Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

3 years before 2/3 of animal populations are gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 years before 2/3 of animal populations are gone?

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...r-report-warns

The number of wild animals living on Earth is set to fall by two-thirds by 2020, according to a new report, part of a mass extinction that is destroying the natural world upon which humanity depends.

The analysis, the most comprehensive to date, indicates that animal populations plummeted by 58% between 1970 and 2012, with losses on track to reach 67% by 2020. Researchers from WWF and the Zoological Society of London compiled the report from scientific data and found that the destruction of wild habitats, hunting and pollution were to blame.

The creatures being lost range from mountains to forests to rivers and the seas and include well-known endangered species such as elephants and gorillas and lesser known creatures such as vultures and salamanders.

The collapse of wildlife is, with climate change, the most striking sign of the Anthropocene, a proposed new geological era in which humans dominate the planet. “We are no longer a small world on a big planet. We are now a big world on a small planet, where we have reached a saturation point,” said Prof Johan Rockström, executive director of the Stockholm Resilience Centre, in a foreword for the report.

Marco Lambertini, director general of WWF, said: “The richness and diversity of life on Earth is fundamental to the complex life systems that underpin it. Life supports life itself and we are part of the same equation. Lose biodiversity and the natural world and the life support systems, as we know them today, will collapse.”

He said humanity was completely dependent on nature for clean air and water, food and materials, as well as inspiration and happiness.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

It seems to me that large predators have been hit especially hard, since they're the most threat to humans. This leaves herbivores more likely to multiply to the point they over-graze areas, stripping the vegetation needed to absorb CO2 and provide oxygen.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

This sounds like more of the 1970's overpopulation scare-tactics to me. According to them we would all be packed shoulder to shoulder and eating each other by the year 2000.

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Did Al Gore have anything to do with this?
          This hysteria and apocalyptic fear mongering reminds many of the 1970 Earth Day predictions that fizzled like a firecracker:

End of civilization in 15-30 years

100-200 million deaths to starvation yearly for 10 years

A new ice age by 2000
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The articl seems misleading because animal populations hav aparently dropd 58% already. So it's just another 9% drop in the period from 2012-2020. I'm not sure how acurate the data is but it if animal populations are decreasing significantly acros the board, that is obviously a bad thing.
            Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

What is the baseline? Surely it can't be 2/3 of presently existing animal populations, right?
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                What is the baseline? Surely it can't be 2/3 of presently existing animal populations, right?
                1970. There's got to be lots of assumptions built into the model, so I'm not sure how far I'd trust it. For example, massive development in my area doesn't seem to have thinned the deer herds any, and coyotes (or coywolves) seem to be multiplying, not diminishing.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  It seems to me that large predators have been hit especially hard, since they're the most threat to humans. This leaves herbivores more likely to multiply to the point they over-graze areas, stripping the vegetation needed to absorb CO2 and provide oxygen.
                  Duly noted. I will endeavor to increase my bacon intake, as well as take advantage of the fact that my state is one of the lucky ones where Arby's will be serving venison. Mmm, Bambi.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

We'll just make more animals, no big deal
                    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      1970. There's got to be lots of assumptions built into the model, so I'm not sure how far I'd trust it. For example, massive development in my area doesn't seem to have thinned the deer herds any, and coyotes (or coywolves) seem to be multiplying, not diminishing.
                      They are probably including such things as minor sub-species, like a moth with an extra spot that suddenly disappears, or things like microbes and such.

Comment

here is the actual report:
                        https://www.wnf.nl/custom/LPR_2016_fullreport/

long on charts and claims, lacking in any actual scientific evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          here is the actual report:
                          https://www.wnf.nl/custom/LPR_2016_fullreport/

long on charts and claims, lacking in any actual scientific evidence.

They have fifteen pages of references, many of which are studies of populations and/or trends.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X