantly predict the opposite, based on California's continued financial strain and a matchbook calculation on the costs of subsidies for 2.5 million undocumented immigrants, or even the 390,000 suggested by the article. I'd like to see figures detailing current subsidies assumed by covering emergency room care for this population before making a firm prediction.

There are a couple of things that trouble me about the MSN article. First, of course, is the rationale behind identifying Obamacare with a waiver from the provisions of Obamacare, and second, the inclusion of slant from FAIR without including what many would consider important context: FAIR has been named a hate group by the SPLC, which has over the years extensively documented FAIR's links to white nationalists.
                    I don't trust a single thing SPLC says. IMHO, They are the real hate group.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What do you have against Squirrels Partying Like Crazy? They are a fun group and not ... a hater ... among them.

Oooooh. You meant a different SPLC. My bad. I shoulda realized. Never mind. Carry on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

On a more serious note, the SPLC does have a rather unfortunate history of throwing around accusations of being a hate group often only because they disagree with them.

It was just that sort of behavior that led to a shooting at the Washington D.C. offices of the Family Research Council (FRC) in 2012. The gunman, who was wrestled to the ground after only shooting one person, admitted to police that he targeted the FRC because the SPLC listed them as a hate group and told the shooting victim that he didn't like their politics, which was because they are opposed to same sex marriages.

Dana Milbank, a columnist for the Washington Post -- an unabashedly progressive (liberal) writer[1] -- charged the SPLC and Human Rights Campaign with "recklessness" for labeling FRC as a hate group and scoffed at the excuses they later offered for doing so.

1. After winning the 2000 election George Bush's Deputy Chief of Staff and Senior Advisor Karl Rove asked the Washington Post to not assign him to cover the White House due to what they perceived as his overtly partisan reporting

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          1. After winning the 2000 election George Bush's Deputy Chief of Staff and Senior Advisor Karl Rove asked the Washington Post to not assign him to cover the White House due to what they perceived as his overtly partisan reporting
                          Karl Rove, accusing someone else of excessive partisanship. The mind boggles.

Comment

Karl Rove, accusing someone else of excessive partisanship. The mind boggles.
                            I was a bit amused with that myself. But in the case of Rove his job is to be partisan. Milbank, at that time, was a reporter. A journalist. They're not supposed to pass off opinion pieces as journalism. It is a good thing he has moved on to being a columnist where he doesn't have to pretend to be unbiased any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              I was a bit amused with that myself. But in the case of Rove his job is to be partisan. Milbank, at that time, was a reporter. A journalist. They're not supposed to pass off opinion pieces as journalism. It is a good thing he has moved on to being a columnist where he doesn't have to pretend to be unbiased any longer.
                              For obvious reasons, I don't find Rove's accusation credible, and I'm not otherwise familiar with Milbank's reporting on the 2000 campaign. Not that I discount it entirely. In general, I find WaPo reporting excessively breathless, for want of a better term. I'm a subscriber, so I get their daily emails. They remind me of the Guardian, relying on far too much hype.

I am familiar with the FRC's designation, as it showed up in a separate thread. They actually do use debunked, highly antagonistic materials in their campaigns against gays, marking them as reckless at best, and in effect, a hate group. I remain ambivalent about the SPLC because they don't link their original sources. On the one hand, the SPLC declined to respond to my request for original documentation. On the other, Adrift was able to locate it independently. It did check out.

The shooting incident at the FRC is a meaningless indictment of the SPLC. The SPLC lists hundreds of hate groups. Where are the other shootings? Unlike the FRC, the SPLC has not been documented using false information. The further claim, that labeling others as hate groups is itself the act of a hate group deserves nothing but scorn, a prima facie example of reasoning from paradox, simply incoherent.

Comment