Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

cat hangouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat hangouts

What do you all recommend for cat trees or other similar hang outs for cats?

I'm not quite ready ... but i was wondering if there was a design that allowed a cat to be protected from surprise visits by the other cat(s).

One thing I noticed at the store was that the cat trees pretty much had hard surfaces covered with carpet. Two problems happen here. There is not a good way to clean carpet like that and also my cats like pillows, not planks.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-28-2016, 05:41 PM.

We had a cat tree once.

The cats preferred cardboard boxes.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

There you go
      Make a cat tree out of cardboard boxes

And put pillows in them

Comment

Maybe I will have to experiment. My younger cat does like her boxes.

I sort of thought I could build something.

Comment

We used to have an old upright piano. Mr. mossy took a 2x4 and covered it with an old carpet, and leaned it up against the piano. The cats loved it, and it gave them a place high to go as well. They sharpened their claws at the base and climbed it up and the angle was such they could almost run down it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My cat likes to hang out in the high grass by the fallen tree limb, on the roof of my Tracker, and occasionally on the roof of the carport. But... that's probably not what you have in mind.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Ok, seriously, in the winter, my boy likes cardboard boxes, recliner seats, the top of the back of the loveseat, the shower (!), the top of the buffet by the dining room window, and the top of the cabinet by the living room window.

For the cardboard boxes, try cutting a few small windows in the sides and top. Most cats like to reach out at things dangled by the holes.

For the buffet and cabinet perches, I made "nests" from shallow boxes lined with soft cloths -- old towels, t-shirts, etc.

For the loveseat, I put blankets on top for extra comfy padding. I also had to move it closer to the wall, because a couple of times he almost fell off when he rolled over in his sleep.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                We used to have an old upright piano. Mr. mossy took a 2x4 and covered it with an old carpet, and leaned it up against the piano. The cats loved it, and it gave them a place high to go as well. They sharpened their claws at the base and climbed it up and the angle was such they could almost run down it.
                I thought at first you would go on to say that Mr. mossy covered the piano in carpet -- possibly as an odd tribute to Zez Confrey.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  I thought at first you would go on to say that Mr. mossy covered the piano in carpet -- possibly as an odd tribute to Zez Confrey.
                  He wasn't that ambitious.

Comment

ab5e276dff3210c06e404967f2f7397c.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      There you go
                      Make a cat tree out of cardboard boxes

And put pillows in them
                      And put them out in the barn.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        And put them out in the barn.
                        With poor Jake??

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17444[/ATTACH]
                          No Sparko. That is my hangout -- not for the cats.

One of my interests is having a safe spot for my older scaredy cat. I thought of having a reverse trap door -- once that cat is inside the cubby hole the other can't get in.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                            With poor Jake??
                            Jake has his own entrance to the house. He can come and go as he pleases.

door 1.jpgdoor 2.jpgdoor 3.jpgdoor 4.jpg
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wish I could have a cat door for my bedroom so I can keep the door closed at night. The litter box is in the bathroom connected to the bedroom and he won't let it go anywhere else.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X