Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Help! How do i get rid of fleas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! How do i get rid of fleas?

This dude:

photo (1).JPG

Has had a low level flea infestation for a couple of weeks, by which I mean, every two or three weeks I'll find two or three fleas. He gets a flea bath, we vacuum the floor, rugs, couches, etc. with flea junk. We wash his bedding and ours. And for a couple of weeks, nothing. Then, fleas.

Do I have fleas in our backyard? What do I do about that?
    Are the fleas hiding somewhere in the house or on the dog? Why am I not seeing them then?

My bride, eternally the patient and loving woman, is fed up.

What do I do?

Thanks,
    Guaca.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

You need to use a "flea bomb" to get rid of the initial problem. Raid makes a good fogger. And monthly flea treatments of your carpet with Raid flea carpet spray. And vacuum daily. The vacuum breaks the eggs and sucks up the live fleas too.

And most importantly, K9 Advantix II monthly on the scruff of the neck.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Okay. Is the flea bomb like something where we have to stay out of the house? I've been doing the advantix religiously but his fur is so thick. Have you heard anything about having your yard sprayed? That sounds like a scam by the yard company. I imagine the fleas come and go with the frosts.
      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        You need to use a "flea bomb" to get rid of the initial problem. Raid makes a good fogger. And monthly flea treatments of your carpet with Raid flea carpet spray. And vacuum daily. The vacuum breaks the eggs and sucks up the live fleas too.

And most importantly, K9 Advantix II monthly on the scruff of the neck.
        Yeah, and you have to be systematic about it, because of the way they reproduce. The instructions on the product will help.

Here's a pretty good article.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, you'd need to be out of the house for a couple hours, as I recall, along with any pets. Make sure you have all the doors/windows closed(the bomb is more effective that way), and air it out by opening doors and windows before you settle in again. Spraying the yard won't do anything, the fleas will return unless everyone in the area was spraying their yards at the same time. If advantix isn't working you could ask your vet for something else? I've only had cats, and we had a really bad flea problem for months one time. The carpet powder helped, but the best thing you can do is make sure you get an effective flea treatment for your pets.

Comment

The k9 Advantix will kill and sterilize any stage fleas that bite your dog. So it won't stop them from getting on him so much as kill any that do.

yeah fleas are usually seasonal, but I think their eggs can survive the winter and hatch in the spring again. Are their any neighbors nearby with dogs that could be infesting your yard? or do you live near the woods where wild animals could be bringing them into your yard? If not, then spraying your yard could clear things up for you and your dog will work as a "flea vac" in the house attracting and killing any left over fleas if he is on a flea killer like advantix or frontline, but it could take a few weeks.

Comment

cute dog. I have a schnauzer with similar fur. I keep it cut short on the body and just keep the "schnauzer face" and I used to use Frontline and got rid of the fleas. Now he is flea free and nothing is in my yard so I have taken him off of it for now.

But last year he got so infested (down at my brother's house) that I had to use flea spray on him in addition to the frontline because he was getting eat up by the fleas.

Comment

Yeah a couple times of year Scout gets to run wild in rural Michigan at the in-laws and he comes home with... many friends. This might be a hold over from the summer fun.
                Save me, save me"

Comment

I'm so glad I live in the Mojave. For some reason fleas don't survive out here. Ticks are a different story apparently.

Flea collars are used here - they work on ticks as well - and I've heard good things about Advantix and Frontline. I don't use them because all my cats were and are strictly indoors. Once I had a bad case of ear infestation courtesy of some contact at the Vet's.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                    This dude:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19420[/ATTACH]

Has had a low level flea infestation for a couple of weeks, by which I mean, every two or three weeks I'll find two or three fleas. He gets a flea bath, we vacuum the floor, rugs, couches, etc. with flea junk. We wash his bedding and ours. And for a couple of weeks, nothing. Then, fleas.

Do I have fleas in our backyard? What do I do about that?
                    Are the fleas hiding somewhere in the house or on the dog? Why am I not seeing them then?

My bride, eternally the patient and loving woman, is fed up.

What do I do?

Thanks,
                    Guaca.
                    After vacuuming throw out the bag. It can hold flea eggs which can hatch and the fleas crawl out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      After vacuuming throw out the bag. It can hold flea eggs which can hatch and the fleas crawl out.
                      After wrapping it in a plastic bag.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Bomb the house and the outdoors. Bathe the dog in dawn soap. then use frontline or advantage.

We bathe my cat a couple times a year in 1/2 dawn with cedar wood flea comb him and steam clean the carpets upholstry and heat dry the clothes which kills the eggs. We also replace the litter box and scoop and disinfect the dishes a few times a year. He's indoor but we have a feral cat colony so I go around and bomb the out doors. Sevin Dust or DE works well too. It kills ant colonies. the only thing I have concerns about is killing spiders because they eat mosquitos. I need plant peonies to have the ants colonize them, and then put humming bird feeders out and other stuff this year that helps attract certain insects and kill others.
                        Last edited by Catholicity; 12-28-2016, 08:44 AM.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X