PDA

View Full Version : He Appeared

Meh Gerbil
11-30-2016, 08:44 AM
I was wondering the other day why God doesn't make more personal appearances.
Let's say He did, and that He appeared to you and said, "Give 10% of your money to the poor."

I think if that happened that quite nearly every person at TWEB would do as instructed. (1)

I thought maybe one reason why this doesn't happen is that something more intimate is required.
I thought maybe God wants to turn us into the kind of people who give of ourselves - which is something entirely different than simply obeying a divine fiat.

If that is true then we've a God who is working on a level that goes far beyond what the legalists envision.

NOTES
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: Some atheists wouldn't, because they need to buy the crack cocaine, but whatever

Sparko
11-30-2016, 09:55 AM
I agree. God wants us to change and become better because we want to be better and do the right thing because we know it is the right thing, and to actually love our neighbor because they are our neighbor and not just because "God says so"

I am still working on it. But I at least have the desire to be better even if I don't always follow through yet.

Scrawly
11-30-2016, 10:21 AM
MG let's go on a road trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmWmvR_PwXA

Meh Gerbil
11-30-2016, 11:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j741TUIET0

Teallaura
11-30-2016, 05:53 PM
I think ultimately we are to recover the divine image He made us in. That's more than looking in a mirror - it's becoming like Him. I don't think we can except by faith and that means learning to trust. You never trust someone who is proving themselves constantly - you don't need to. You do trust when you have faith they will deliver - and having provided His Son, He shouldn't need to prove Himself again (He does anyway in many ways) and especially not in big flashy ways.

Besides, that didn't work with the Israelites... Seriously, plagues, parting seas, pillars of cloud and fire - and they still whine at every hardship?

They are us.

firstfloor
12-06-2016, 01:55 AM
The reason He is hiding is that He knows He'd be arrested.

Meh Gerbil
12-06-2016, 12:12 PM
The reason He is hiding is that He knows He'd be arrested.
That's why we had to get rid of Obama.
Once Obama is gone then God will be safe again.

firstfloor
12-06-2016, 02:04 PM
That's why we had to get rid of Obama.
Once Obama is gone then God will be safe again.
Quite so. No doubt someone is already thinking about uniforms for the US religious police and looking at how they do things in Saudi Arabia.

Sparko
12-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Quite so. No doubt someone is already thinking about uniforms for the US religious police and looking at how they do things in Saudi Arabia.

already got them.

beware.

Meh Gerbil
12-06-2016, 05:03 PM
I'll defend you when the religious police come for you.
I'd go with the insanity defense.

Jedidiah
12-06-2016, 07:04 PM

Or diminished capacity.

firstfloor
12-06-2016, 11:43 PM
I appreciate how fortunate I am to have a friend like you. Remember that accusation of heresy can land anywhere and I would like to assure you of my assistance if the time comes - with the midnight flit or whatever seems appropriate to the circumstances.
We should remember that in the new theocracy what matters most is the appearance of piety (in public) and the indoctrination of the innocents. Below the surface it is rotten and criminals always move into the areas where prohibitions are in force.

Meh Gerbil
12-07-2016, 05:34 AM
I appreciate how fortunate I am to have a friend like you. Remember that accusation of heresy can land anywhere and I would like to assure you of my assistance if the time comes - with the midnight flit or whatever seems appropriate to the circumstances.
We should remember that in the new theocracy what matters most is the appearance of piety (in public) and the indoctrination of the innocents. Below the surface it is rotten and criminals always move into the areas where prohibitions are in force.
You've a better chance of surviving the coming Inquisition if you'd stop posting this subversive nonsense.
By way of learning I've cleaned up your post, see below.

I appreciate how blessed I am to have a comrade like you. Remember that accusation of heresy can land anywhere and I would like to assure you of my assistance if the time comes. We should remember that in the new theocracy what matters most is vigilance and piety and the enlightenment of the innocents.
Feel free to send your posts to me in advance, over an encrypted line, and I'll edit them for you.
Your homework assignment: Find yourself a 'Make America Great Again' hat and wear it in public.

rogue06
12-07-2016, 05:37 AM
You've a better chance of surviving the coming Inquisition if you'd stop posting this subversive nonsense.
By way of learning I've cleaned up your post, see below.

Feel free to send your posts to me in advance, over an encrypted line, and I'll edit them for you.
Your homework assignment: Find yourself a 'Make America Great Again' hat and wear it in public.
Pro tip: work the word "yuuuuge" into conversations at least twice a day.

firstfloor
12-09-2016, 05:01 AM
It looks like Trump's men will be too busy stuffing their pockets to worry about inquisitions.

Meh Gerbil
12-09-2016, 05:18 AM
It looks like Trump's men will be too busy stuffing their pockets to worry about inquisitions.
I hope they all get filthy rich.
I don't know why anyone would be opposed to that.

firstfloor
12-09-2016, 05:25 AM
I hope they all get filthy rich.
I don't know why anyone would be opposed to that.
Puzder to get charge of low wage unregulated workforce. The US will be even more awash with fatburgers

Meh Gerbil
12-09-2016, 06:19 AM
Puzder to get charge of low wage unregulated workforce. The US will be even more awash with fatburgers
Please don't throw around the term 'f*tburgers' on this forum.
Your membership is already hanging by a thread.

Sparko
12-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Please don't throw around the term 'f*tburgers' on this forum.
Your membership is already hanging by a thread.

Do I need to ban him, AGAIN? He is getting to be a lot of work.

Darth Executor
12-14-2016, 09:50 AM

Why? I think you'd make an excellent executioner. Imagine all the beheading jokes you'd get to tell your clients before their melon flies off.

rogue06
12-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Why? I think you'd make an excellent executioner. Imagine all the beheading jokes you'd get to tell your clients before their melon flies off.
Chuckling while being decapitated gives a whole new meaning to the expression "die laughing"