PDA

View Full Version : Getting fit again

Raphael
10-17-2016, 06:32 PM
The back story:
My main form of exercise was mountain biking (and cycling to work most days) with the odd game of squash or paintball thrown in.
When I injured my right arm (TFCC tear) that dropped off noticeably (as couldn't ride, or cycle etc.) and once I started with the surgeries to correct it, that ground to a halt.
So I have about four years of minimal exercise. I am now cleared to cycle again.

I did walk the 10km race of the 2016 Hawke's Bay Marathon in May (1:36:32), but over the winter have not done much since. Since it is now spring I have started the long hard slog to becoming fit again (it's a lot harder in my mid 30's than it was when in my 20's)
I also need to drop about 15kg (I want to get down to aleast 85kg, at the moment I'm varying between 96.5kg and 99.5kg). I'm planning on that being 5kg at a time thing though.

So to start with through MapMyFitness mine beloved and I have challenged my one brother and sister-in-law to who can do the most km's between the 8th October and 27th November. (so walking, jogging, running, cycling all included)
To try achieve that I am walking/jogging in my lunch breaks. And on Tuesdays/Thursdays I am doing either cycling or jogging in the evening while my 10 year old cycles with me.

So far I've managed to survive the first week, and now am getting into the second week.

(I also have to do light weight training with my right arm to rebuild muscle after 4 years of not being able to use my arm)

Teallaura
10-17-2016, 06:51 PM
:thumb:

Raphael
10-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Well I may have done a wee bit too much yesterday judging from how stiff I'm feeling today.
Went 4.8km jog/walk (jogged at least half of it)
Went for a 10km cycle with my 10 year old (which included a bit of walking ... about 750m ... when she had a sense of humour failure after I nearly crashed inter her when I lost my balance after popping a wheelie. Walking in my cycle shoes is not fun as they have rigid soles).
So will have a rest day today, and tomorrow be back into it.
In the last 11 days I've done 38.4km (only 10 of that is cycling), so I am currently the top of the leader board in the challenge we're doing.

Bill the Cat
10-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Squash is an odd game. :yes:

rogue06
10-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Squash is an odd game. :yes:
:yes: But I'll see your squash and raise you curling.

Teallaura
10-18-2016, 06:13 PM
I like curling! :yes:

Not fond of squash, though. It tastes funny. :shrug:

rogue06
10-18-2016, 06:41 PM

Do you like pumpkin pie?

Teallaura
10-18-2016, 06:53 PM
I've already heard those nasty rumors! It's not true! It's a conspiracy by the squash people! You're all in on it!!!! :rant:

Raphael
11-08-2016, 04:22 PM

Try gem squash (http://www.gemsquashnz.com/Recipes.html)

Raphael
11-08-2016, 04:28 PM
An update.

So first of all a combination of overdoing it slightly and my dodgy old cheap running shoes being nasty to me I got shin splints. So I backed of the walking/jogging a bit (still went for rides with my eldest, but this time both of us on bikes).

I got some new trail running shoes (Asics) and at lunch today went on my first walk/jog in a little over a fortnight. no pain in my shins, and only a little achy in my calf muscles (which are still getting used to the fact of exercise).

My beloved and I have also started on the "Banting" diet. Which is a Low Carb High Fat ketogenic diet. Over the last three weeks I've lost 4 kgs.

Teallaura
11-10-2016, 06:24 PM
:thumb:

shunyadragon
12-02-2016, 02:38 PM
The back story:
My main form of exercise was mountain biking (and cycling to work most days) with the odd game of squash or paintball thrown in.
When I injured my right arm (TFCC tear) that dropped off noticeably (as couldn't ride, or cycle etc.) and once I started with the surgeries to correct it, that ground to a halt.
So I have about four years of minimal exercise. I am now cleared to cycle again.

I did walk the 10km race of the 2016 Hawke's Bay Marathon in May (1:36:32), but over the winter have not done much since. Since it is now spring I have started the long hard slog to becoming fit again (it's a lot harder in my mid 30's than it was when in my 20's)
I also need to drop about 15kg (I want to get down to aleast 85kg, at the moment I'm varying between 96.5kg and 99.5kg). I'm planning on that being 5kg at a time thing though.

So to start with through MapMyFitness mine beloved and I have challenged my one brother and sister-in-law to who can do the most km's between the 8th October and 27th November. (so walking, jogging, running, cycling all included)
To try achieve that I am walking/jogging in my lunch breaks. And on Tuesdays/Thursdays I am doing either cycling or jogging in the evening while my 10 year old cycles with me.

So far I've managed to survive the first week, and now am getting into the second week.

(I also have to do light weight training with my right arm to rebuild muscle after 4 years of not being able to use my arm)

My advice is plan on more than one venue for an exercise program. I have biked, played tennis, hiked, and jogged, a year ago settled on a membership in a gym Planet Fitness for $10.00 a month. In the gym I can choose between a variety of exercise equipment and weight training equipment to stay fit. This has worked best for me.