Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Any good historical fiction based on the Bible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good historical fiction based on the Bible?

I'd like to know if there are any books that take a story from the Bible and expand in a culturally and theologically accurate manner.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Perhaps Samson (judge in ancient Israel) gets a mystery to solve like Jessica B. Fletcher in Murder She Wrote.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Pontius Pilate: A Novel by Paul Maier isn't bad.
      The Last Disciple, The Last Sacrifice, and The Last Temple by Hank Hanegraaf are good.

Those are all that immediately come to mind.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The movie risen isnt to bad. I will say this though it has some historical hiccups.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm about to take a look at Noah Primeval, which kicks off a whole series of books set in Genesis.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I'm about to take a look at Noah Primeval, which kicks off a whole series of books set in Genesis.
            As fiction, this is painfully bad.

sigpic

Comment

As fiction, this is painfully bad.
              I read some of the later books in the series. You can tell the writer is a screenwriter with the sheer number of action scenes. I got the young adult versions, because I don't like violence and sex to be too detailed. Who reads the Bible and thinks, "You know what this needs? More action!". I thought the ones I read were okay. It's definitely fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                I read some of the later books in the series. You can tell the writer is a screenwriter with the sheer number of action scenes. I got the young adult versions, because I don't like violence and sex to be too detailed. Who reads the Bible and thinks, "You know what this needs? More action!". I thought the ones I read were okay. It's definitely fiction.
                Maybe I'll check out one of the later books. There's way too much explanation in the first one, the dialogue is awkward, the fight scenes are unrealistic.... There's promise there, but it's very poorly executed.

sigpic

Comment

Maybe I'll check out one of the later books. There's way too much explanation in the first one, the dialogue is awkward, the fight scenes are unrealistic.... There's promise there, but it's very poorly executed.
                  It's like the writer found the most fantastic midrashes and decided to make an action story with them. I think the problem is that not all thee characters make sense to be in an action story. Joshua and David makes sense to have an action filled story. Abraham and Noah don't usually make me think of action. And there are too many time skips between books. I did think it was funny that the Caleb book ended on a cliffhanger and the writer pretty much without saying it said to look at the Bible if you really need to know what happened. They win of course. But he missed out on having yet another action scene! And there are so many stories in the Bible that would make for great action adventure tales.

Comment