PDA

View Full Version : Not religious; Want to understand those who are.

science4joe
09-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm not religious and never have been. But I'm interested in knowing why people who are, believe the things that they do. I'm hoping to learn and am willing to help you all understand me as well.

Cow Poke
09-16-2016, 11:03 AM
You'll forgive me, Joe, if I don't take you very seriously, assuming the tweets of the same name belong to you. :shrug:

Looks like you're a Christopher Hitchens fan, yes?

mikewhitney
09-16-2016, 01:27 PM
That user name also shows up as a contributor to a video on youtube with the name:
SE and the SSA: Perfectly Positioned (to Make a Difference)

Jedidiah
09-16-2016, 04:54 PM
Are you suggesting that atheists might be dishonest?:stunned:

Sparko
09-16-2016, 05:05 PM
why the suspicion? he says he is an atheist. he wants to discuss religion. that is what theologyweb is here for.

welcome to tweb!

Cow Poke
09-16-2016, 06:02 PM
why the suspicion? he says he is an atheist. he wants to discuss religion. that is what theologyweb is here for.

welcome to tweb!

I thought skepticism was a GOOD thing! :smile:

But, no, I don't think he's really "hoping to learn and am willing to help"...

Christianbookworm
09-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Aw... why not give the new kid the benefit of the doubt? If he proves otherwise...:grin:

Cow Poke
09-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Aw... why not give the new kid the benefit of the doubt? If he proves otherwise...:grin:

Feel free!

TheWall
09-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Hi.

science4joe
09-16-2016, 10:21 PM
I'm sure the tweets you saw were, in fact, mine, though I don't recall which you saw or why they make you think I'm trying to be dishonest. I really do want to talk with believers so that I can understand them better.

Would anyone like to start a respectful dialogue?

Thank you to those who've voiced a desire to give me the benefit of the doubt.

science4joe
09-16-2016, 10:32 PM
Yes, I like Christopher Hitchens. I like various authors. I'm a huge fan of science

Cow Poke
09-17-2016, 08:42 AM
I'm sure the tweets you saw were, in fact, mine, though I don't recall which you saw or why they make you think I'm trying to be dishonest.

"Dishonest" is a harsh way of saying it.... I have my doubts about your sincerity, but time will tell.

I really do want to talk with believers so that I can understand them better.

Have a great day.

Jedidiah
09-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Yes, I like Christopher Hitchens. I like various authors. I'm a huge fan of science

I am a big fan of science as well. The only trouble is when science fans misuse what they often call science, but is really scientism.

David Hayward
09-18-2016, 02:27 AM
I'm sure the tweets you saw were, in fact, mine, though I don't recall which you saw or why they make you think I'm trying to be dishonest. I really do want to talk with believers so that I can understand them better.

You're not by any chance this guy, are you?

http://www.allanturner.com/ALetterFromJoe.html

Just asking.

David Hayward
09-18-2016, 03:28 AM

Are you doing this right?

Step 1: Build rapport with your IL (https://streetepistemology.com/publications/street_epistemology_the_basics)

Build rapport with your interlocutor before getting deep into dialogue. Try to find something that you have in common. Taking the time to do this cuts through much of our natural, instinctive, anxiety about immediately engaging with a stranger.

"I like Christopher Hitchens"? Hmmm. Probably not.

David Hayward
09-20-2016, 09:47 AM
You're not by any chance this guy, are you?
http://www.allanturner.com/ALetterFromJoe.html
Just asking.

I note the absence of a denial from science4joe.

rogue06
09-20-2016, 10:17 AM
I thought skepticism was a GOOD thing! :smile:

But, no, I don't think he's really "hoping to learn and am willing to help"...
He still might learn in spite of himself

Jedidiah
09-20-2016, 12:36 PM
I don't think he likes us.

Cow Poke
09-20-2016, 01:22 PM
He still might learn in spite of himself

Reminds me of Cosby Cartoons on Saturday morning... "and if you're not careful, you may learn something before it's done".

Christianbookworm
09-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Reminds me of Cosby Cartoons on Saturday morning... "and if you're not careful, you may learn something before it's done".

He has to show back up first!

Sparko
09-21-2016, 05:24 AM
y'all scared him off.

Cow Poke
09-21-2016, 06:58 AM
y'all scared him off.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself next time.