Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Uncaused what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncaused what?

Theists and deists believe God to be an uncaused entity.

If you reject this notion - what is it or are there that you would regard as uncaused and why?
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Originally posted by 37818 View Post

If you reject this notion - what is it or are there that you would regard as uncaused and why?
    I believe that God is an uncaused entity, but I do not believe there is a logical argument that proves this. On the other hand it possible that Natural Law and the Quantum World is possibly uncaused.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I believe that God is an uncaused entity, but I do not believe there is a logical argument that proves this. On the other hand it possible that Natural Law and the Quantum World is possibly uncaused.

Can you give any kind of why for these?
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Not sure. How could we tell the difference between something that is uncaused, and something which has a cause we can't determine?
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Can you give any kind of why for these?
          Why remains a hypothetical anecdotal claim by those that believe based on what is believed, and not a necessary qualification for the belief of either God exists nor God does not exist.

Can you describe answering the question 'why?' is necessary.

Actually there is the question unanswered, which is; 'If God exists, why did God created our physical existence as it is?'

In general the Metaphysical Naturalists are not concerned with the issue of 'Why is the nature of our physical existence is as it is?'
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-22-2016, 11:39 AM.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Why remains a hypothetical anecdotal claim by those that believe based on what is believed, and not a necessary qualification for the belief of either God exists nor God does not exist.

Actually there is the question unanswered, which is; 'If God exists, why did God created our physical existence as it is?'

In general the Metaphysical Naturalists are not concerned with the issue of 'Why is the nature of our physical existence is as it is?'
            The a question of why are as to your reasons for your previous answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Not sure. How could we tell the difference between something that is uncaused, and something which has a cause we can't determine?
              So as far as you can tell there need only be caused things. Is that correct?

Comment

Yes indeed, let’s never allow our ignorance to get in the way of a good God.

Rejecting the idea of God does not mean that you have to replace it with something. You don’t know what you don’t know and sometimes you just have to leave it at that.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  Yes indeed, let’s never allow our ignorance to get in the way of a good God.

Rejecting the idea of God does not mean that you have to replace it with something. You don’t know what you don’t know and sometimes you just have to leave it at that.
                  A non responsive reply. There is something that is uncaused. What might that be? That is the question. You simply ranted.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    A non responsive reply. There is something that is uncaused. What might that be? That is the question. You simply ranted.
                    It's not, actually. "I don't know" is a valid answer. An alternative is not required.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      How could we tell the difference between something that is uncaused, and something which has a cause we can't determine?
                      Good question if you meant, "Any cause we can't detect, so far."
                      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        Good question if you meant, "Any cause we can't detect, so far."
                        It's entirely possible that we'll never be able to detect the cause.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

So as far as you can tell there need only be caused things. Is that correct?
                          No.

Frank

Comment

The a question of why are as to your reasons for your previous answer.
                            The answer stands as is. Why is not necessary.

Again . . .

Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-22-2016, 06:47 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              You have two clear choices for the uncaused cause. Either God, or if there is no God(s) the infinite Quantum World and natural law. It is unlikely that which unncaused cause is true cannot be objectively determined. As it is now it is ultimately based on belief in a philosophical/theological assumption either way.

Frank

Comment