Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal reporter tried to buy gun, was denied because of background check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberal reporter tried to buy gun, was denied because of background check

“it was uncovered that Mr. Steinberg has an admitted history of alcohol abuse, and a charge for domestic battery involving his wife."
    http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=66402

Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

oopsie.

So it's either liberals saying that the gun control laws don't work and are so lax that anyone can get a gun, or they complain because the gun control laws DO what they want them to and they don't like being on the wrong side of it.

Comment

Read it, believe it.

How many of you folks would care to fund my beer stash by betting he didn't pass a background check?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        Read it, believe it.

How many of you folks would care to fund my beer stash by betting he didn't pass a background check?
        I dunno man, can we really not trust thisainthell.us?

Comment

Read it, believe it.

um that was the point of the article. He didn't pass a background check.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            um that was the point of the article. He didn't pass a background check.
            Guiness stout, by preference, thanks.

Comment

Guiness stout, by preference, thanks.
              did you see a bet?

Comment

besides Guiness is not beer. It is something like beer that was left out in the room overnight till it went flat. and died.

Comment

Read it, believe it.

I decided to read the Sun-Times article instead of the blog. I find it interesting that the reporter did not contest Maxon's charges, but instead tried to invent a "real" reason - based on extrapolating anecdotal evidence from a discussion with his neighbor to gun buyers in general.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    I decided to read the Sun-Times article instead of the blog. I find it interesting that the reporter did not contest Maxon's charges, but instead tried to invent a "real" reason - based on extrapolating anecdotal evidence from a discussion with his neighbor to gun buyers in general.
                    I give the guy credit for nailing the absurdity of the piece, and TAH credit for quoting it.
                    Earlier, in my editor’s office, I had ticked off the reasons for me not to buy a gun: this was a journalistic stunt; done repeatedly; supporting an industry I despise. But as I tell people, I just work here, I don’t own the place. And my qualms melted as I dug into the issue.

As for the "real" reason they reversed the sale, seeing as the one they gave doesn't hold water, folks should feel free to speculate away.

Steinberg's not a reporter, in any case. He's a columnist, fairly well known in Chicago, though hardly a Royko. He writes for the Sun Times, which Royko left when it went full tabloid after being bought out by Murdoch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      besides Guiness is not beer. It is something like beer that was left out in the room overnight till it went flat. and died.
                      Why do you hate the Irish?

Comment

Why do you hate the Irish?
                        They talk funny and keep trying to steal my pot of gold.

Comment

I give the guy credit for nailing the absurdity of the piece, and TAH credit for quoting it.
                          Earlier, in my editor’s office, I had ticked off the reasons for me not to buy a gun: this was a journalistic stunt; done repeatedly; supporting an industry I despise. But as I tell people, I just work here, I don’t own the place. And my qualms melted as I dug into the issue.

As for the "real" reason they reversed the sale, seeing as the one they gave doesn't hold water, folks should feel free to speculate away.

Steinberg's not a reporter, in any case. He's a columnist, fairly well known in Chicago, though hardly a Royko. He writes for the Sun Times, which Royko left when it went full tabloid after being bought out by Murdoch.
                          What gives you the idea that the reason they gave doesn't hold water?
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              What gives you the idea that the reason they gave doesn't hold water?
                              STEINBERG: Would-be terrorists can buy guns, but a reporter? No.
                              When it came time to make the purchase, Rob, the clerk with the tattoos, handed me over to Mike, who gave his name shaking my hand, I gave mine. “The writer?” he said. If I wanted to lie as part of my job, I’d have gone into public relations. “Yes,” I said, explaining that I plan to buy the gun, shoot at their range, then give it to the police. He suggested I sell it back to them instead and I heartily agreed. Economical. If they would let me photograph myself with it there, the gun need never leave the store.

Comment