Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Getting fit again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting fit again

The back story:
    My main form of exercise was mountain biking (and cycling to work most days) with the odd game of squash or paintball thrown in.
    When I injured my right arm (TFCC tear) that dropped off noticeably (as couldn't ride, or cycle etc.) and once I started with the surgeries to correct it, that ground to a halt.
    So I have about four years of minimal exercise. I am now cleared to cycle again.

I did walk the 10km race of the 2016 Hawke's Bay Marathon in May (1:36:32), but over the winter have not done much since. Since it is now spring I have started the long hard slog to becoming fit again (it's a lot harder in my mid 30's than it was when in my 20's)
    I also need to drop about 15kg (I want to get down to aleast 85kg, at the moment I'm varying between 96.5kg and 99.5kg). I'm planning on that being 5kg at a time thing though.

So to start with through MapMyFitness mine beloved and I have challenged my one brother and sister-in-law to who can do the most km's between the 8th October and 27th November. (so walking, jogging, running, cycling all included)
    To try achieve that I am walking/jogging in my lunch breaks. And on Tuesdays/Thursdays I am doing either cycling or jogging in the evening while my 10 year old cycles with me.

So far I've managed to survive the first week, and now am getting into the second week.

(I also have to do light weight training with my right arm to rebuild muscle after 4 years of not being able to use my arm)
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Well I may have done a wee bit too much yesterday judging from how stiff I'm feeling today.
      Went 4.8km jog/walk (jogged at least half of it)
      Went for a 10km cycle with my 10 year old (which included a bit of walking ... about 750m ... when she had a sense of humour failure after I nearly crashed inter her when I lost my balance after popping a wheelie. Walking in my cycle shoes is not fun as they have rigid soles).
      So will have a rest day today, and tomorrow be back into it.
      In the last 11 days I've done 38.4km (only 10 of that is cycling), so I am currently the top of the leader board in the challenge we're doing.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Squash is an odd game.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Squash is an odd game.
          But I'll see your squash and raise you curling.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I like curling!

Not fond of squash, though. It tastes funny.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              I like curling!

Do you like pumpkin pie?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've already heard those nasty rumors! It's not true! It's a conspiracy by the squash people! You're all in on it!!!!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  I like curling!

Try gem squash

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

An update.

So first of all a combination of overdoing it slightly and my dodgy old cheap running shoes being nasty to me I got shin splints. So I backed of the walking/jogging a bit (still went for rides with my eldest, but this time both of us on bikes).

I got some new trail running shoes (Asics) and at lunch today went on my first walk/jog in a little over a fortnight. no pain in my shins, and only a little achy in my calf muscles (which are still getting used to the fact of exercise).

My beloved and I have also started on the "Banting" diet. Which is a Low Carb High Fat ketogenic diet. Over the last three weeks I've lost 4 kgs.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                        The back story:
                        My main form of exercise was mountain biking (and cycling to work most days) with the odd game of squash or paintball thrown in.
                        When I injured my right arm (TFCC tear) that dropped off noticeably (as couldn't ride, or cycle etc.) and once I started with the surgeries to correct it, that ground to a halt.
                        So I have about four years of minimal exercise. I am now cleared to cycle again.

I did walk the 10km race of the 2016 Hawke's Bay Marathon in May (1:36:32), but over the winter have not done much since. Since it is now spring I have started the long hard slog to becoming fit again (it's a lot harder in my mid 30's than it was when in my 20's)
                        I also need to drop about 15kg (I want to get down to aleast 85kg, at the moment I'm varying between 96.5kg and 99.5kg). I'm planning on that being 5kg at a time thing though.

So to start with through MapMyFitness mine beloved and I have challenged my one brother and sister-in-law to who can do the most km's between the 8th October and 27th November. (so walking, jogging, running, cycling all included)
                        To try achieve that I am walking/jogging in my lunch breaks. And on Tuesdays/Thursdays I am doing either cycling or jogging in the evening while my 10 year old cycles with me.

So far I've managed to survive the first week, and now am getting into the second week.

(I also have to do light weight training with my right arm to rebuild muscle after 4 years of not being able to use my arm)
                        My advice is plan on more than one venue for an exercise program. I have biked, played tennis, hiked, and jogged, a year ago settled on a membership in a gym Planet Fitness for $10.00 a month. In the gym I can choose between a variety of exercise equipment and weight training equipment to stay fit. This has worked best for me.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X