Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Help me! I'm beginning to abandon the Trinity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me! I'm beginning to abandon the Trinity.

Help me! Maybe you can. I'm changing from being a Trinitarian to Unitarian.

After some 30 years of searching through study and prayer, I'm coming to the conclusion that (1) the God of the Bible is not three persons in one being, but rather one person one being and (2) Jesus is not Almighty God, but a sinless human being miraculously, virginally conceived of Mary. I'm still unsure about the Spirit.

I think pinning your mental well being on comprehending the nature of God is ridiculous.
    Even if you were to pick one or the other you wouldn't be any closer to 'getting it'.

Look to Christ for your understanding of God and leave the rest to people who like to tire themselves with running in circles.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

What have you studied?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by RGJesus View Post
        Help me! Maybe you can. I'm changing from being a Trinitarian to Unitarian.

After some 30 years of searching through study and prayer, I'm coming to the conclusion that (1) the God of the Bible is not three persons in one being, but rather one person one being and (2) Jesus is not Almighty God, but a sinless human being miraculously, virginally conceived of Mary. I'm still unsure about the Spirit.
        http://www.tektonics.org/jesusclaimshub.html

And specifically:

http://www.tektonics.org/uz/unitresp.php
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
          I think pinning your mental well being on comprehending the nature of God is ridiculous.
          Even if you were to pick one or the other you wouldn't be any closer to 'getting it'.

Look to Christ for your understanding of God and leave the rest to people who like to tire themselves with running in circles.
          What do you mean "look to Christ"?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            What have you studied?
            I went to an evangelical seminary (to be unnamed) and finished a Master's Degree in Christian Apologetics. There I studied theology, philosophy, and basic biblical languages, to name a few.

Comment

Thank you for the resources. I've read lots of articles from tektonics and from other sources. Tektonics produces lots good scholarly stuff on a variety of topics. But I remain unconvinced by the arguments presented for the Trinitarian view.

Comment

I went to an evangelical seminary (to be unnamed) and finished a Master's Degree in Christian Apologetics. There I studied theology, philosophy, and basic biblical languages, to name a few.
                Ok. What have you looked at in regards to the topic at hand? Have you read the Church Fathers who argued for the deity of Christ (Athanasius) and the Holy Spirit (Basil, Ambrose)? More recently, have you read, e.g., Larry Hurtado's Why on Earth Did Jesus Become a God?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Thank you for the resources. I've read lots of articles from tektonics and from other sources. Tektonics produces lots good scholarly stuff on a variety of topics. But I remain unconvinced by the arguments presented for the Trinitarian view.
                  What do you think the arguments for the Trinity are?
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What do you mean "look to Christ"?
                    Christ shows us the nature of the Father independent of what you may believe about the Trinity.
                    That is all the instruction we need to live well - getting this one doctrine correct isn't a huge deal.

Christ is God for Dummies.

So it is okay to take the ole' Trinitarian doctrine out for a spin but don't get hung up on it.
                    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Ok. What have you looked at in regards to the topic at hand? Have you read the Church Fathers who argued for the deity of Christ (Athanasius) and the Holy Spirit (Basil, Ambrose)? More recently, have you read, e.g., Larry Hurtado's Why on Earth Did Jesus Become a God?
                      I didn't look at the Church Fathers' works, but I did look at the works of Robert M. Bowman's works, William Lane Craig, Norman Geisler, and other, and not so, prominent theologians/apologists. I've listened to the debates between James White (Alpha and Omega Ministries) and other Unitarians (like Greg Stafford former JW and Anthony Buzzard). The more I look both into the arguments for the Trinitarian view and the Unitarian view, the more I become convinced that the Unitarian view fits hands and gloves with the biblical data.

Comment

I didn't look at the Church Fathers' works, but I did look at the works of Robert M. Bowman's works, William Lane Craig, Norman Geisler, and other, and not so, prominent theologians/apologists. I've listened to the debates between James White (Alpha and Omega Ministries) and other Unitarians (like Greg Stafford former JW and Anthony Buzzard). The more I look both into the arguments for the Trinitarian view and the Unitarian view, the more I become convinced that the Unitarian view fits hands and gloves with the biblical data.
                        The article I cited directly answered Buzzard and Stafford.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          What do you think the arguments for the Trinity are?
                          This discussion can go in many different directions. But let me point out one insuperable (logical) problem, as I see it, surrounding the God-man nature of Christ. He is said to be both fully God and fully man. When Jesus died on the cross, (1) did the God-man Jesus die? (2) Did the God Jesus die? (3) Did the man Jesus die?

Different Trinitarians answer these questions differently. I'd like to hear what you answer is.

Comment

This discussion can go in many different directions. But let me point out one insuperable (logical) problem, as I see it, surrounding the God-man nature of Christ. He is said to be both fully God and fully man. When Jesus died on the cross, (1) did the God-man Jesus die? (2) Did the God Jesus die? (3) Did the man Jesus die?

Different Trinitarians answer these questions differently. I'd like to hear what you answer is.
                            The God-man Jesus died. Separating the two natures is Nestorianism.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              The article I cited directly answered Buzzard and Stafford.
                              How would you argue for the Trinity?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X