Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does anyone have "The Gospels in Context" by Gerd Theissen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have "The Gospels in Context" by Gerd Theissen?

In the Old TWeb a member posted an excerpt from this, and I need to check it for accuracy and get the publication information. Please let me know.
    The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

If you have the excerpt, you could search to see if it's on Google Books. (I don't have it, sorry.)
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have it, but it's "in a box" while I move my library from my home office to my Church office.

It's available on Amazon in paperback
      http://www.amazon.com/Gospels-Contex...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Would that give you the publication info you need? If not, I'll be opening my boxes over the next couple weeks.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It will give me the publication information, but I want to also check the accuracy of the quote…. I can wait until you move if no one else has it.

sigpic

Comment

Piggo, its not on google books, checked that.

sigpic

Comment

Cool -- I'll keep an eye out for it! It may be a couple weeks, as Mrs CP starts her pre-op and Surgery soon, and we've been getting ready for that. I definitely remember seeing it, though.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Awesome, if no one else has it, that would be great. I will just make a note that I need to go back and add that source information.

sigpic

Comment

I found my book!

Comment

I seems like things are okay now. I did find the book in a nearby university if you just need some verification of pages

The gospels in context : social and political history in the synoptic tradition / Gerd Theissen ; translated by Linda M. Maloney.
                  Publication Info. Minneapolis : Fortress Press, 1991.

Comment

CP or Mike,the page numbers I have is 267-268, and here is the quote I need to verify:

Vespasian could be regarded in the East as a ruler who usurped Messianic expectations and legitimated himself through prophets and miracles. It made no difference that he himself was a modest man. As a usurper, he had to rely on loud and vigorous propaganda. The warning against pseudo-messiahs in Mk 13:21–22 could have been formulated against the background of such a "propaganda campaign" for the victorious new emperor, who created peace by subduing the Jews and whose legitimacy was supported by signs and wonders. . . .The future expectations expressed in Mk. 13.14ff. can thus be located with ease in the circumstances around 70 C.E.

sigpic

Comment

OK, got it --- scanning.

Comment

The Gospels and Their Provenance 267
                        me then yet more securely in chains and keep me for yourself; for you, Caesar, are master not of me only, but of land and sea and the whole human race." (Bell. 3.400-402)
                        This prophecy was also made public. Suetonius reports it in his life of Vespasian: "And one of his high-born prisoners, Josephus by name, as he was being put in chains, declared most confidently that he would soon be released by the same man, who would then, however, be emperor" ( Vesp, 5.6). In the rabbinic tradition, it was credited to Rabbi Johanan ben Zakkai—another witness to its great "popularity."'7
                        However, legitimacy was created for the new ruler not only through prophecies, but also by means of "signs and wonders." Suetonius speaks openly of their propaganda value:
                        Vespasian as yet lacked prestige and a certain divinity, so to speak, since he was an unexpected and still new-made emperor; but these also were given him. A man of the people who was blind, and another who was lame, came to him together as he sat on the tribunal, begging for the help for their disorders which Serapis had promised in a dream; for the god declared that Vespasian would restore the eyes, if he would spit upon them, and give strength to the leg, if he would deign to touch it with his heel. Though he had hardly any faith that this could possibly succeed, and therefore shrank even from making the attempt, he was at last prevailed upon by his friends and tried both things in public before a large crowd; and with success. ( Vesp. 7.2-3)
                        Tacitus also knew of these miracles. He agrees that they indicate "the favor of heaven" and "a certain partiality of the gods toward Vespasian" ( Hist. 4.81.1).
                        We may also mention a series of "signs" that occurred during the siege of Jerusalem.78 Tacitus writes of warring columns in the heavens, sudden lights around the temple, the bursting open of the temple gates, the exit of the gods. At the end of this series of signs stands the oracle that proph-esied world rule for Vespasian ( Hist. 5.13). Josephus, probably using the same Roman source, included this series of marvels in his account of the destruction of Jerusalem and added some additional signs (Bell. 6.296- 314). In his story, they also lead up to Vespasian's ascent to world power.
                        Thus, Vespasian could be regarded in the East as a ruler who usurped messianic expectations and legitimated himself through prophets and mir-acles. It made no difference that he' himself was a modest man. As a usurper, he had to rely on loud and vigorous propaganda. The warning
                        77. Cf. A. Schalit, "Die Erhebung Vespasians." P. Schafer, "Die Flucht des Johanan b. Zakkais."
                        78. Cf. Schwier, Tempel and Tempelzersidrung, 313ff.

268 THE STRUCTURING GENRES OF THE SYNOPTIC TRADITION
                        against pseudo-messiahs in Mk 13:21-22 could have been formulated against the background of such a "propaganda campaign" for the victorious new emperor, who created peace by subduing the Jews and whose legitimacy was supported by signs and wonders. In that case, the pseudo-messiahs would not have been leaders of the revolt against the Romans, nor would they represent expectations based on memories of those leaders. On the contrary, what was criticized was the usurpation of religious hopes by the Roman ruler who demolished the uprising. This interpretation is more in harmony with the traditions that have f6und their way into Mark 13, because even the prophecy from the year 40 warned against the hubris of power. The same is true of the whole Son of man tradition, especially Daniel 7: the reign of the Son of man destroys the rule of blasphemous world powers. It is his coming, and not the desperate efforts of native revolutionaries to achieve liberation, that puts an end to oppression.
                        The future expectations expressed in Mk 13:14ff. can thus be located with ease in the circumstances around 70 C.E. But in that case, Mk 13:9-14 must relate to the current situation of the Markan community. Certainly the evangelist has collected some traditional sayings here. But his inclu¬sion of them in 13:9-13, and their connection with the saying about the spread of the gospel in 13:10, could depend on concrete events. We need to show, then, that it is likely that Syrian Christians could experience things in the period ca. 66-76 C.E. that correspond to the words of Jesus presented in 13:9-13: pressures from all sides (13:13), mutual betrayal of members of the same family (13:12), trials before Jewish and gentile courts (13:9), but also the certainty that the gospel would spread in the face of persecution.79
                        Although we have no direct evidence of the persecution of Christians in Syria, we can conclude indirectly from Josephus that Christians came under pressure at that time. They were close to the Jews and shared their fate, since they were also separated from the surrounding society by their rejection of the gods and by their restricted table fellowship (cf. Gal 2:llff.). Because they did not adopt all the Jewish separatist rules, they appeared as a group somewhere between Jews and Gentiles. Josephus reports of them at the beginning of the Jewish war:8°
                        The Syrians on their side killed no less a number of Jews; they, too, slaugh¬tered those whom they caught in'the towns, not merely now, as before, from
                        79. On what follows, cf. C. Breytenbach, Nachfolge und Zukunftserwartung, 311-30; R. Kithschelm, Jungerverfolgung und Geschick jesu.
                        80. Breytenbach ( Nachfolge und Zukunftserwartung, 327) also sees in the historical tensions described by Josephus the historical background for Mk 13:9ff.

Comment

Awesome thank you, is this the same bibliographical information you have?

The gospels in context : social and political history in the synoptic tradition / Gerd Theissen ; translated by Linda M. Maloney.

sigpic

Comment

lemme doublecheck -- the book is out in my office.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                              Awesome thank you, is this the same bibliographical information you have?

EGGzackly

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X