Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do Red States Take More Aid From the Government than Blue States?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Red States Take More Aid From the Government than Blue States?

Mitt Romney received a lot of blowback for his "47 percent" comment. He was claiming that 47% of Americans are on welfare. What he meant, apparently, was that 47% of Americans were paying no federal income tax.

Actually, I think, subsequently, it was established that it was a slightly higher number - 49% - that were receiving some form of government aid.

A study by Indiana University in 2010 had said that Red States received 21.2% of their income from government transfers, while Blue States received 17.1%. That seems to be a slam dunk - Red States take more government assistance.

HOWEVER, States aren't people. If larger numbers of welfare recipients who are Democrats receive welfare while living in Red States, that would obviously skew the numbers.

According to a Maxwell Poll, that's what's happening....

welfare.gif

From that cite...

Share of Recipients of each program that self-identified as supporters of Republican party in 2004-2007 Maxwell Poll:

Gov. Subsidized Housing 12%
    Medicaid: 16%
    Food Stamps: 20%
    Unemployment Compensation: 21%
    Welfare or public assistance: 22%
    Disability benefits from government 25%
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

These particular numbers aside - It's worth noting that Paul Ryan later admitted that he was wrong when he took Romney's comments further and started talking about "makers and takers" (I think he was confronted by the case of a disabled veteran's family who was requiring government aid to get through). That's one reason I really respect him.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      These particular numbers aside - It's worth noting that Paul Ryan later admitted that he was wrong when he took Romney's comments further and started talking about "makers and takers" (I think he was confronted by the case of a disabled veteran's family who was requiring government aid to get through). That's one reason I really respect him.
      Interesting.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any respect I had for Paul Ryan disappeared when he became another rubber stamp Speaker for Obama's agenda.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

They shouldn't be counting Unemployment. That is basically insurance that everyone pays into and is short term. You can't get it unless you actually worked and paid into it. Same reason Social Security retirement isn't on the list.

Comment