Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Usual Suspects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Usual Suspects

I'd never seen this movie before, but I heard that it was good with one of the best twist endings ever (without reading any spoilers on what the twist was). So I watched it last night.

Meh. Man, that was disappointing. I don't really get where all the praise comes from...I actually thought of the "jaw-dropping" twist like halfway through, and then dismissed it because I knew the twist was shocking, and what I'd just predicted wasn't shocking. It was too easy, too obvious.

Maybe the movie would have been a lot better if I hadn't heard about some huge twist beforehand, so that I wasn't trying to figure out what it was? Not sure. But as it is, I found the movie to be a rather mundane affair with a rather mundane twist.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

I thought it was pretty good.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      I thought it was pretty good.
      It certainly wasn't bad, but I guess I was putting too much hope in the surprise ending.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I'd never seen this movie before, but I heard that it was good with one of the best twist endings ever (without reading any spoilers on what the twist was). So I watched it last night.

Meh. Man, that was disappointing. I don't really get where all the praise comes from...I actually thought of the "jaw-dropping" twist like halfway through, and then dismissed it because I knew the twist was shocking, and what I'd just predicted wasn't shocking. It was too easy, too obvious.
        I think the twist broke unprecedented ground when it was released in the 1990s, and that's where much of the hype came from. But in the 20+ years since then, there have been so many movies and stories with wacky twist endings that it just doesn't feel as special as it did back in the day. We've all become jaded.

Similarly, I'd long heard that "Citizen Kane" was considered to be arguably the best movie of all time, but when I finally watched it a few years ago, it didn't strike me that way. Wouldn't say it was bad, but it didn't seem like it was all that special to me. But maybe that's in part because I'm too far removed from the context that made it seem so gripping and moving. Or maybe my hearing that it was the best movie of all time primed my expectations to be way too high.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Good point .
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X