Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What Are Some Life Changing Items/Products that Just Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are Some Life Changing Items/Products that Just Work?

So recent threads about how awesome Lazarus Form Recovery is got me thinking, what are some other products that you love, and that just work for you?

So I'm going to jump right into the deep end and get personal...I'm getting older, and as I get older my body seems to need help in areas that should have been addressed years before, but are only complaining now. For years I suffered with what I consider, pretty severe hemorrhoids. Pretty common issue with guys and some gals I know. Diet had as much to do with it as anything else, but I'd get occasional bouts where I'd be in some intense pain, and that would sometimes keep me from going to work even. I watched a documentary/reality show on China and another on Egypt and they were talking how squatting was the natural way to go, and I thought that was interesting, but thought nothing of it. Then I caught something on Shark Tank called the Squatty Potty. Basically it emulates squatting by bringing your knees higher off the floor. So I figured I'd get a cheap knock off one on Amazon (could have just used a flower box or something), and lo and behold...it worked. After about a week of regular use I went from terrible bouts to not a single bout in probably a year and a half or maybe longer. Weird, and really stupid to say, but it was a life changer. Hopefully my embarrassing story helps someone else out there.

So, now that I've broken the ice, anyone else got some cool products they thought were life changers?

Oh, and here's a hilarious ad for it:

Toilet paper. and corks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Toilet paper. and corks.
      Hate to imagine what you were using before toilet paper. Although I have been thinking of installing a bidet.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Hate to imagine what you were using before toilet paper. Although I have been thinking of installing a bidet.
        Maps. And the cork is all because of that durn hook.

016.JPG

Comment

I did design work for a call center one time. One of the issues the architects had to consider was toilet seats. Apparently, a lot of immigrants worked at the call center, and they tended to stand on the seat and squat. The call center spent a lot of money replacing toilet seats.

I've heard that people who've spent a lot of time in Afghanistan really hate squatty potties because it reminds them too much of when they were deployed.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Mine was Lasik - Laser Vision Correction.

I wore glasses since I was about 4 or 5 years old. Probably needed them before that, but didn't really 'need' them til school. So, I wore them for about 50 years - who knows how much money I paid on various renditions of "new glasses", prescription sunglasses, etc.

One day, about 8 or 9 years ago, I was playing with my grandchildren. My granddaughter came running over to me, and I bent over to catch her and pick her up at the same time she jumped up into my arms, crashing her little head into the bridge of my nose, crushing the glasses (and those little nose pads) into my nose. Not only did it really hurt, but blood spurted everywhere. Not just from a "bloody nose", but from where those nose pads cut into my skin.

I decided right then and there I wanted to get rid of glasses for good. This is interesting, cause I'm a REAL SISSY when it comes to my eyes. I can't even think of the possibility of putting contacts in, so that wasn't an option.

My wife was quite surprised when I told her I was going to have Lasik - where they slice your cornea open with a razor, then burn material out with a laser until they get the correct curvature, the fold the flap of cornea back over the newly shaped eyeball.

I told her I would just psyche myself up for it, and they actually give you a "don't care" pill, and they do it while you're "awake". It actually went quite well, and I remember being groggy, and laying back on a table while they told me to stare at a red dot and "watch the lightening". The sensors in the laser, of course, track your eye movement, and won't fire unless your eye is properly positioned.

After about 3 days of continually putting in eye drops every 15 minutes, and some ointment in my eyes at night for 3 nights, it was like a miraculous healing.

I woke up, could see the alarm clock, could see far and near (left eye is for distance, right eye is for close proximity, but you don't even think about it), and the best part was SWIMMING!!!! I could see underwater when I swim, without having to worry about glasses.

Still, some 8 or 9 years later, as I step into the shower, I often find myself reaching up to take my glasses off. I'm not wearing any! Same with blowing my nose - I slide the tissue up along my nose so it goes under my glasses -- oh yeah, I'm not wearing any!

The ONLY time it's inconvenient is like when I'm installing a ceiling fan or something, and looking up and I get dust in my eyes, and remember --- oh yeah, I'm not wearing glasses.

But, truly, this is in SO MANY WAYS, "life changing".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Mine was Lasik - Laser Vision Correction.

I wore glasses since I was about 4 or 5 years old. Probably needed them before that, but didn't really 'need' them til school. So, I wore them for about 50 years - who knows how much money I paid on various renditions of "new glasses", prescription sunglasses, etc.

One day, about 8 or 9 years ago, I was playing with my grandchildren. My granddaughter came running over to me, and I bent over to catch her and pick her up at the same time she jumped up into my arms, crashing her little head into the bridge of my nose, crushing the glasses (and those little nose pads) into my nose. Not only did it really hurt, but blood spurted everywhere. Not just from a "bloody nose", but from where those nose pads cut into my skin.

I decided right then and there I wanted to get rid of glasses for good. This is interesting, cause I'm a REAL SISSY when it comes to my eyes. I can't even think of the possibility of putting contacts in, so that wasn't an option.

My wife was quite surprised when I told her I was going to have Lasik - where they slice your cornea open with a razor, then burn material out with a laser until they get the correct curvature, the fold the flap of cornea back over the newly shaped eyeball.

I told her I would just psyche myself up for it, and they actually give you a "don't care" pill, and they do it while you're "awake". It actually went quite well, and I remember being groggy, and laying back on a table while they told me to stare at a red dot and "watch the lightening". The sensors in the laser, of course, track your eye movement, and won't fire unless your eye is properly positioned.

After about 3 days of continually putting in eye drops every 15 minutes, and some ointment in my eyes at night for 3 nights, it was like a miraculous healing.

I woke up, could see the alarm clock, could see far and near (left eye is for distance, right eye is for close proximity, but you don't even think about it), and the best part was SWIMMING!!!! I could see underwater when I swim, without having to worry about glasses.

Still, some 8 or 9 years later, as I step into the shower, I often find myself reaching up to take my glasses off. I'm not wearing any! Same with blowing my nose - I slide the tissue up along my nose so it goes under my glasses -- oh yeah, I'm not wearing any!

The ONLY time it's inconvenient is like when I'm installing a ceiling fan or something, and looking up and I get dust in my eyes, and remember --- oh yeah, I'm not wearing glasses.

But, truly, this is in SO MANY WAYS, "life changing".
                That's awesome. I had a girlfriend that wanted to get lasik so badly, but her optometrist wouldn't let her because her eye sight was continually getting worse over time, and he said that it wouldn't take for very long.

Comment

Computers.
                  I'm assuming (hoping) you build your own...?

Comment

That's awesome. I had a girlfriend that wanted to get lasik so badly, but her optometrist wouldn't let her because her eye sight was continually getting worse over time, and he said that it wouldn't take for very long.
                    The ONLY time I have trouble with my "mono vision" (one eye long distance, other eye short distance) is when I'm shooting. It takes a few seconds to figure out how to look at the target. But it's almost an advantage, cause my "close eye" looks at the 'sight picture' and my long distance eye focuses on the target... I just have to remember which is which.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My pocket knife. My glasses. Online school. Instant messaging.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm assuming (hoping) you build your own...?
                        usually. but computers changed my life (and probably everyone's) - Without them my entire life would have been different, including my work, my entertainment, my finances, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                          My pocket knife. My glasses. Online school. Instant messaging.
                          I found a cool little Swiss Army knife on the ground last year, and I found it soooo useful. Then I lost it. Hopefully someone else finds it and gets a lot of use out of it.

Comment

You guys brought up lasik.
                            My right eye has an astigmatism. As a kid I would bump into everythimg because my depth perception was broken. My stepdad would use this against me by playing baseball. I couldnt hit the ball. I couldnt see it untill it hit me. When I did get glasses it was a happy day.
                            sigpic

Comment

usually. but computers changed my life (and probably everyone's) - Without them my entire life would have been different, including my work, my entertainment, my finances, everything.
                              I hear ya.

Comment