Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Internet Without Landline or Cable, Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Without Landline or Cable, Ideas?

After an hour or the phone with AT&T, I learned that I can get Satellite but not a landline and intetnet. There is no cable service. I just want Internet. Any ideas?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Move to civilization?

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Is satellite internet? I know DIRECT has satellite internet, and they are owned by AT&T.

Comment

Have you tried using your smartphone as a hotspot?
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I don't think so. The website said DSL.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, I came across this video:

. . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
              Is satellite internet? I know DIRECT has satellite internet, and they are owned by AT&T.
              Satellite internet has become ... um... quite restrictive. Even if they say "unlimited", there's usually a point at which they throttle you down to a crawl after a certain amount of bandwidth usage per month.

For example, EXEDE says...

"When you’re using your Priority Data, you’ll get our best 12 Mbps download speeds. If you don’t go over that allowance (and many of our customers don’t), you’ll remain in that best-speed zone. If, however, you use up all of your monthly Priority Data, your Liberty Pass speeds will still be fast enough to allow you to continue to use the internet, with better speeds during daytime hours."

Ask them to define "fast enough to allow you to continue to use the internet".... my eldest daughter got roped into a contract with this outfit, and after using the 10 Gigs allowed by her plan, it slows to a crawl in the daytime, and is almost unusable at night.

I used to use DirecWay (whoever they are now - HughesNet?) but the add-on charges were KILLER after a certain amount of usage.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A Co worker lived out in Newberry Springs (our version of the rural boondocks) and hated HughesNet. It was unreliable.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Both my parents and my in-laws use aircards. One uses AT&T, the other uses Verizon. It's basically a device that plugs into the USB on your computer. It lets you get internet like you would through your cellphone. I think there are data plans associated with it. It's decent enough to skype over, though.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                    Both my parents and my in-laws use aircards. One uses AT&T, the other uses Verizon. It's basically a device that plugs into the USB on your computer. It lets you get internet like you would through your cellphone. I think there are data plans associated with it. It's decent enough to skype over, though.
                    Yes, obviously you have to be in decent range of a cell tower, but I was doing that way back in the PCMCIA days. Now, yes, it's USB or even a "hot spot" from your cell phone carrier.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yes, obviously you have to be in decent range of a cell tower, but I was doing that way back in the PCMCIA days. Now, yes, it's USB or even a "hot spot" from your cell phone carrier.
                      Or just using your smartphone as a hotspot. And, yes (to Carrikature), you do need a relatively expensive data plan.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        Well, I came across this video:

that is just using your phone as a hotspot. it is not free. you are still using data on your phone and paying for it.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          Or just using your smartphone as a hotspot. And, yes (to Carrikature), you do need a relatively expensive data plan.
                          Yeah, cause I have AT&T, and included is instructions on how to set up "tethering" of your laptop to your cell phone. The last step of the instructions explain that "tethering is not included in your data plan".

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Yeah, cause I have AT&T, and included is instructions on how to set up "tethering" of your laptop to your cell phone. The last step of the instructions explain that "tethering is not included in your data plan".
                            What kind of backward third world country do you guys live in?

I want to tether my phone to my laptop, I hit the Mobile Hotspot. My phone contract has a 10GB cap, and it's not that expensive.....
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              What kind of backward third world country do you guys live in?

I want to tether my phone to my laptop, I hit the Mobile Hotspot. My phone contract has a 10GB cap, and it's not that expensive.....
                              We live in a country where Verizon charges whatever they want because they have had the best network by a longshot. Personally, I have a grandfathered data plan that is unlimited data for $50/month (and my work pays for that). It used to be $30/month until about a year ago, but it is still unlimited data. In addition to the data plan, Verizon also charges $30/month to use your phone as a hotspot. But it is pro-rated so if I only need to do so for a day, it's only $1.

Comment