Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Thomas Oden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Oden

Thomas Oden (recently deceased), went from being a classic liberal scholar to embracing orthodoxy. Comments welcome. Especially from robrecht and psstein.

Didn't he begin promoting a return to "classical Christianity" and the writings of the early church because he feels that everything done today is contaminated by politics?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Didn't he begin promoting a return to "classical Christianity" and the writings of the early church because he feels that everything done today is contaminated by politics?
      Yes, I think he delved into that area in his book "Turning Around the Mainline". A good synopsis of his journey can be read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
        Thomas Oden (recently deceased), went from being a classic liberal scholar to embracing orthodoxy. Comments welcome. Especially from robrecht and psstein.
        What specifically interests you about my opinion on Oden's views? Specifically, which of his views would you like me to comment upon?
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          What specifically interests you about my opinion on Oden's views?
          Your opinions are quite informed.

Specifically, which of his views would you like me to comment upon?
          Nothing in particular, I'm just looking for any comments in general if you're familiar with his life and work.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
            Your opinions are quite informed.

Nothing in particular, I'm just looking for any comments in general if you're familiar with his life and work.
            I'm not familiar with his work, but a brief article about some of his major themes looks interesting, for example, his focus on paleo-orthodoxy, getting back to the consensus of the old church prior to major schisms. I would go further (Oden may or may not agree, I don't know), and address the schism between Christianity and Judaism. So much of our Christian faith can be best understood within its Jewish matrix. The writings of Paul, for example, come alive when one reads them within his Jewish context. Christianity is not merely a faith about Jesus, but it is, more fundamentally, the faith of Jesus, the Jewish faith of Jesus and Paul in the God of Israel who will fulfill the promises made to Abraham for the benefit of all nations. I'd like to know how Oden would approach this question. Have you read much of his work? In the meantime, he has become another person I hope to have lengthy conversations with in the world to come, where our minds will be fully enlightened.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              I'm not familiar with his work, but a brief article about some of his major themes looks interesting, for example, his focus on paleo-orthodoxy, getting back to the consensus of the old church prior to major schisms. I would go further (Oden may or may not agree, I don't know), and address the schism between Christianity and Judaism. So much of our Christian faith can be best understood within its Jewish matrix. The writings of Paul, for example, come alive when one reads them within his Jewish context. Christianity is not merely a faith about Jesus, but it is, more fundamentally, the faith of Jesus, the Jewish faith of Jesus and Paul in the God of Israel who will fulfill the promises made to Abraham for the benefit of all nations. I'd like to know how Oden would approach this question. Have you read much of his work? In the meantime, he has become another person I hope to have lengthy conversations with in the world to come, where our minds will be fully enlightened.
              Thanks for your thoughts here, Rob. I have not read much of his work at all.

Comment

I was considering reading his magnum opus on paleo-orthodoxy, but one of my theology nerd friends recommended I give it a pass because he thought his writing style was hopelessly dull.

I think the concept has merit though so I still want to get around to it at some point.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I was considering reading his magnum opus on paleo-orthodoxy, but one of my theology nerd friends recommended I give it a pass because he thought his writing style was hopelessly dull.

I think the concept has merit though so I still want to get around to it at some point.
                  I'd eventually like to read his commentary on 1&2 Tim. & Titus.

Comment

In particular, I'm interested in his reasoning for remaining a Protestant.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      In particular, I'm interested in his reasoning for remaining a Protestant.
                      I suspect you will find the core of his justification for remaining Protestant in his Justification Reader. From the book jacket:

Ranging broadly through Christian history and across all branches of the church, Oden cites the writings of such major figures as Athanasius, Basil, Gregory Nazianzus, and John Chrysostom in the East and Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine, and Gregory the Great in the West. Although Oden presents all the relevant historical texts on justification, the book also includes his own insightful explication of the doctrine. His work shows that what these church fathers teach on justification was restated almost verbatim by the sixteenth-century Reformers and can still be confessed in good conscience by Christians from every communion.

But it's not as if Catholics can't also debate the interpretation of Paul's writings.

Comment

I'm very familiar with his name, but have only read a little by or about him. I was of the impression that he was solidly conservative Wesleyan-Arminian, and that he found such a position consistent with "paleo-orthodoxy."
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment