Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mitt Romney and other Republican leaders condemn Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitt Romney and other Republican leaders condemn Trump

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/politics/mitt-romney-presidential-race-speech/

(CNN)Mitt Romney delivered a sweeping broadside against Donald Trump on Thursday, laying into the Republican presidential front-runner with a sharper attack than any of the party's 2016 contenders have made against the billionaire business mogul.

"Here's what I know: Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud," Romney said. "His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University. He's playing members of the American public for suckers: He gets a free ride to the White House, and all we get is a lousy hat."
    Romney said that "dishonesty is Donald Trump's hallmark," pointing to his "bullying, the greed, the showing off, the misogyny, the absurd third-grade theatrics."

There's irony in Romney's speech: Just four years ago, he courted Trump's endorsement -- even after Trump had led the "birther" controversy against President Barack Obama, insisting that Obama release his birth certificate to prove he is an American citizen.

© Copyright Original Source

The rat is at the helm, the ethical and honest Republicans are jumping ship.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-16-2016, 09:04 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/politics/mitt-romney-presidential-race-speech/

(CNN)Mitt Romney delivered a sweeping broadside against Donald Trump on Thursday, laying into the Republican presidential front-runner with a sharper attack than any of the party's 2016 contenders have made against the billionaire business mogul.

"Here's what I know: Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud," Romney said. "His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University. He's playing members of the American public for suckers: He gets a free ride to the White House, and all we get is a lousy hat."
    Romney said that "dishonesty is Donald Trump's hallmark," pointing to his "bullying, the greed, the showing off, the misogyny, the absurd third-grade theatrics."

There's irony in Romney's speech: Just four years ago, he courted Trump's endorsement -- even after Trump had led the "birther" controversy against President Barack Obama, insisting that Obama release his birth certificate to prove he is an American citizen.

I find it odd that he has shown far more vigor in attacking Trump than he ever did in going after Obama when he ran for president in 2012.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/07/politics/lindsey-graham-donald-trump/index.html

Washington (CNN)South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said Tuesday that Donald Trump's criticism of a judge with Mexican heritage is an example of playing "the race card" and is "very un-American."

"I don't think he's racist but he's playing the race card. And in the political process he's putting the race card on the table," he told CNN Tuesday. "I think it's very un-American for a political leader to question whether a person can judge based on his heritage."
      "If he continues this line of attack then I think people really need to reconsider the future of the party," Graham added.
      The senator also urged Republicans backing Trump to rescind their endorsements following the presumptive Republican nominee's comments about judges' ethnicity and religion and discomfort with a potential jurist of the Muslim faith.
      "This is the most un-American thing from a politician since Joe McCarthy," Graham told The New York Times.
      "If anybody was looking for an off-ramp, this is probably it," he added. "There'll come a time when the love of country will trump hatred of Hillary" Clinton.
      Trump is facing scrutiny for comments he made over the past week accusing Muslim and Mexican judges of being biased. He was asked Sunday on CBS's "Face the Nation" if a Muslim judge would treat him unfairly due to his proposal to ban Muslims from entering the United States.
      "It's possible, yes," Trump said. "Yes. That would be possible, absolutely."
      The businessman was already under fire for his assertion that the Mexican parentage of Judge Gonzalo Curiel has colored his rulings in lawsuits against Trump's business school, given Trump's plan to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I find it odd that he has shown far more vigor in attacking Trump than he ever did in going after Obama when he ran for president in 2012.
        Not odd at all. The reasons are very specific. Regardless of one's disagreement with Obama his ethics and integrity far surpass Donald Trump

Not all Republican leaders are willing to forsake honesty, integrity, and morals, and hold their nose to support Trump.

Frank

Comment

40% of Republican insiders want to disrupt Trump at convention

Who could replace Trump?
          Source: http://www.iran-daily.com/News/152966.html

A sizable number of Republican insiders want the party to change the rules to disrupt Donald Trump’s nomination at the Republican National Convention in July over his erratic and inflammatory comments.
          Nearly 40 percent Republican members of The Politico Caucus, a panel of activists, operatives and strategists in 10 key states, would like to see changes that could deny Trump the GOP party’s nomination.

Comment

EGGzackly - had he shown that same 'fire in the belly', we'd be calling Mitt "Mr. President".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not odd at all. The reasons are very specific. Regardless of one's disagreement with Obama his ethics and integrity far surpass Donald Trump
              No, he's just much better at hiding his foibles, and the media has no interest in exposing them.

Not all Republican leaders are willing to forsake honesty, integrity, and morals, and hold their nose to support Trump.
              So, we can call Republicans "honest" and "men of integrity" when they attack Trump!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is it so inconceivable that Romney might consider Trump to be a much less worthy candidate than Obama was or Hillary currently is?
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

That's not odd at all. Romney realizes that as much as he might personally disagree with him, Obama is ultimately a good man just trying to do what he genuinely believes will be best for this country, while Donald is not. To Obama, Romney says "I disagree with you, but I can respect you." To Donald, he says "I disagree with you, and I can't respect you."
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    No, he's just much better at hiding his foibles, and the media has no interest in exposing them.
                    Even the conservative media? Excuses, excuses, excuses.

So, we can call Republicans "honest" and "men of integrity" when they attack Trump!
                    Honester and integreter

Frank

Comment

Even the conservative media? Excuses, excuses, excuses.
                      Aw, come on... the first thing you libs scream about is "that doesn't count - that's not a legitimate news source!"

Honester and integreter
                      Can you provide a complete list of the Republicans who are honester and intereter so we can use it against you later? Purdy please?

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                        That's not odd at all. Romney realizes that as much as he might personally disagree with him, Obama is ultimately a good man just trying to do what he genuinely believes will be best for this country, while Donald is not. To Obama, Romney says "I disagree with you, but I can respect you." To Donald, he says "I disagree with you, and I can't respect you."
                        "Romney realizes" Do you speak for him?

IMHO it seems his opposition to Trump is very personal. It seems that he got very upset when Trump kept calling him a loser and the like in order to discourage him for running again. Before that Romney was pretty quiet.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Romney is a loser who didn't have the backbone to stand up to Obama and the Democrats when it really mattered. I really don't care what he has to say. Trump got more primary votes than Romney despite having considerably more competition, so Romney needs to shut his pie hole and stand aside for someone who is actually intent on winning.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Fittingly enough, the acronym for "Republicans Against Trump" is RAT.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Romney is a loser who didn't have the backbone to stand up to Obama and the Democrats when it really mattered. I really don't care what he has to say. Trump got more primary votes than Romney despite having considerably more competition, so Romney needs to shut his pie hole and stand aside for someone who is actually intent on winning.
                              You place too much emphasis on your acrid ridicule of Mitt Romney, when he is only one of many Republicans dumping Trump for the reasons I cited.

Source: http://www.redstate.com/california_yankee/2016/06/09/dumping-trumps-gop/

State Sen. David Johnson, one of the senior members of the Iowa Senate after serving 18 years in the Iowa Legislature, changed his voter registration on Tuesday from Republican to "no party."Johnson hasn't yet decided yet whether he will quit the Republican Caucus in the Iowa Senate. Why did Johnson "suspend" his Republican Party membership? To protest Donald Trump's "racist remarks and Republican Party":

"I will not stand silent if the party of Lincoln and the end of slavery buckles under the racial bias of a bigot," Johnson said, referring to Trump. His criticism was prompted by Trump's comments that federal Judge Gonzalo P. Curiel, who is presiding over a lawsuit involving the now-closed Trump University, was biased because of his Mexican heritage. The judge was born in the United States.

Again . . .
                              Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/07/politics/lindsey-graham-donald-trump/index.html

Washington (CNN)South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said Tuesday that Donald Trump's criticism of a judge with Mexican heritage is an example of playing "the race card" and is "very un-American."

Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-21-2016, 06:26 AM.

Frank

Comment