PDA

View Full Version : The Assumption of Hate

Teallaura
06-23-2016, 05:49 AM
There is a line in the movie "Pollyanna" that is attributed to Abraham Lincoln, "If you look for the evil in men, you shall surely find it".

Sparko
06-23-2016, 06:12 AM
what about women?

mossrose
06-23-2016, 06:30 AM
Women look for the evil in men all the time.

And we remember EVERYTHING!

Cow Poke
06-23-2016, 06:31 AM

Sorry, you were saying?

mossrose
06-23-2016, 06:34 AM
Sorry, you were saying?

You NEVER listen to me!

Sparko
06-23-2016, 06:48 AM
one word: Hillary.

Cow Poke
06-23-2016, 06:55 AM
You NEVER listen to me!

It's a guy thing. :shrug:

rogue06
06-23-2016, 07:02 AM

And are sure to bring it up at the most inopportune times.

Man: How about we go get some barbecue to eat.

Woman: I'll bet that woman who's body you were staring at when we were at the beach in 1996 would want to go with you.

Man: ...

Sparko
06-23-2016, 07:03 AM
And are sure to bring it up at the most inopportune times.

Man: How about we go get some barbecue to eat.

Woman: I'll bet that woman who's body you were staring at when we were at the beach in 1996 would want to go with you.

Man: ...
Sparko: she might. I think I might still have her number!

mossrose
06-23-2016, 07:12 AM
I'm sorry, Laura. Did you want this to be a serious thread?

Carrikature
06-23-2016, 08:15 AM
There is a line in the movie "Pollyanna" that is attributed to Abraham Lincoln, "If you look for the evil in men, you shall surely find it".

:yes:

Though I find that, often enough, people are just ignorant of the other options. Something along the lines of "I can't think of what else the reason would be so it must be this one." It's not helped by people that really are using "this one".

Truthseeker
06-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Pollyanna? Who said that in the movie?

One Bad Pig
06-24-2016, 08:47 AM
You may be conflating assumption with ascription and/or accusation. People accused of hate tend to be put on the defensive, which may be a desired goal. On the other hand, people ruled by their passions may well assume that others are as well.

Teallaura
06-28-2016, 05:05 AM
I'm sorry, Laura. Did you want this to be a serious thread?Yes, but I didn't have time to finish the OP. It's fine.

Teallaura
06-28-2016, 05:07 AM
Pollyanna? Who said that in the movie?Pollyanna, to the Reverend.

Teallaura
06-28-2016, 05:08 AM
:yes:

Though I find that, often enough, people are just ignorant of the other options. Something along the lines of "I can't think of what else the reason would be so it must be this one." It's not helped by people that really are using "this one".
Granted.

Teallaura
06-28-2016, 05:10 AM
You may be conflating assumption with ascription and/or accusation. People accused of hate tend to be put on the defensive, which may be a desired goal. On the other hand, people ruled by their passions may well assume that others are as well.
Granted, but the point I had wanted to make was that we (i.e. humans) are quick to assume hatred in our opposition these days. Liberals hate this; conservatives hate that. If you say something negative about Y you must hate them - that sort of thing pervades nowadays and it's both wrong and counterproductive.

Carrikature
06-29-2016, 11:18 PM
Granted, but the point I had wanted to make was that we (i.e. humans) are quick to assume hatred in our opposition these days. Liberals hate this; conservatives hate that. If you say something negative about Y you must hate them - that sort of thing pervades nowadays and it's both wrong and counterproductive.

Even if it's not assumption of hatred, the general increase in dismissive attitudes towards opposing viewpoints is extremely disturbing.