Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lesbian Farmers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesbian Farmers?

The lack of lesbian farmers is an injustice that has plagued our nation since its founding. Way to go USDA!

USDA teams up with Iowa law school and Cyndi Lauper to celebrate lesbian farmers

The June 23 summit in California showcased various groups in agriculture that work to promote the LGBT presence in farming. One leader of a group called the Cultivating Change Foundation said it wants to “celebrate” LGBT heroes of agriculture.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/28505/

https://www.ascr.usda.gov/lgbt-rural...pride-campaign
    Last edited by seer; 08-17-2016, 06:02 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

You're really scraping the barrel with this nonsense, seer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
        You're really scraping the barrel with this nonsense, seer.
        It is an insane waste of tax money!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          It is an insane waste of tax money!
          Still scraping the barrel.

Especially since your first link says its unclear how much this costs taxpayers since there are multiple private partners for the event.
          Last edited by Jaecp; 08-17-2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I'd agree it is a waste of taxpayer money, but who knows how much was spent on it?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I'd agree it is a waste of taxpayer money, but who knows how much was spent on it?
              I think determining whether its a waste or not deserves more than just our hot takes. If it's a disadvantaged group receiving aid from the government as it relates to their business, and farming is one, then its not much different than other kinds of business investment with the idea being we have future gains from growth. Only real difference is that we're trying to help gay people become farmers or something and I can kind of understand why small town, rural operations haven't been super friendly to gay and lesbian people all in all

Comment

I think determining whether its a waste or not deserves more than just our hot takes. If it's a disadvantaged group receiving aid from the government as it relates to their business, and farming is one, then its not much different than other kinds of business investment with the idea being we have future gains from growth. Only real difference is that we're trying to help gay people become farmers or something and I can kind of understand why small town, rural operations haven't been super friendly to gay and lesbian people all in all
                It's nothing to do with gay or lesbian people; I just have to question whether self congratulatory conferences really do much of anything at all.

Comment

Still scraping the barrel.

Especially since your first link says its unclear how much this costs taxpayers since there are multiple private partners for the event.
                  The USDA is hosting the summit - that will cost tax money - and why is the USDA even involved in this?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    It's nothing to do with gay or lesbian people; I just have to question whether self congratulatory conferences really do much of anything at all.
                    That's not the vibe I'm getting from the articles,

The press release says that participants will learn about “programs and services that exist to protect, promote, and strengthen LGBT members of rural communities. Issues related to housing, education, healthcare, youth empowerment, and more will be discussed.”
                    So while there is always some ra ra-ing at these things, it looks like the goal is to get people who are or want to be farmers plugged into the USDA ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      The USDA is hosting the summit - that will cost tax money - and why is the USDA even involved in this?
                      Who knows? I think there's a GK Chesterson quote that might be appropriate here.

Comment

So while there is always some ra ra-ing at these things, it looks like the goal is to get people who are or want to be farmers plugged into the USDA ecosystem.
                        It is all rather selective, why focus on lesbians, why not midgets or hunchbacks? I'm sure transgender hillbillies feel left out. This is purely a political move and has nothing to do with needs.

Comment