PDA

View Full Version : Internet Without Landline or Cable, Ideas?

Teallaura
06-25-2016, 11:51 AM
After an hour or the phone with AT&T, I learned that I can get Satellite but not a landline and intetnet. There is no cable service. I just want Internet. Any ideas?

One Bad Pig
06-25-2016, 01:15 PM
Move to civilization?

:outtie:

Sea of red
06-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Is satellite internet? I know DIRECT has satellite internet, and they are owned by AT&T.

robrecht
06-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Have you tried using your smartphone as a hotspot?

Teallaura
06-25-2016, 04:07 PM
I don't think so. The website said DSL.

06-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Well, I came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VEgfcDxc7A

Cow Poke
06-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Is satellite internet? I know DIRECT has satellite internet, and they are owned by AT&T.

Satellite internet has become ... um... quite restrictive. Even if they say "unlimited", there's usually a point at which they throttle you down to a crawl after a certain amount of bandwidth usage per month.

For example, EXEDE (http://www.exede.com/liberty/) says...

"When youíre using your Priority Data, youíll get our best 12 Mbps download speeds. If you donít go over that allowance (and many of our customers donít), youíll remain in that best-speed zone. If, however, you use up all of your monthly Priority Data, your Liberty Pass speeds will still be fast enough to allow you to continue to use the internet, with better speeds during daytime hours."

Ask them to define "fast enough to allow you to continue to use the internet".... my eldest daughter got roped into a contract with this outfit, and after using the 10 Gigs allowed by her plan, it slows to a crawl in the daytime, and is almost unusable at night.

I used to use DirecWay (whoever they are now - HughesNet? (http://www.hughesnet.com/)) but the add-on charges were KILLER after a certain amount of usage.

DesertBerean
06-25-2016, 07:56 PM
A Co worker lived out in Newberry Springs (our version of the rural boondocks) and hated HughesNet. It was unreliable.

Carrikature
06-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Both my parents and my in-laws use aircards. One uses AT&T, the other uses Verizon. It's basically a device that plugs into the USB on your computer. It lets you get internet like you would through your cellphone. I think there are data plans associated with it. It's decent enough to skype over, though.

Cow Poke
06-26-2016, 04:33 AM
Both my parents and my in-laws use aircards. One uses AT&T, the other uses Verizon. It's basically a device that plugs into the USB on your computer. It lets you get internet like you would through your cellphone. I think there are data plans associated with it. It's decent enough to skype over, though.

Yes, obviously you have to be in decent range of a cell tower, but I was doing that way back in the PCMCIA days. Now, yes, it's USB or even a "hot spot" from your cell phone carrier.

robrecht
06-26-2016, 06:05 AM
Yes, obviously you have to be in decent range of a cell tower, but I was doing that way back in the PCMCIA days. Now, yes, it's USB or even a "hot spot" from your cell phone carrier.Or just using your smartphone as a hotspot. And, yes (to Carrikature), you do need a relatively expensive data plan.

Sparko
06-26-2016, 08:34 AM
Well, I came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VEgfcDxc7Athat is just using your phone as a hotspot. it is not free. you are still using data on your phone and paying for it.

Cow Poke
06-26-2016, 02:55 PM
Or just using your smartphone as a hotspot. And, yes (to Carrikature), you do need a relatively expensive data plan.

Yeah, cause I have AT&T, and included is instructions on how to set up "tethering" of your laptop to your cell phone. The last step of the instructions explain that "tethering is not included in your data plan". :smile:

Raphael
06-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Or just using your smartphone as a hotspot. And, yes (to Carrikature), you do need a relatively expensive data plan.

Yeah, cause I have AT&T, and included is instructions on how to set up "tethering" of your laptop to your cell phone. The last step of the instructions explain that "tethering is not included in your data plan". :smile:

What kind of backward third world country do you guys live in?

I want to tether my phone to my laptop, I hit the Mobile Hotspot. My phone contract has a 10GB cap, and it's not that expensive.....

robrecht
06-26-2016, 03:42 PM

I want to tether my phone to my laptop, I hit the Mobile Hotspot. My phone contract has a 10GB cap, and it's not that expensive.....We live in a country where Verizon charges whatever they want because they have had the best network by a longshot. Personally, I have a grandfathered data plan that is unlimited data for $50/month (and my work pays for that). It used to be $30/month until about a year ago, but it is still unlimited data. In addition to the data plan, Verizon also charges $30/month to use your phone as a hotspot. But it is pro-rated so if I only need to do so for a day, it's only $1.

Cow Poke
06-26-2016, 05:39 PM

:sad::yes::sad:

06-26-2016, 07:34 PM
that is just using your phone as a hotspot. it is not free. you are still using data on your phone and paying for it.No. Not what I understood. You are using a dial up free internet connection. Go to the link mentioned in the video. If you have unlimited talk then you can have unlimited dial up free internet.

http://pookyfish.tk/Free-Internet.html

[My cell phone talk is not unlimited. And where I rent I have free wifi access to a paid service provided by the owner where I rent.]

Chrawnus
06-26-2016, 08:37 PM

I want to tether my phone to my laptop, I hit the Mobile Hotspot. My phone contract has a 10GB cap, and it's not that expensive.....

I could get unlimited 150 Mbit/s 4G for 24.90Ä/month if I felt like it. :tongue:

Carrikature
06-26-2016, 09:05 PM
I don't know what the cost of it is. I doubt my parents would be doing it if it wasn't the cheapest option. I know both my parents and in-laws had to try more than one company until they found proper coverage.

Carrikature
06-26-2016, 09:06 PM

It's not the country, it's where you live in the country. As in, actually living in the country.

Raphael
06-26-2016, 10:32 PM
I'm just flabbergasted that they would prevent me from tethering.

If I am paying for the data it's up to me how I use it. (and I've been tethering to cellphones since my old Nokia 6110 with my old Compaq iPaq via the IR Port)

robrecht
06-27-2016, 02:09 AM

If I am paying for the data it's up to me how I use it. (and I've been tethering to cellphones since my old Nokia 6110 with my old Compaq iPaq via the IR Port)
Yeah, I too used to tether my PDA to my flip-phone, but it was 'not allowed' by Verizon at the time who disabled that feature of its phones. Hackers on the Internet would find work-arounds within days of any phone's release.

Sparko
06-27-2016, 05:23 AM
No. Not what I understood. You are using a dial up free internet connection. Go to the link mentioned in the video. If you have unlimited talk then you can have unlimited dial up free internet.

http://pookyfish.tk/Free-Internet.html

[My cell phone talk is not unlimited. And where I rent I have free wifi access to a paid service provided by the owner where I rent.]if it is dialup, you would need to call with a modem, not a cell phone. doesn't make sense. sounds fishy.

Cow Poke
06-27-2016, 06:02 AM

It's the classic "we want to be able to offer 'unlimited data' for a set price, but we want to limit how you use it". :yes:

Teallaura
06-27-2016, 06:42 AM
Have you tried using your smartphone as a hotspot?Yes, even in Prattville, I couldn't get it to work.

Teallaura
06-27-2016, 06:44 AM
Satellite internet has become ... um... quite restrictive. Even if they say "unlimited", there's usually a point at which they throttle you down to a crawl after a certain amount of bandwidth usage per month.

For example, EXEDE (http://www.exede.com/liberty/) says...

"When youíre using your Priority Data, youíll get our best 12 Mbps download speeds. If you donít go over that allowance (and many of our customers donít), youíll remain in that best-speed zone. If, however, you use up all of your monthly Priority Data, your Liberty Pass speeds will still be fast enough to allow you to continue to use the internet, with better speeds during daytime hours."

Ask them to define "fast enough to allow you to continue to use the internet".... my eldest daughter got roped into a contract with this outfit, and after using the 10 Gigs allowed by her plan, it slows to a crawl in the daytime, and is almost unusable at night.

I used to use DirecWay (whoever they are now - HughesNet? (http://www.hughesnet.com/)) but the add-on charges were KILLER after a certain amount of usage.
Doesn't seem to exist...

<checking link>

Teallaura
06-27-2016, 06:55 AM
I like this one. Is it like a cell where you buy the device on a plan?

EDIT: Anyone with a good link for Verizon, it would be appreciated...

Cow Poke
06-27-2016, 07:35 AM

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/verizon-wireless-aircard-56287.html

Carrikature
06-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Basically. Unlike a cell, you're not paying for talk or text. Verizon has data only plans (http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/data-only-plan/). The device is called a MiFi Jetpack (https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/verizon/), apparently. I think my parents use the 6620L.

I can get more information about it when I'm down there next week. This is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. :smile:

Sparko
06-27-2016, 07:49 AM
Basically. Unlike a cell, you're not paying for talk or text. Verizon has data only plans (http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/data-only-plan/). The device is called a MiFi Jetpack (https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/verizon/), apparently. I think my parents use the 6620L.

I can get more information about it when I'm down there next week. This is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. :smile:we have one of them at work. Basically it connects to the cellular network, and provides a local wifi hotspot that you can connect to with up to 8 or so devices. I dont know how expensive the data plan is since work pays for it, but I have used it and it seems pretty fast.

Cow Poke
06-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Yeah, the Mi-Fi is basically a small hot spot device - as C mentioned, for Data only. It often allows up to 5 clients (laptops, phones, ipads, etc) to log in. They are usually just a small device that plugs into AC by means of a small transformer, and broadcast an SSID just like any wireless router.

Often these include a certain amount of data, with a "pay per meg" after that, or a "throttling down" in download speed after a certain threshhold.

Cow Poke
06-27-2016, 07:52 AM
we have one of them at work. Basically it connects to the cellular network, and provides a local wifi hotspot that you can connect to with up to 8 or so devices. I dont know how expensive the data plan is since work pays for it, but I have used it and it seems pretty fast.

Yup, but, again - it depends on how close a tower is. I have a friend who uses one of these when they travel, and sometimes they get ZERO signal. Who would have thought that, when we go "camping out", we'd look for a spot in close proximity to a cell phone tower? :smile:

Sparko
06-27-2016, 07:55 AM
how can there be a place without cable TV? My grandparents had cableTV in the middle of Appalachia in the 1970's for cryin' out loud. Is Alabama a third world country or something? did you move into the middle of a swamp?

Carrikature
06-27-2016, 08:23 AM
how can there be a place without cable TV? My grandparents had cableTV in the middle of Appalachia in the 1970's for cryin' out loud. Is Alabama a third world country or something? did you move into the middle of a swamp?

There are a number of houses in the area I live without cable, including mine. For whatever reason, the company elected not to run lines up and over the hills. I know of a few people that paid to have it brought to their house, but most of us are out of luck. I get my internet over the landline.

Cow Poke
06-27-2016, 08:27 AM
There are a number of houses in the area I live without cable, including mine. For whatever reason, the company elected not to run lines up and over the hills. I know of a few people that paid to have it brought to their house, but most of us are out of luck. I get my internet over the landline.

Yeah, the neighborhood (if you can call it that) where I just moved from had no cable TV. There were two few houses on our "street" to justify the expense, apparently, and we were too far out "in the woods".

Sparko
06-27-2016, 08:32 AM
There are a number of houses in the area I live without cable, including mine. For whatever reason, the company elected not to run lines up and over the hills. I know of a few people that paid to have it brought to their house, but most of us are out of luck. I get my internet over the landline.Yeah but is Oregon even really part of civilization, though? I heard they might get paved roads within the next 20 years if things go well.

Carrikature
06-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Yeah but is Oregon even really part of civilization, though? I heard they might get paved roads within the next 20 years if things go well.

I have pavement all the way up to my house. :smug:

We have an interstate and everything!

Cow Poke
06-27-2016, 10:13 AM
I have pavement all the way up to my house. :smug:

We have an interstate and everything!

But, how many sunny days a year do you get?

Sparko
06-27-2016, 11:01 AM
i have pavement all the way up to my house. :smug:

We have an interstate and everything!!!! Ecree !!

Carrikature
06-27-2016, 02:41 PM
But, how many sunny days a year do you get?

Which side of the house?

Cow Poke
06-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Which side of the house?

The outside.

Teallaura
06-28-2016, 05:21 AM
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/verizon-wireless-aircard-56287.html
:hug: Thanks!

Teallaura
06-29-2016, 05:38 AM
So, which do you guys think is the best option? I want internet this weekend. I can buy a new phone or a mifi thing - neither high end - but not both.

Anyone know how I can find out how good the cell service is in my area for a given company? I have tracfone which works fine for phone in the house. I have Virgin Mobile 3G which doesn't work well for either at home - all though it does fine down the street. I'm thinking I need a new carrier either way.

Cow Poke
06-29-2016, 06:22 AM
So, which do you guys think is the best option? I want internet this weekend. I can buy a new phone or a mifi thing - neither high end - but not both.

Anyone know how I can find out how good the cell service is in my area for a given company? I have tracfone which works fine for phone in the house. I have Virgin Mobile 3G which doesn't work well for either at home - all though it does fine down the street. I'm thinking I need a new carrier either way.

Do you have a Radio Shack? Often, they'll handle multiple carriers, and won't want you mad at them if you get a weak signal, so they'll probably recommend the best signal for your area - they're local.

Cow Poke
06-29-2016, 06:23 AM
By the way, I think Walmart offers a hot spot, too.... not sure of the coverage or pricing in your area.

And if you can talk to neighbors - they may have gone through the "I tried Verizon, but the signal out here is terrible..." routine.

Sparko
06-29-2016, 06:28 AM
By the way, I think Walmart offers a hot spot, too.... not sure of the coverage or pricing in your area.

And if you can talk to neighbors - they may have gone through the "I tried Verizon, but the signal out here is terrible..." routine.her neighbors are probably alligators and copperheads.

Teallaura
06-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Do you have a Radio Shack? Often, they'll handle multiple carriers, and won't want you mad at them if you get a weak signal, so they'll probably recommend the best signal for your area - they're local.
Not any more - the nearest is 45 minutes away.

Teallaura
06-29-2016, 06:39 AM
her neighbors are probably alligators and copperheads.
No, those are your kinfolk. I moved away from them, remember?

Cow Poke
06-29-2016, 06:39 AM
Not any more - the nearest is 45 minutes away.

Ah, not much help then.

Teallaura
06-29-2016, 06:40 AM

And if you can talk to neighbors - they may have gone through the "I tried Verizon, but the signal out here is terrible..." routine.
Walmart does - I'm thinking of getting one. But if it doesn't work I'm stuck for the weekend. :sigh:

Teallaura
06-29-2016, 06:41 AM
Ah, not much help then.
No. I miss Ratshack. :sigh: Seriously, they had the best support team anywhere.

Carrikature
06-29-2016, 11:07 PM
The outside.

I have a clearing in my backyard that gets a lot of sun. The front yard doesn't get very much. I can be hot in the backyard and want something long-sleeved in the front. Thank you, forest.

Carrikature
06-29-2016, 11:11 PM

If your cell phone works well enough, go for the mifi.

You can try looking at the coverage maps, but those aren't always super accurate. From my parents's and in-laws' experience, you could end up trying more than one to find suitable coverage. Ask the carrier about satisfaction or coverage guarantees. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

If you have friends using different carriers, ask them to come by and check their coverage. I think you can try pay-as-you-go phones, too, but that's additional cost.

Teallaura
06-30-2016, 07:17 AM
I talked to the guy at Wal-Mart. He is familiar with the area and wasn't hopeful. But he did think Verizon is the best bet. They have one in stock.

But I messed up my billpay so I can't edit the payment I planned to so I can't get it this week.

Sigh... :sigh: