PDA

View Full Version : Shingles

DesertBerean
08-11-2016, 10:18 AM
The first time I heard of shingles was when a former co worker died from it.

Now, this co worker had traveled to many places on a classified mission, so it's possible there are other conditions he had been exposed to that we won't know about.

Now it's showing up with increasing frequency here in my town. Two of my friends have been affected.

So, even though I don't know if I ever had chicken pox, I'm going to see about that vaccine for shingles.

mikewhitney
08-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Is that a strain of the virus that is new around here?

Spartacus
08-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Is that a strain of the virus that is new around here?

When you get chicken pox, your immune system can beat most of it, but sometimes there will still be a pocket of the virus hiding in some nerve ending or other. It may eventually break out of that little pocket, leading to the re-emergence of the chicken pox rash.

I had it the summer after my second year of college. It was diagnosed early, so I was immediately put on pills that made it a fairly painless experience, but I still had a rather ugly rash along one of my ribs for a couple of weeks.

Cow Poke
08-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Yeah, my youngest daughter, a Hospice Nurse, was just diagnosed with it on her back. She's young - just 36, but she's taking some kind of medicine for it, and it's under control. Red splotchy spots on her back that can flame up to be extremely painful.

rogue06
08-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Yeah, my youngest daughter, a Hospice Nurse, was just diagnosed with it on her back. She's young - just 36, but she's taking some kind of medicine for it, and it's under control. Red splotchy spots on her back that can flame up to be extremely painful.
As an aside, thank God for hospice nurses.

Cow Poke
08-11-2016, 11:40 AM
As an aside, thank God for hospice nurses.

Last month she was assigned a 4 year old little girl. :sad: She got to visit her exactly 3 times before the little girl passed.

DesertBerean
08-11-2016, 12:23 PM
I don't know if I ever had the chicken pox. But I won't take any chance.

DesertBerean
08-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Last month she was assigned a 4 year old little girl. :sad: She got to visit her exactly 3 times before the little girl passed.
:frown:

DesertBerean
08-11-2016, 12:26 PM
When you get chicken pox, your immune system can beat most of it, but sometimes there will still be a pocket of the virus hiding in some nerve ending or other. It may eventually break out of that little pocket, leading to the re-emergence of the chicken pox rash.

I had it the summer after my second year of college. It was diagnosed early, so I was immediately put on pills that made it a fairly painless experience, but I still had a rather ugly rash along one of my ribs for a couple of weeks. The rib area seem to be a very common area for breakouts.

rogue06
08-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Had them as well as measles and mumps all in the space of a month or two. Fortunately, I was too young to remember much about it.

Cow Poke
08-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Had them as well as measles and mumps all in the space of a month or two. Fortunately, I was too young to remember much about it.

[official radio voice] If you've ever had chicken pox, the shingles virus is inside you! [/official radio voice]

Jedidiah
08-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Both my wife and I had the vaccine. At the time it was claimed to cut your chances of ever getting shingles in half. That claim has dropped from 50% to 30% I believe. Still does not cause the problem.

Jedidiah
08-11-2016, 01:44 PM

For my wife the rash was itchy for a few days, but it was the severe nerve pain that got her down, not the rash.

thewriteranon
08-11-2016, 02:46 PM

If you haven't had chicken pox, you'll want the chicken pox vaccine, not the shingles one. Which is better really, because the shingles vaccine doesn't work very long and doesn't have a booster. It's only recommended for people over 50 or 60 depending on the doc you're talking to, and for good reason.

NorrinRadd
08-11-2016, 03:05 PM
[official radio voice] If you've ever had chicken pox, the shingles virus is inside you! [/official radio voice]

[official radio voice]One in three people will get shingles in their lifetime.[/official radio voice]

NorrinRadd
08-11-2016, 03:08 PM
The rib area seem to be a very common area for breakouts.

Mum had them along her belt line, and years later on her face. My dad had them on the back of his head and neck. A friend of mine got them on his face a year or two ago.

NorrinRadd
08-11-2016, 03:11 PM
The first time I heard of shingles was when a former co worker died from it.

Now, this co worker had traveled to many places on a classified mission, so it's possible there are other conditions he had been exposed to that we won't know about.

Now it's showing up with increasing frequency here in my town. Two of my friends have been affected.

So, even though I don't know if I ever had chicken pox, I'm going to see about that vaccine for shingles.

It sounds like you're worried about catching them. That can't happen. What you *can* catch from those people is chicken pox, especially (only?) if you never had them. Of course... If you do catch chicken pox... THEN there's a chance that shingles will develop, but not until years later.

NorrinRadd
08-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Both my wife and I had the vaccine. At the time it was claimed to cut your chances of ever getting shingles in half. That claim has dropped from 50% to 30% I believe. Still does not cause the problem.

If you haven't had chicken pox, you'll want the chicken pox vaccine, not the shingles one. Which is better really, because the shingles vaccine doesn't work very long and doesn't have a booster. It's only recommended for people over 50 or 60 depending on the doc you're talking to, and for good reason.

Kind of a bummer. My mom and dad had miserable experiences with shingles. My dad had post-herpetic neuralgia that never resolved, even after many years. I had quite a miserable case of chicken pox when I was about five years old, so I'm not eager to see how impressive a case of shingles I can develop.

NorrinRadd
08-11-2016, 03:16 PM

Mumps was fun. I was quite swollen, but not at all uncomfortable. For me, it was a medically-mandated vacation from school for several days.

Sparko
08-11-2016, 05:33 PM
i have debated getting the shingles vaccine.

Cow Poke
08-11-2016, 05:35 PM
i have debated getting the shingles vaccine.

Me too, but, as a Pastor, visiting lots of people in the hospital, and having seen some really bad cases of shingles, I decided to go for it. :shrug:

DesertBerean
08-11-2016, 07:13 PM
I don't recall getting it. My friends all say they remember theirs. I dunno. ..my dad was in the Army, and they made sure we were pincushions for all the shots. So it's possible I got the vaccine for it if it existed in the 60s. I'll have to check on that.

DesertBerean
08-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Chicken pox, I mean.

Spartacus
08-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Shingles is like the plot to so many video games I've played: an evil force that was locked away long ago has broken free and now threatens the world (or in this case, one's body) once again.

NorrinRadd
08-12-2016, 12:20 AM

I don't recall getting it. My friends all say they remember theirs. I dunno. ..my dad was in the Army, and they made sure we were pincushions for all the shots. So it's possible I got the vaccine for it if it existed in the 60s. I'll have to check on that.

If it was available, it wasn't one of the common ones administered, at least in the first half of the decade. I was born in 1960 and got chicken pox when I was about 5 or 6 years old.

Catholicity
08-12-2016, 12:38 AM
DB have your Chicken Pox Titers Drawn. That will tell you if you've ever had it. If not, get the Vaccine for both Chicken Pox and Shingles. Its Rare but being in contact with someone who has the shingles can give you chicken pox