PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Seventh Son (Pathfinder One-Shot)



Chaotic Void
11-30-2016, 08:01 AM
For everyone else, it was just another day in the city of Argent. For you guys, however, this was a day that wouldn't be soon forgotten.

CV presents, in tandem with TheologyWeb forums...

Seventh Son: A Pathfinder One-Shot

***

A messenger approached you in the morning with a letter. Opening it up, you find the following scrawled...

"COME TO THE MAGNES ESTATE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. TELL NO ONE OF THIS AFFAIR."

The party convenes at the mansion and- upon showing the letter- they are escorted to the main study where Duke Magnes is pacing frantically while his wife is weeping into a handkerchief.

"Ah, yes!" the Duke perks up as he sees you. "You've arrived. Thank you for coming. You see, we've had a bit of a family problem, and I'd rather have this dealt with before my political rivals catch wind of what's happened. Last night, our son disappeared. POOF! Without a Trace."

He catches his breath for a second and goes on. "If you want a reward, that won't be an issue. I'll pay the lot of you the sum of 120 Thousand gold pieces if you can find my son alive."

He takes a moment to wait for your responses.

Rational Gaze
11-30-2016, 09:11 AM
"Your proposal is acceptable," I say.

Spartacus
11-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Talys looks expectantly at [Teal's character whose name I don't know] "What do you think, detective?"

Teallaura
11-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Lavaria wrinkles her brow and strokes her chin, "Poof, you say? Your offer is accepted but I shall need every detail. Pray start, Your Lordship, with an account of just what happened immediately prior to the child's disappearance."

Chaotic Void
12-01-2016, 08:06 AM
(Lavaria)

The Duke replies, "I mean, POOF! Edward gets tucked into bed by his mother, and the next morning he's gone! No one entered the room, or left, after he was tucked in. The guards patrolling the house make sure of that."

Teallaura
12-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Lavaria cocks her head slightly, "So no one saw the child, erm, go 'poof', as you put it. And his mother was the last person to have seen him. Pray tell, has the room been much disturbed? And where is his room? Is it on the ground floor or higher up?"

Draco Dei
12-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Gauss pulled out paper ink and pen at the word "Poof" and started taking notes, allowing his comrades to start the questioning, since he can be a bit... intense when it comes to asking questions about observed phenomena of importance. His judgement in this matter is rewarded when it is revealed that the "Poof" is not very literal at all.

"Yes, that would be the best place to start, as their may be evidence that is fading over time. Afterwards of course, there is the matter of motive which could prove equally instructive to consider."

Chaotic Void
12-02-2016, 06:11 AM
The Duke's Wife replies, "Yes, I was the last person to see him, and no one saw our son vanish. Edward's room is upstairs. It hasn't been touched since we discovered our son's disappearance. You're free to take a look at it."

Spartacus
12-02-2016, 02:00 PM
"Let's go."

Teallaura
12-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Lavaria nods, "Excellent."

As they proceed, she continues her questioning. "So, my lord, pray forgive my forwardness, but surely a man with your standing has not only respect but his share of enemies as well. Who, in your estimation, might gain from your son's absence or might be well pleased by your distress?"

Chaotic Void
12-03-2016, 07:33 AM
[GM's note: We're splitting the party? So who's going to check out the room, who's sticking with Lavaria?]

(Lavaria)

The Duke replies, "Could be anyone, really. I'm not sure how aware you are of politics, but everybody and their cat tends to be two-faced. One minute they're your friend, the next they're circling you like vultures. If you want specifics... The Dophore Family has been overly *ahem* friendly lately, and the Merchant's Guild has been a bit standoffish as of late."

Spartacus
12-03-2016, 08:29 AM
[I see no reason why we can't continue the questioning at the room.]

Teallaura
12-03-2016, 09:39 AM
"Any particular reasons in those cases?"

Rational Gaze
12-03-2016, 07:13 PM
[I'm going to go with Lavaria when she goes to the room.]
X-ATM092 interjects: "It might be helpful if we were provided with an architectural layout of the building... to assist in identifying possible means of entry/exit."

Chaotic Void
12-04-2016, 07:19 PM
[GM's note: Fair Point, Spart.]

The Duke shrugs in uncertainty. "I suspect the Dophores just want to ingratiate themselves after a hefty scandal involving their son and a rather unsavory 'courtesan'. Meanwhile, the Merchant's Guild probably thinks that my accountant has stiffed them on a minor business transaction. Probably just another miscommunication."

The Duke's wife replies to A-XTM092, "There are an assortment of exits on the main floor, primarily the kitchen and the main entrance. Meanwhile, on the second floor where Edward's bedroom is, there are an assortment of windows... including one in Edward's bedroom. The problem is... no matter how they could have come and gone, the guards or the hounds would have spotted them... but now that I think of it, I haven't seen the hounds yet today."

****
Everyone finds themselves in a child's room on the second floor. There's a toy chest in the side of the room, a small wardrobe, a window, a bed whose sheets are still unfurled, and a bookshelf next to a small desk.

Spartacus
12-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Talys walks up to the window and, having observed whether the window is closed or was left open, looks outside at the mansion grounds.

Chaotic Void
12-05-2016, 07:02 AM
(Talys)

[Roll Perception]

Spartacus
12-05-2016, 07:31 AM
[11 on the die plus 10 is 21]

Teallaura
12-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Lavaria begins a very thorough inspection of the room.

Chaotic Void
12-06-2016, 07:59 AM
(Talys)

[Perception Check Results...]

You look outside the already-open window and see a rather spacious yard. Scattered amongst it are a small pond, a garden, and a small shed labeled, "Kennels." The door is wide open on the shed.

(Lavaria)

[Roll Perception, Please]

Spartacus
12-06-2016, 10:34 AM
[anyone gonna detect magic?]

Carrikature
12-06-2016, 02:36 PM
[I'm going to go with Lavaria when she goes to the room.]
X-ATM092 interjects: "It might be helpful if we were provided with an architectural layout of the building... to assist in identifying possible means of entry/exit."

[I'm going to give you the choice of either a fun nickname or constantly misstating your name. There's no way on earth my character is calling you X-ATM092 all the time. :smile:]

Rational Gaze
12-06-2016, 02:43 PM
[I'm going to give you the choice of either a fun nickname or constantly misstating your name. There's no way on earth my character is calling you X-ATM092 all the time. :smile:]
[It was going to be X-ATM092 or BGH251F2. I went with the former because it is more memorable. You could just call me Tin Man, though.]

Rational Gaze
12-06-2016, 02:46 PM
X-ATM092 begins a computation of the possible entry and escape points into and out of the room that would simultaneously allow for an intruder to avoid detection.

Spartacus
12-06-2016, 02:49 PM
[It was going to be X-ATM092 or BGH251F2. I went with the former because it is more memorable. You could just call me Tin Man, though.]

[Frankly, neither of those options is particularly memorable to me :eh:

X-ATM could be pronounced something like "Zatum." Or we could just pretend "ATM" is pronounced "Adam"]

Carrikature
12-06-2016, 03:02 PM
[It was going to be X-ATM092 or BGH251F2. I went with the former because it is more memorable. You could just call me Tin Man, though.]

[How about 'ax'?]

Draco Dei
12-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Gauss casts the most basic of spells to analyze magic, hoping to find lingering auras.

[If he finds anything and after getting all the information possible:]
He reports his findings.
"I can get more, but I can only have the energies set up for that once. What does everyone think?"

Teallaura
12-07-2016, 05:27 PM
(Talys)

[Perception Check Results...]

You look outside the already-open window and see a rather spacious yard. Scattered amongst it are a small pond, a garden, and a small shed labeled, "Kennels." The door is wide open on the shed.

(Lavaria)

[Roll Perception, Please]


[With the +7 - a 9. :argh:]

Chaotic Void
12-07-2016, 08:04 PM
(Gauss)

[GM's note: Give me a Knowledge (Arcana) roll, please.]

(Lavaria)

[Perception Check Results:]

You don't see anything out of the ordinary about this room. You think the teddy bear was giving you a dirty look, but it could just be the way the light was shining in the window... :noid:

(X-ATM)

Based on what you can see... the only other way out of Edward's bedroom- aside from the door- would be the window that Talys is gawking out.

Spartacus
12-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Talys starts to examine the window frame for signs of a rope or grappling hook having been used either fibers of a rope or a mark in the frame from where a hook might have caught on.

[perception: 18]

If she doesn't find anything and if the magic search doesn't turn up anything either, she tells the duke that she would like to look around the yard beneath the window in case intruders left tracks, but wouldn't want to have to contend with the hounds while doing so.

Draco Dei
12-07-2016, 10:22 PM
[Arcana 29 including bonus for my book of student notes... lets say if I made it by at least 10 then I didn't even feel any need to pull out the book? If for some reason I can't reference my notes (too hard to multitask between turning pages/reading and maintaining the spell? But I can always recast it...]

Chaotic Void
12-08-2016, 08:25 AM
(Talys)

A quick gander around the window frame seems to indicate a nick in the frame, indicative of a grappling hook.

(Gauss)

As Gauss focuses on the spell, consulting his notes, he finds two things:
-An assorted collection of auras emanating from the bookshelft, whose collective presence is giving off the presence of a strong aura.
-A VERY dim aura coming from near the window. It was tough to pin-point what exactly was causing it, but after another perusal through your notes, you recognize EXACTLY what it is: Ki.

Teallaura
12-08-2016, 06:26 PM
{What does the bed look like? Is it made or not?}

"Hmmm... what time was it when you put the child to bed, milady?"

Ignoring that uppity teddy bear, Lavaria looks more intently at the room, starting with the least obvious, the ceiling and working her way around.

[15, 19 and 21 in that order - in case you want more than one roll for her Sherlock with the magnifying glass routine]

Spartacus
12-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Talys points out the nicked frame to the group as possible evidence of a grappling hook being used, then suggests that the next step is looking for tracks or other evidence in the yard below.

Rational Gaze
12-08-2016, 07:46 PM
"We should probably question the servants, too," X-ATM092 adds.

Chaotic Void
12-08-2016, 08:30 PM
{What does the bed look like? Is it made or not?}



[GM's note: The Bed isn't made.]



"Hmmm... what time was it when you put the child to bed, milady?"

Ignoring that uppity teddy bear, Lavaria looks more intently at the room, starting with the least obvious, the ceiling and working her way around.

[15, 19 and 21 in that order - in case you want more than one roll for her Sherlock with the magnifying glass routine]

[GM's note: So the Ceiling... give me two more specific locations to check out]

Draco Dei
12-08-2016, 10:02 PM
"Yeah, I am getting evidence of Ki from the window sill. That a sort of internal bodily energy use that is a sort of... second cousin twice removed from magic. It is favored by those who hone their bodies and spirits together. Mostly focused inward although I THINK there are a tiny few ways to use it directly to cause harm to another. I'm also getting a lot of magic from the bookcase. Too muddled to make it out, but together it adds up to quite a bit. Could just be book preservation and perhaps security spells? In any case, I am reminded that one classic way to hide something is in plain sight amongst similar objects. I'd start spreading thing out to get a clearer reading, but I wouldn't want to move any evidence out of position before someone more keen at noticing what is PHYSICALLY out of place has a look at it." says Gauss.

[[That is not saying more than I would know about Ki, right?]]

Spartacus
12-09-2016, 08:30 AM
"Ki? You mean that thing monks and ninjas use? That's useful to know." Talys looks at the duke: "Are there any monasteries that might have some grudge against you? Or a rival with a ninja bodyguard?"

Draco Dei
12-09-2016, 11:27 AM
"Oh, and speaking of security spells, how plausible is it that someone might be trying to extract information from her, instead of or in addition to revenge or ransom? And by 'ransom' I would hazard to guess that favors would be the more likely demand than physical objects? Are there any critical political junctions coming up? Not that they couldn't be going for something that isn't particular to this time in theory."

Spartacus
12-09-2016, 11:31 AM
[it was a son that was abducted, not a daughter. You said "her." :huh: :girl: ]

Draco Dei
12-09-2016, 02:54 PM
[Oops!]

Teallaura
12-10-2016, 01:28 PM
[GM's note: The Bed isn't made.]



[GM's note: So the Ceiling... give me two more specific locations to check out]
[walls, floor]

Chaotic Void
12-11-2016, 02:07 PM
"Ki? You mean that thing monks and ninjas use? That's useful to know." Talys looks at the duke: "Are there any monasteries that might have some grudge against you? Or a rival with a ninja bodyguard?"

The Duke replies, "I generally have nothing to do with monasteries; nothing against them, it's just that our lines of work never cross. As for Ninja bodyguards," he chuckles, "None of my rivals are either brave or stupid enough to consort with them."


"Oh, and speaking of security spells, how plausible is it that someone might be trying to extract information from her, instead of or in addition to revenge or ransom? And by 'ransom' I would hazard to guess that favors would be the more likely demand than physical objects? Are there any critical political junctions coming up? Not that they couldn't be going for something that isn't particular to this time in theory."

Duke Magnes response, "My son is a bit young to be entrusted with anything my rivals would want. I mean, as of tomorrow, the boy will only be Seven years of age."


[walls, floor]

(Perception Check Results...)

Taking a gander at the ceiling, the walls, and the floors, you find that they're fairly neat and well-kept. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Spartacus
12-11-2016, 04:03 PM
[what sorts of books are on the shelf? Are there any that seem very out of place? 10+14=24 if i need a perception roll

Based on what we know now, I'm imagining ninjas coming in to steal a book, accidentally waking the kid, and having to kidnap him so he can't talk. That, or there's a secret passageway behind the bookshelf :whistle:

other more likely possibilities:
1. kidnapping for ransom, in which case there should be a ransom note delivered soon
2. kidnapping to distract the duke or his wife from some impending event, anything from a political maneuver to a baking competition from which the competition wishes to eliminate the competition. I hear the duke makes delicious cream puffs.
3. kidnapping the child to be a sacrifice for evil ninja cult to summon Hairthulu]

Chaotic Void
12-11-2016, 04:09 PM
(Talys)

Perception Check Results:

There looks to be a lot of texts on Arcane magic on the shelf, some of which appear to be pretty dang old.

Spartacus
12-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Talys addresses the Duke again: "What are all of these books doing in your son's room? They seem a little, umm, advanced for a seven-year-old."

Chaotic Void
12-11-2016, 04:16 PM
"Oh, those?" The Duke replies. "Those are some old texts I dredged up from the attic. You see, Edward has shown himself to be a bit of a prodigy in the mystic arts. I admit, those seem a bit- um- ADVANCED for his age. But," he catches his breath, "believe it or not, he's slowly but surely catching on!"

Spartacus
12-11-2016, 04:20 PM
"Who else knows about his talents? They could be why he was kidnapped."

Teallaura
12-11-2016, 05:22 PM
[what sorts of books are on the shelf? Are there any that seem very out of place? 10+14=24 if i need a perception roll

Based on what we know now, I'm imagining ninjas coming in to steal a book, accidentally waking the kid, and having to kidnap him so he can't talk. That, or there's a secret passageway behind the bookshelf :whistle:

other more likely possibilities:
1. kidnapping for ransom, in which case there should be a ransom note delivered soon
2. kidnapping to distract the duke or his wife from some impending event, anything from a political maneuver to a baking competition from which the competition wishes to eliminate the competition. I hear the duke makes delicious cream puffs.
3. kidnapping the child to be a sacrifice for evil ninja cult to summon Hairthulu]

[Or no kidnapping at all. :ponder:

I don't suppose the young 'un could have summoned Hairy? :noid:]

Chaotic Void
12-11-2016, 08:42 PM
The Duke replies, "Well, his Tutor for one. I haven't seen him in the past month, however. He said he was going to take a vacation and travel around for a bit."

Rational Gaze
12-12-2016, 06:43 AM
"I don't suppose he mentioned where he was going and when he was coming back?"

Chaotic Void
12-12-2016, 06:56 AM
"He didn't mention where he was going, but his vacation was supposed to end a week from now."

Spartacus
12-12-2016, 07:01 PM
"Can you tell us anything else about this tutor?"

Chaotic Void
12-13-2016, 08:16 PM
"His name is Tobias Jade. He's a retired professor of the Arcane. He came very highly recommended by the Arcana Fellowship when I asked around for tutors. He's been teaching Edward for the past two years."

Spartacus
12-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Talys nods, then crosses her arms. "Well, I'm fresh out of questions worth asking. Anyone else have thoughts? If not, I'm ready to start looking for the intruder's tracks in the yard."

Draco Dei
12-16-2016, 10:21 PM
Gauss tries to recall Tobias Jade, then asks questions and looks through the books to better qualify and quantify the boy's abilities.

He also carefully removes a few books at a time from the shelf to get their individual auras without all the rest muddling them up.

Chaotic Void
12-17-2016, 07:44 AM
(Gauss)

[GM's note: Give me two Knowledge Rolls: The first one you roll? You get to pick between Local, Geography, or Nobility; whichever you have, or whichever is highest. The other Knowledge roll is Arcana]

Draco Dei
12-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Gauss gets out his notes again.

[[Knowledge [Local and Geography have the same modifier] = 14 = 4 (die)+10 (modifiers)
Knowledge [Arcana] = 26 (24 w/out notes) = 12 (die) + 14 (modifiers, including +2 for notes) ]]

Chaotic Void
12-19-2016, 09:11 AM
(Gauss)

[Knowledge: Local Results]

Tobias Jade is a long-lived man. Before he became a private tutor, he was a professor at the local Arcane Academy, and before that he was an adventuring Wizard. He's got an overall reputation for being a complete boy scout in both Academic and Adventuring circles.

[Knowledge: Arcana Results]

As you pull a couple books out and identify each School, you make a few observations:
-These books are REALLY OLD. It's a miracle they're still bound together.
-There are a few auras from Each School of Magic.
-These books are also very advanced. You're no slouch, but you can tell that it's either going to take Ten Cups of, "Essence of Java Bean" or Ten Doses of, "Alchemists Intoxicant," before you can even begin to wrap your head around the stuff in these texts.

Draco Dei
12-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Gauss passes along what he remembers of Tobias Jade.

((Assuming that a spellbook on Evocation doesn't normally detect as Evocation aura-ed...))

"Hmm... hmm... yes.. odd, but okay... but what about the one before that... Okay, help me out here sir... I'm getting almost every type of magic used on these books. Transmutation and Necromancy could both be theoretically used to preserve paper and leather I suspect, but don't quote me on that. Illusion to hide privileged writings, Divination to control access, in which case I can take no responsibility for any silent alarms I may have tripped. Conjuration... well, I guess saying a word and having the book teleport to you or back to where it belongs could a nice luxury touch... Abjuration to fireproof* or prevent a thief from teleporting away with it I suppose? But what is a book doing with Evocation? Do some of the pages act like spell scrolls? Or maybe your son was just experimenting with creating magical items? Or did someone try to disguise the aura and not stick to plausible cover stories?"

*((Ignore either of these if I am wrong. Gauss has the Spellcraft to know, but I'm trying to avoid losing momentum to double-check the book.))

"Ummm... he isn't by any small chance adopted is he?" asks Gauss "Because 'savant' is an understatement here... I'd have trouble with a lot of this and I'm even better with theory than I am with application. I think some dragons can take the forms of men and they... err... well, certainly not an issue in any case!" says Gauss after some reading, before remembering that this might be a touchy subject.. At least I didn't ask if his wife had been faithful or ever been tricked by an incubus or the like... come to that I have heard theories about how the ethics of the more chaotic of the angels and dragons might result in 'visitations'...

Chaotic Void
12-20-2016, 07:47 AM
(Gauss)

Duke Magnes Replies, an eyebrow slightly raised after the adopted remark, "My family has had those books for generations. I can only assume that whichever of my ancestors made them found a way to keep his wisdom intact. They've just been collecting dust in the attic up until Edward came along. He belongs to me and the missus, I assure you."

Spartacus
12-20-2016, 09:00 PM
"Are any of the texts missing, as far as you can tell?"

Chaotic Void
12-20-2016, 09:27 PM
The Duke responds to Talys, "I hadn't considered it, what with my son being the first priority, but," he takes a quick perusal, "they all appear to be here."

Draco Dei
12-20-2016, 10:36 PM
"Can he actually cast? if so, spontaneously or does he prepare stuff and what have you actually seen him do? I'm trying to figure out what clues we might look for if we find a place we think he MIGHT have been if he manages to cast something. He might try to escape or even leave an intentional clue."

"Which books are his favorites? If you don't know, then which shelves would he have had the easiest time getting to? Can you double-check somehow to be sure none are missing? How much do you know or can you easily figure out about the history of the books. Why they were each acquired, from whom, when, that sort of thing? It is just barely possible that he was taken to explain some rare and valuable piece of information in one of them."

Gauss wonders exactly how SLOW trying to track the ki trail with Detect Magic would be assuming it was used continuously (invisibility for instance, assuming he knows about that application of ki)...

Rational Gaze
12-21-2016, 02:25 PM
As for Ninja bodyguards," he chuckles, "None of my rivals are either brave or stupid enough to consort with them."
[I have Knowledge: Religion and Knowledge: Nobility, what should I roll?]

Teallaura
12-21-2016, 06:32 PM
[Congrats on being a bigger flake than my character, Gauss :teeth:]

"Hmm, pray tell, Master Gauss, how do you know the lad has read and understood the books as yet?"

With a look of mild annoyance, she takes something from her pocket and places it on her head, carefully hiding it under her hair, "Always forgetting this fool thing..."

She examines the bed carefully and thoroughly. She takes a good look at the window and the ground below (from the window) as well as looking up to examine the upper sash and eaves (how high above the window are the eaves?)


[Rolls - with the added +2 :argh: - in order: 16, 16, 18, 13, 17]

Chaotic Void
12-22-2016, 08:03 AM
[I have Knowledge: Religion and Knowledge: Nobility, what should I roll?]

[Knowledge: Nobility would be more relevant in this case.]


[Congrats on being a bigger flake than my character, Gauss :teeth:]

"Hmm, pray tell, Master Gauss, how do you know the lad has read and understood the books as yet?"

With a look of mild annoyance, she takes something from her pocket and places it on her head, carefully hiding it under her hair, "Always forgetting this fool thing..."

She examines the bed carefully and thoroughly. She takes a good look at the window and the ground below (from the window) as well as looking up to examine the upper sash and eaves (how high above the window are the eaves?)


[Rolls - with the added +2 :argh: - in order: 16, 16, 18, 13, 17]

Taking a peek at the window, you notice the nicks in the frame that Talys pointed out to you. Looking down at the ground, you find along the side of the wall some slight scrapes, indicating someone might have slipped as they were climbing up. Gandering at the eaves (which ends about half a foot out from the window) and the sash nets you nothing; they appear to be undisturbed.

Rational Gaze
12-22-2016, 08:22 AM
[Knowledge: Nobility would be more relevant in this case.]
[Then I use Knowledge: Nobility.]

Chaotic Void
12-22-2016, 08:41 AM
[Then I use Knowledge: Nobility.]

[Roll me a d20, add the modifier, and tell me the result.]

Rational Gaze
12-22-2016, 03:18 PM
[Roll me a d20, add the modifier, and tell me the result.]
[I rolled a 3, and I have a +5, so 8 total.]

Chaotic Void
12-23-2016, 06:05 AM
(X-ATM092)

[Knowledge (Nobility) Results]

Hm... You're not 100% sure on this one. Maybe the nobles are too elitist... Maybe Ninjas are too dangerous... Maybe it all boils down to someone cheating at cards at the last family reunion?

Rational Gaze
12-23-2016, 04:20 PM
(X-ATM092)

[Knowledge (Nobility) Results]

Hm... You're not 100% sure on this one. Maybe the nobles are too elitist... Maybe Ninjas are too dangerous... Maybe it all boils down to someone cheating at cards at the last family reunion?
X-ATM092 interjects: "The Duke's statement regarding the relationship between nobles and ninjas seems accurate."


Turning to face the Duke he asks: "I don't suppose you have enemies elsewhere, Duke?"

[I'm going to go ahead and use Knowledge: Religion anyway.

I roll a d20, I get 18 and I have a +6 making a total of 24.]

Chaotic Void
12-23-2016, 05:00 PM
(X-ATM092)

[Knowledge (Religion) Check Results]

Hm... While some of the Ninja clans are fairly, "Meh," to deities, some of them have been known to have some- shall we say- less than virtuous patrons. Given the secretive nature of ninjas, most noblemen probably don't want to take a chance on working with people associated with devils or demons.

The Duke scratches his head and replies to X-ATM092, "Hm... not that I'm aware of."

Rational Gaze
12-23-2016, 05:38 PM
X-ATM092 concludes: "For the time being, I think we can assign a low probability that the disappearance of the child being the result of some plot on the part of a rival noble house. It could be possible that the ninjas acted on their own. Whilst ninjas aren't known for their religiosity, some have devoted themselves to the worship of evil beings. And some of these books found here ARE on some pretty heavy subjects. We shall definitely be speaking with this Tobias Jade fellow."

Teallaura
12-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Lavaria raises an eyebrow, "Mayhap, but let us proceed cautiously - it is a trifle early to conclude the who when we've only just begun on how and why and need be working on developments in what and where."

[If everyone is finished with the room, and cataloging those books for future reference, I think a trip to the ground is in order.]

Rational Gaze
12-24-2016, 05:47 AM
"I haven't concluded 'the who'. I have simply arrived at a possible working hypothesis that can be updated or replaced as we acquire new evidence."

Teallaura
12-24-2016, 10:17 AM
"I haven't concluded 'the who'. I have simply arrived at a possible working hypothesis that can be updated or replaced as we acquire new evidence."




Lavaria gently pats his arm, "Of course, of course, my dear X. Now, what say we work a bit on the 'how'?" She pauses, "Say, does that wonderful circuitry of yours include a means to catalog those books for later reference?"

Chaotic Void
12-27-2016, 03:12 PM
[GM's note: So, we done with the room and wanting to head outside? Speak now, or forever hold your peace.]

Draco Dei
12-28-2016, 03:44 PM
"Hmm, pray tell, Master Gauss, how do you know the lad has read and understood the books as yet?"
"Hmmm...good point. In any case the only things I am wondering about that can be answered here and now are if I should spend my more powerful spell to analyze the magic on them and/or perhaps unload the whole thing and see if there isn't something magical hiding in the auras, but that last seems unlikely.

Get back to us on if any of the books are missing, would you?" says Gauss, directing the last statement to the father.

Chaotic Void
01-01-2017, 04:15 PM
(The Party)

The Duke nods in response to Gauss. "I will inform you as soon as possible whether there are books missing. In the meantime, I believe you wanted to take a look outside? I'll have one of the houndsmen join you to ensure the dogs aren't hostile." He motions for a nearby aide to fetch an assistant.

Moments later, you go outside and the dog keeper- a young man- makes a whistling sound to attract the dogs. A couple awkward seconds later, nothing happens and he tries again. Still Nothing. He heads over to the kennels to find out what's amiss.

Spartacus
01-01-2017, 04:36 PM
If the kennels are not in the party's view, then Talys suggests the party follow him, since the kennels are close to the boy's window, where they want to go anyway.

Draco Dei
01-01-2017, 05:26 PM
"And neutralizing things than need neither eyes nor ears would be in keeping with what we have seen so far..."

Interesting it wasn't noticed before...

Chaotic Void
01-05-2017, 09:08 PM
The party sees the houndsman bring out some of the dogs from the kennels. One he has to drag along because it's sleeping. Another has a very big and VERY stupid-looking grin on it's face. The third seems to be gnawing on the fencepost, immediately coating it in drool.

"My goodness... This isn't a pleasant surprise."

Spartacus
01-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Talys shakes her head. "Probably drugged. Lavaria, Gauss, maybe you two could take a closer look at them or their food? I'm going to look for tracks leading to and from the window." She decides to start looking at the base of the boy's window and then follow any tracks she can find to the fence.

[I think this is a good time to roll a die. If we're using my perception roll, I'm only at a +7. If we can use my survival stat instead, I'm at +9 because of a class bonus. Anyway:
Tracking:
18(d20)+7=25, or 18+9=27]

Teallaura
01-07-2017, 02:03 PM
[Alchemist on board - what do I need to roll?]

"Talys, dear, quick change of plan, I think - Gauss and I will attend the dogs, do start looking for signs of any one or thing having been around the kennels - possibly anything they dropped..."

Spartacus
01-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Talys nods and complies with Lavaria's plan. [hoping I don't need to roll again :noid: ]

Chaotic Void
01-08-2017, 06:43 PM
[GM's note: Lavaria, you'll need to roll Craft (Alchemy) to figure out what's going on with the poochies. And Talys? Perception would be the route to go here. I'll post your results after Lavaria makes her roll]

Teallaura
01-09-2017, 05:21 PM
[15+3 = 18]

Chaotic Void
01-09-2017, 08:25 PM
(Talys)

[Perception Check Results]

You find some footprints leading from the base of the house under the window that go past the kennels and from the direction of the city center.

(Lavaria)

[Craft (Alchemy) Check Results]

Yeah... after checking their food... you can tell these poochies were drugged. Some really strong stuff, too. It could knock out a Dire Bear.

Draco Dei
01-10-2017, 09:05 PM
While Lavaria was checking the food, Gauss looked the dogs and food over for magic, he then moved on to playing assistant to her since she had already gotten started.

((Mechanics: Detect Magic followed by Aid Another. 7 die + 9 Modifier = 16. Assuming that this works the same as in 3.0/3.5 -> It is greater than 10, so +2, so we might get some more information if a 20 is any better than an 18.))

Spartacus
01-10-2017, 11:23 PM
[Footprints from one individual, I assume? And going in both directions, to/from the window?]

Chaotic Void
01-13-2017, 02:41 PM
(Gauss)

Based on what you know about Alchemy, it seems that- while potent- this particular concoction is fairly easy to make/procure.

(Talys)

GM's note: Odd... You see one set of footprints going in, two sets of footprints going out.

Spartacus
01-13-2017, 04:14 PM
[what size creature made each set of footprints?]

Chaotic Void
01-13-2017, 05:31 PM
[Two sets Medium, One set Small.]

Spartacus
01-13-2017, 06:05 PM
[Two sets Medium, One set Small.]

[I feel silly for asking this, but the two sets of medium go back-and-forth from the window, and the small only from? Or does a small set approach the window, and two sets of medium leave? :dizzy: ]

Chaotic Void
01-13-2017, 06:07 PM
[One medium goes in, a Small and a Medium leave]

Spartacus
01-13-2017, 06:26 PM
[One medium goes in, a Small and a Medium leave]

[thanks.]

Talys reports her findings to the group, and comments, "It looks like the child walked back across the yard on his own feet. He may have been enchanted, but it's possible he went willingly."

Draco Dei
01-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Gauss nods. "Always good to keep multiple hypotheses in mind, yes... For what it is worth the poison is quite potent, but hardly difficult to make."

He proceeds to give the name, and the ingredients to the best of his ability. "I don't suppose any of those are rare enough that their sale would be something noted in a ledger or remembered by a shop-keeper? Ninja's probably collect or grow all the ingredients themselves, but we might get lucky?"

Teallaura
01-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Lavaria turns to their employer, "Were not the entire staff accounted for this morn?"

Chaotic Void
01-15-2017, 01:31 PM
(Lavaria)

Magnes turns to you and says, "Of course. What little staff we have lives here. Everyone was present and accounted for."

Teallaura
02-04-2017, 06:31 PM
[:doh:]

Excellent...


[Okay, who is good at tracking?]

Spartacus
02-05-2017, 09:11 AM
[:hi:
what did you have in mind?]

Teallaura
02-05-2017, 12:47 PM
[Two things: a list of everyone that the kid might have willingly gone off with - along with locating info and physical descriptions and someone backtracking that first set of footprints.]

Spartacus
02-05-2017, 12:55 PM
[I imagine the tracks only go so far, and it'll be impossible once we get to a paved road.]

Teallaura
02-05-2017, 07:29 PM
[Probably, but I think we should make sure - while our employer is compiling our suspect list. Whatever they used sat there a while - see if that left tracks on the shoulder.]