Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Something we can all agree on? David Duke running for Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something we can all agree on? David Duke running for Senate

Former KKK leader David Duke is entering the political world again, attempting to run for Senate as a Republican in Louisiana. He says he feels the time is right because Donald Trump is saying some of the same things he's been saying for years.

The state Republican Party and the national Republican Party immediately denounced him. I'm hoping that not supporting this guy is at the very least something we can all agree on. Since there are 24 people in the primary, and Duke does have name recognition that the others don't, I don't think he should be underestimated (that, and he actually has won a state-level election before and nearly was elected to Congress another time).

http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...e91324837.html

Another thing: Unless the voters actually pick him, I don't think it's fair to smear the Republicans based on him running. Fred Phelps ran for office in my home state as a Democrat for years (I think to troll people), and that wouldn't have been a fair criticism of the Democrats either.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-23-2016, 12:03 AM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Former KKK leader David Duke is entering the political world again, attempting to run for Senate as a Republican in Louisiana. He says he feels the time is right because Donald Trump is saying some of the same things he's been saying for years.

The state Republican Party and the national Republican Party immediately denounced him. I'm hoping that not supporting this guy is at the very least something we can all agree on. Since there are 24 people in the primary, and Duke does have name recognition that the others don't, I don't think he should be underestimated (that, and he actually has won a state-level election before and nearly was elected to Congress another time).

Another thing: Unless the voters actually pick him, I don't think it's fair to smear the Republicans based on him running. Fred Phelps ran for office in my home state as a Democrat for years (I think to troll people), and that wouldn't have been a fair criticism of the Democrats either.
    I wonder why Duke is a republican?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      I don't know, why was Fred Phelps a Democrat?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I don't know, why was Fred Phelps a Democrat?
        Like you said, to Troll. Same can't be said of Duke. Xenophobia is what drove votes to trump. And the brexit, too, fwiw

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
          Like you said, to Troll. Same can't be said of Duke. Xenophobia is what drove votes to trump. And the brexit, too, fwiw
          My point mainly is to move beyond the namecalling. Most people here probably don't know I am a registered Democrat. I see my share of negative characterizations of Democrats here and am trying to set a better precedent by refusing to do the same back to Republicans.

Comment

My point mainly is to move beyond the namecalling. Most people here probably don't know I am a registered Democrat. I see my share of negative characterizations of Democrats here and am trying to set a better precedent by refusing to do the same back to Republicans.
            Thats putting it a bit mildly, KG.

Comment

It is his right to run, after all Democratic Senator Robert Byrd was an Exalted Cyclops in the KKK. And the longest serving member of Congress, and loved by the Democratic party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                He ran as democrat once. Probably dems already have too many ex-KKK so he's trying republican this time!!
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  It is his right to run, after all Democratic Senator Robert Byrd was an Exalted Cyclops in the KKK. And the longest serving member of Congress, and loved by the Democratic party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd
                  Robert Byrd left and denounced the KKK in 1952, and changed rejecting the problematic racist views of Duke later in his life. In contrast David Duke remains a believing American white nationalist, antisemitic conspiracy theorist, and Holocaust denier.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Robert Byrd left and denounced the KKK in 1952, and changed rejecting the problematic racist views of Duke later in his life. In contrast David Duke remains a believing American white nationalist, antisemitic conspiracy theorist, and Holocaust denier.
                    I'm quite certain that I recall Byrd getting caught using racist language within 5 years of his death, but he was mostly given a pass (unlike Trent Lott, who was forced to step down earler because he made an off-the-cuff statement that could be interpreted as racist).
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I'm quite certain that I recall Byrd getting caught using racist language within 5 years of his death, but he was mostly given a pass (unlike Trent Lott, who was forced to step down earler because he made an off-the-cuff statement that could be interpreted as racist).
                      Exactly right!
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Oh please... And how do you know that Duke still holds those positions? And Byrd voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Comment

Byrd's "reformation" was apparently political, not because he had a change of heart.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wrote something on Byrd's history awhile back:

Byrd was vehemently opposed to both the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act decades later and yet in spite of all this the Democrats kept making him Senate Majority Leader and then President pro tempore (third in the line of succession to the presidency, after the Vice President and the Speaker of the House) just a couple of months after his multiple use of the n-word on national TV.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Oh please... And how do you know that Duke still holds those positions? And Byrd voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
                              More than voted against it (and Voting Rights Act as well), he engaged in a 14 hour long filibuster in an attempt to stop it. If it weren't for overwhelming Republican support for these measures they would not have passed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment